Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I "like" that digital photography attitude, 5fps is slow for me as am sport/wildlife photographer. Come on in film days sport/wildlife great shots were to you know and nobody complained.

02-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
I shoot with a k5iis, 300 (no TC), and 150-450 Thinking about k-1, but for 80% birding/wildlife and 20% other practice (urban, landscape...), is it really a good idea....
@JPT was told by a Pentax rep that the K-1 at 12,800 ISO is like the K-5iis at 3200 ISO: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/315224-my-report-cp-2016-a.html
If it's true, that would be a huge advantage in photographing wildlife. Imagine 450mm f8 and 1/1000th second in less than optimal light.

Even if the risk of vignetting from the lens makes you use the K-1 in crop mode, it's really a K-5iis in that mode (16mp, no AA filter, 14 bit RAW) - but with the ability to use much higher ISO than you could on the K-5iis.

If you can afford it, why not?
02-29-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Sure, one can capture the occasional odd bird or two with Pentax equipment, but I know no serious birder who shoots with Pentax.
A bit over the top to some of us who consider ourselves "serious" bird photographers. I'm usually put off by phrases like this because they can be so easily misconstrued to be arrogant. But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps you meant you just haven't met any in person yet... Or, maybe you really meant birders and not bird photographers. See? I'm trying to get you off the hook. I don't know why.
03-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
I shoot with a k5iis, 300 (no TC), and 150-450 Thinking about k-1, but for 80% birding/wildlife and 20% other practice (urban, landscape...), is it really a good idea....
If you can get close enough to shot with a K5IIs and DA300 (if this is real wildlife, then I congratulate you , you are good!), you'll be able to do the same with a K-1 and DFA150-450 @450mm (except it can be a bit shorter than 450mm because of some focus breathing).

---------- Post added 01-03-16 at 08:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Sure, one can capture the occasional odd bird or two with Pentax equipment, but I know no serious birder who shoots with Pentax.
Of course! Pentax users are 1 out of 20 photographers, and for birding it is dramatically less than 1/20. Before the DA560 (3 years ago), Pentax had nothing to offer to birding (except binoculars and spotting scopes). Last year I was at a birders meeting, several hundred of birders where there, including rep of companies like Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovki and Kowa. Even some people do digiscoping and / or use superzooms such as FZ100 or Canon S60 to do HD video. Pentax was totally absent, I was the only one with my K-3 and DA300+TC. That did not prevent me from taking bird photos, some of them very nice whenever I could get close enough.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-01-2016 at 12:32 AM.
03-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
Hello Fenwoodian. Big Dawg here. Now you know at least one. Been shooting birds for years and years with a Pentax. Am I serious? Well yeah I am. Am I a professional? No I am not. But I will use my Sigma 50-500 and the K1 the same as I have used the K7, KX and the K10D with the 50-500 to get those bird shots.

Just wish folks were not such Brand Snobs.
I'm not a brand snob, I own 3 systems currently and have owned many others over the years. I just try to use the best tool for the job. Sometimes it's a Pentax, but other times it's a Fuji X, Canon, Sony, or a Nikon.

You are the "Brand Snob Fan Boy" who probably has little or no experience with other brands.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-01-2016 at 12:43 AM.
03-01-2016, 12:49 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

If my pentax cameras used the best tool for the job, they wouldn't be using me.

Anyway, I have a K1 on order and will be using it for a while with my DFA 150-450 before deciding if I'm better putting the K3 back on it. I'm anticipating it will probally be the K1 all the way..... and by the way, I'm rarely serious about anything these days...... times way to short.

I've grown to like the ability to zoom out and get more enviroment into some shots...... and higher ISO for getting higher shutter speeds etc will be quite attractive with the K1.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-01-2016 at 12:55 AM.
03-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As I see it, the k-1 could completely replace the k5iis for telephoto use. Cost is the biggest drawback. Size may be another, but attached to da*300/4 or larger lens, the extra bulk and weight may handle better. I know I prefer the k5iis with the extra weight of the grip than without on the da*300. For the times stuff is close enough for FF with the 300mm, that's a bonus, the rest of the time you get the added whiz-bang features of the newer camera and at least the same image quality as the k5iis.

Comparison with a k3 for telephoto stuff may be trickier.

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I "like" that digital photography attitude, 5fps is slow for me as am sport/wildlife photographer. Come on in film days sport/wildlife great shots were to you know and nobody complained.
A good use of high fps: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/258737-nature-8-3fps-...ght-shots.html

03-01-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #23

I agree that if you have options in the "tool" department, you should definitely choose the tool you feel is best for each job. If you're like a lot of us and you don't have a lot of options, you simply use the tools you have, and try to get the most out of them.

For me, the choice to go with Pentax over Canikon wasn't based necessarily on which one had the highest quality lenses, fastest autofocus, best low light performance, highest video quality, etc. It was simply about getting a system I could afford to grow...(my budget won't allow me to have multiple systems or a bag full of the latest and greatest lenses). Pentax allows me to do that. I love being able to find inexpensive old glass and use it on my digital Pentax bodies to get great results. I know there are people who can't imagine using old "cheap" glass on modern expensive camera bodies (of any system), but I enjoy and even crave doing just that.

But I digress...

If you have a K-1 (or are getting one) and want to use it to become a serious birder (or casual if that suits you better), go for it! The extra resolution and ISO improvements will probably allow for great results.

Regarding autofocus, I don't use it much for wildlife. I find that my subjects are usually far enough away that I'm typically at or near infinity most of the time - so it's easier to just focus myself. This also helps with "stealth" as my autofocus telephoto lenses are screw-drive and will make some noise otherwise... it may not be the ideal situation, but it works for me.

Happy shooting!
03-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My camera dealer says that his rep reported that Tamron will make the 150-600 in the K mount but not the 15-30, 24-70, or 70-200.
03-01-2016, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #25

Sorry if You were upset that I said I hate a brand snob Fenwoodian. I didn't say you were one I just said I don't like them.

As to never having used other brands, I'm sorry I have to tell you that that is not correct. I have not only used them but I have owned them. Both film and digital. I chose Pentax because I like Legacy Glass. Old lens that in my youth I could not afford. I now can afford them and indulge myself in using them. They are now and have been for many years a joy. Maybe not the "Correct" tool but they are the tools I love and with a Pentax they are all Image Stabilized. Getting close to 70 years old the Pentax and the IS contained within the body is needed. I shoot almost exclusively hand held sans tripod. I have also owned 100's of film cameras as well but since digital is free film and film and developing it is getting more expensive each day I will stay with Pentax digital cameras too. The K1 will give me what I used to have back in my Spotmatic and K1000 days. So I get the best of both worlds. I get to use my Legacy glass and a Full Format camera they were designed to be used on.

A part of my collection from a few years ago. I've sold off some of these to finance new toys. And these do not include my Zeiss lens nor my 600 and 800mm Viv series one solid cat lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Big Dawg; 03-01-2016 at 02:00 PM.
03-01-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Wildlife K-1 https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/posts/10153223603507693:0
03-01-2016, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
National Geographic photographer Jason Edwards has swapped brands now, but for *many* years he did all his wildlife stuff with Pentax.
03-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
@JPT was told by a Pentax rep that the K-1 at 12,800 ISO is like the K-5iis at 3200 ISO: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/315224-my-report-cp-2016-a.html
If it's true, that would be a huge advantage in photographing wildlife. Imagine 450mm f8 and 1/1000th second in less than optimal light.

Even if the risk of vignetting from the lens makes you use the K-1 in crop mode, it's really a K-5iis in that mode (16mp, no AA filter, 14 bit RAW) - but with the ability to use much higher ISO than you could on the K-5iis.

If you can afford it, why not?
Yes a useable ISO 3200 or 6400 ill be a huge help for birds in low light(like here where I live ) & if the K1 has better AFC then it should be a good one for Birding...K3II+ 150-450 is also very good,just not if they move too fast..
04-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1 will give me what I used to have back in my Spotmatic and K1000 days. So I get the best of both worlds. I get to use my Legacy glass and a Full Format camera they were designed to be used on.
Thanks Big Dawg, I feel the same way. FF Pentax will be in my future because I want to see through my older SMCP lenses the way they were intended and I still love their handling. Many super wide angles are waiting to display their full view on digital. Until a future FF fits my budget or used prices are low enough, most of my shooting will continue to be film as long as I can get it.
04-02-2016, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Sorry if You were upset that I said I hate a brand snob Fenwoodian. I didn't say you were one I just said I don't like them.

As to never having used other brands, I'm sorry I have to tell you that that is not correct. I have not only used them but I have owned them. Both film and digital. I chose Pentax because I like Legacy Glass. Old lens that in my youth I could not afford. I now can afford them and indulge myself in using them. They are now and have been for many years a joy. Maybe not the "Correct" tool but they are the tools I love and with a Pentax they are all Image Stabilized. Getting close to 70 years old the Pentax and the IS contained within the body is needed. I shoot almost exclusively hand held sans tripod. I have also owned 100's of film cameras as well but since digital is free film and film and developing it is getting more expensive each day I will stay with Pentax digital cameras too. The K1 will give me what I used to have back in my Spotmatic and K1000 days. So I get the best of both worlds. I get to use my Legacy glass and a Full Format camera they were designed to be used on.

A part of my collection from a few years ago. I've sold off some of these to finance new toys. And these do not include my Zeiss lens nor my 600 and 800mm Viv series one solid cat lens.
Holy Moly!

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 08:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
My camera dealer says that his rep reported that Tamron will make the 150-600 in the K mount but not the 15-30, 24-70, or 70-200.
That's good news on the 150-600. Not surprised on the others though.

I hope Sigma make the 120-300/2.8 in K-mount next.That with a T/C is all I'd ever want for long fast glass.

Just hope Pentax finally have a competitive AF system in the K-1, something that can keep up.