Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will wait to I get my K1 (ordered) and after a while comment from a fact based user experience perspective...... I know.... no fun at all am I.

02-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #32

Grid is not simple ON/OFF. From the features pages of the K-1 on Ricoh's website:

Smart Function:
Viewfinder shooting: ON/OFF
Live View shooting: change of grid pattern

Live View:
A choice of grid display from five patterns and two colors (white or black)
03-01-2016, 01:35 AM   #33
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Grid is not simple ON/OFF. From the features pages of the K-1 on Ricoh's website:

Smart Function:
Viewfinder shooting: ON/OFF
Live View shooting: change of grid pattern

Live View:
A choice of grid display from five patterns and two colors (white or black)
Good point!

Only LV option. I see. As I thought - smart function is just duplication function of INFO button and only for using LCD.

Rather amateur control method. Power Live View on, choose GRID on the dial, then use third wheel to choose grid and colours....
Who is the author of such algorithm?

If choosing of all setting of the upper dial are made via LCD monitor with third wheel, this system seems to me rather strange.

Last edited by ogl; 03-01-2016 at 01:50 AM.
03-01-2016, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

But it's not 'just duplication' - for some of us it's a replacement. Ie like me if you're a macro shooter and shoot from below your subject at a tricky angle then it's ergonomically beautiful having those controls on the top when using the flippy screen - everything is where you want it, at the top, you can work from above without needing to rotate the cam to get to something obscure in a menu.

Same for unusual landscape angles using the flippy too. As far as I can see it makes the concept of a flippy screen complete, and without being a Pentax fanboy, for the outdoor photographer it's a lot smarter than the flim flam flipscreens and menus other brands seem to have. They've actually thought about this. What's the point of being able to use a flippy screen to see what you're shooting from a weird angle or from above if you then can't the access the controls you need? Makes complete sense to have controls on the top too if you think about it.

Last edited by Nass; 03-01-2016 at 03:19 AM.
03-01-2016, 03:33 AM   #35
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
But it's not 'just duplication' - for some of us it's a replacement. Ie like me if you're a macro shooter and shoot from below your subject at a tricky angle then it's ergonomically beautiful having those controls on the top when using the flippy screen - everything is where you want it, at the top, you can work from above without needing to rotate the cam to get to something obscure in a menu.
How do you think - is it better to offer touch-screen LCD for such types of photos instead of additional dial and wheel?
03-01-2016, 04:24 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How do you think - is it better to offer touch-screen LCD for such types of photos instead of additional dial and wheel?
Yeah, it's funny you mention that. I used to be convinced that touchscreen was the way forward a few years ago, but the weird thing is I've really really gone off them in the last couple of years. Maybe I'm just an analog old school kind of guy but I really like and prefer physical buttons to do stuff rather than touchscreens and/or electronic menus. Also, on a technical note I gather touchscreens are tricky to use with gloves, and harder to use if you're a glasses guy (no physical feedback), again some more reasons for me to dislike.

I should imagine that the inevitable trend will be towards touchscreens or some combo, but I sure hope they don't lose the physical buttons and go all minimalist apple on us! I'd hope they do both/all options - that we can also set (some of those top button functions should be user-choice settable surely) rather than just choose one style only touchscreen or only button interface. Ie try and keep everyone happy.
03-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'd hope they do both/all options - that we can also set (some of those top button functions should be user-choice settable surely) rather than just choose one style only touchscreen or only button interface. Ie try and keep everyone happy.
That's exactly how Nikon has approached the issue with the D500, from what I read. Some touch screen functions on it's flippy rear screen, plus heaps of old fashioned buttons, knobs and dials on the camera body.

So I don't think Japanese DSLR camera makers are going to go all 'smart phone' on users anytime soon. Thank God.

03-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Only LV option. I see. As I thought - smart function is just duplication function of INFO button and only for using LCD.
Not really with the INFO button you can only step in one direction - with 10 grid options - suppose you want #2 and you are on #3. You have to push the button at least 9 times to get back to #2. . With the selector dial just turn it back one.
03-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #39
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Not really with the INFO button you can only step in one direction - with 10 grid options - suppose you want #2 and you are on #3. You have to push the button at least 9 times to get back to #2. . With the selector dial just turn it back one.
There are only 5 grids. No 10.

It depends from layout of grids.
GXR has 4 types of crops - you can have direct access to it and to choose crop type by wheel very quick.
03-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing that bugs me is there is no GPS control option, which means the astrotracer mode, is again, hidden in the menu structure.
03-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The thing that bugs me is there is no GPS control option, which means the astrotracer mode, is again, hidden in the menu structure.
And we can probably still not trigger it with the intervallometer.
03-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #42

Re: Crop mode - again not just ON/OFF

Smart Function Crop Mode - selector
Full Frame
APS-C
Auto (set by what lens mounted)

See video ~1 min 30 seconds in.
Pentax K-1 Hands-On Demo Videos - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com
03-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #43
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I was wrong - 3d wheel works together with main command wheels -

Special K? Pentax K-1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

The two main command dials, along with the camera's Green Button can be customized separately for each exposure mode, meaning you get to choose which function you want on each dial, for each mode. For instance, I found myself setting Aperture Priority mode to offer Aperture Value on the front dial and ISO on the rear dial, then leave the Multi-function dial controlling exposure compensation

What is the St. Andrew's cross between SR and Flash?

I see in VF - ISO, +/-, SR.. What's else?
I think we can change it via VF with 3d wheel.
CROP too. Wi-Fi has LED on the body.

Grid pattern could be changed only via LCD, but could be ON/OFF in VF.
(Viewfinder shooting: ON/OFF, Live View shooting: change of grid pattern)

This settings couldn't be changed via VF (?).
3. CH/CL (Switching between Continuous Shooting (with a choice of three drive modes) and Single Frame Shooting modes)
4. BKT (Bracketing value shift in bracket shooting)
5. HDR (Change of HDR shooting mode)

What is the several rectangles?
Pixel Shift? Shooting modes?
Like here
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 

Last edited by ogl; 03-01-2016 at 11:18 PM.
03-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That should be the usual shooting mode/timer settings button.
03-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Do we know what will happen when you push that GPS button?