Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Let's prepare an FAQ to help newcomers entering Pentax

Hi all Pentax Forum members,

The announcement of the K-1 will no doubt be attracting the attention of many people worldwide. A good portion of these may be entirely unfamiliar with Pentax. Some of them may be committed to another brand, but are curious and considering Pentax. Others may have no brand loyalty at all, and are presently having many questions in their minds regarding the K-1 specifically, and regarding Pentax gear in general. And as for those outside Pentax who've already made up their minds to purchase the K-1, they will soon have many questions to ask, being new to the brand.

Therefore, i would like to propose that we in Pentax Forums prepare an FAQ, in anticipation of the many questions that must be building up even now.

We can start by building up a list of what we think are typical questions a Pentax-newcomer would ask. Try to put ourselves in their shoes. Many things we Pentax users take for granted will seem new and unknown to them. Let's contribute questions to this thread. We can think about providing the answers as the next phase of this thread, once we've gathered enough questions; or even provide answers immediately if we prefer.

In this way, we can present the newcomers, our new friends in the Pentax community, with a "Welcome Gift".

Besides that, the FAQ may also function as a marketing tool, so to speak, because sometimes, what helps a prospective customer decide is the ready availability of information to clear his doubts.

I've run this idea with Adam, and he plans to make this into a "Sticky Thread", and may also place it on the PF Homepage.

Of course, many of the questions listed here in this FAQ would have already appeared elsewhere in the forum, and have been answered, but the idea here is to "bring them all under one roof", for the convenience of the newcomers.

So let's start listing questions. I'll kick off:

1. Can I use AA batteries for my camera?

2. How do I set ISO parameters?

3. What's that clunking feeling as I move the camera about?

4. What's Bright, Normal, Bleach Bypass, Muted etc.?

5. How do I lock the mode knob? How do I unlock it?

6. Is there an optical DOF preview button? Where?

7. What if I use eye glasses and need to adjust the viewfinder?

8. What flashguns work with Pentax gear?

9. I love landscape/ birding/ macro/ portraiture etc etc, are there any Pentax lenses suitable for this?

Keep the questions coming.....

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-29-2016 at 08:37 AM.
02-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote

The announcement of the K-1 will no doubt be attracting the attention of many people worldwide. A good portion of these may be entirely unfamiliar with Pentax. Some of them may be committed to another brand, but are curious and considering Pentax. Others may have no brand loyalty at all, and are presently having many questions in their minds regarding the K-1 specifically, and regarding Pentax gear in general. And as for those outside Pentax who've already made up their minds to purchase the K-1, they will soon have many questions to ask, being new to the brand.

Therefore, i would like to propose that we in Pentax Forums prepare an FAQ, in anticipation of the many questions that must be building up even now.

We can start by building up a list of what we think are typical questions a Pentax-newcomer would ask. Try to put ourselves in their shoes. Many things we Pentax users take for granted will seem new and unknown to them. Let's contribute questions to this thread. We can think about providing the answers as the next phase of this thread, once we've gathered enough questions; or even provide answers immediately if we prefer.

In this way, we can present the newcomers, our new friends in the Pentax community, with a "Welcome Gift".

Besides that, the FAQ may also function as a marketing tool, so to speak, because sometimes, what helps a prospective customer decide is the ready availability of information to clear his doubts.

I've run this idea with Adam, and he plans to make this into a "Sticky Thread", and may also place it on the PF Homepage.

Of course, many of the questions listed here in this FAQ would have already appeared elsewhere in the forum, and have been answered, but the idea here is to "bring them all under one roof", for the convenience of the newcomers.

So let's start listing questions. I'll kick off:

1. Can I use AA batteries for my camera?

2. How do I set ISO parameters?

3. What's that clunking feeling as I move the camera about?

4. What's Bright, Normal, Bleach Bypass, Muted etc.?

5. How do I lock the mode knob? How do I unlock it?

6. Is there an optical DOF preview button? Where?

7. What if I use eye glasses and need to adjust the viewfinder?

8. What flashguns work with Pentax gear?

9. I love landscape/ birding/ macro/ portraiture etc etc, are there any Pentax lenses suitable for this?

Why won't the ISO go below 200?
02-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Forum Member

How can I use M lenses with my new Pentax DSLR? (instructions)
What lenses do you recommend for beginning lenscape/portrait/street photography?
Do I need a battery grip?
How to calibrate GPS? Tipps? (because there a lot of people with problems)
02-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And link them to the beginners sticky https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/49283-us...ces-about.html

02-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What is Catch-In Focus and how can I use it for better results with manual focus lenses?
Is my focusing screen interchangeable? What are the options for alternate screens?
Which Pentax lenses are weather-sealed?
What's this green button do?
02-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Why won't the ISO go below 200?
FAQ? never heard it before - for obvious reasons...
02-29-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Why is the mirror flopping like it's taking multiple exposures, when I only pressed the shutter once.

Sure as hope that doesn't become a question. :P

02-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I could swear this was a common question asked by new Pentax shooters who don't realize that activating Highlight Correction limits the minimum sensitivity to ISO 200.
02-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I could swear this was a common question asked by new Pentax shooters who don't realize that activating Highlight Correction limits the minimum sensitivity to ISO 200.
Ok - well, I'll take your word for it
02-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Which reasons are that? I've seen the question lots of times as well.
02-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is TaV mode for? When should I use it?
Which autofocus lenses allow for manual focusing without switching the camera to manual focus?
Can I magnify the image to help focusing? How do I do that?
If I use Program mode, can I override the settings? How?
Are there any situations when I should turn off Shake Reduction? What are they?
03-01-2016, 02:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Which reasons are that?
simply that they do go below ISO200 - but please pardon my ignorance - it's not an issue I was aware of, and the brief formulation of the post didn't expand on the circumstances in which the problem arose. There's so much ill-informed negativity of forums that one too easily gets into the bad habit of assuming some comments are of that type. I apologise, and will try to learn my lesson
03-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
. How do I understand Pentax's system for naming lenses, eg DFA, DA, FA, DA*, FA*, etc.

. Why are there two types of "Limited" lens ranges, DA LTD and FA LTD?

. I've heard about SDM problems in Pentax pro-grade lenses and as a pro, I'm concerned; have these issues been addressed? Do the newly announced Full Frame DFA zooms use this SDM technology?

. Can non-Pentax lenses be mounted on the K-1? Any restrictions?

. Any working professionals today using Pentax equipment? Any links to view their work?

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.
03-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote

There could be links to the myriad discussions already in the can apropos to the question. "Read more on the subject with these discussions - get more info on the subject about left-handed frotus adjusters".

This would save a ot of back and forth stuff.

Last edited by solar1; 03-01-2016 at 08:35 AM.
03-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, we could definitely include links. At this stage though, we're focusing on gathering questions - typical queries/concerns a non-Pentax user might have.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-01-2016 at 08:04 PM.