Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We actually discussed these points yesterday, so here you go:

5 - it's certainly a possibility, though nothing like that is planned at the moment looking at the roadmap.

6 - the naming will continue as it always has (limited = small, good and made of metal, * = fast and good). They do aim to make cosmetic appearance and the ring color more consistent.

7 - lots of efforts are being made behind the scenes (on a global scale).

8 - another key issue that will be addressed. See more insight in the link I added in post #58.
Er, which link in post#58? The one that links to this page ?

03-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Er, which link in post#58? The one that links to this page ?
Oops. Just check the latest article on the homepage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, thanks for your efforts. But, to reiterate, what news of new 645 lenses? Whilst an obituary for the 25mm is fitting it isn't progress. What progress can we expect and when?
03-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Adam, thanks for your efforts. But, to reiterate, what news of new 645 lenses? Whilst an obituary for the 25mm is fitting it isn't progress. What progress can we expect and when?
This isn't really something that can be answered at the moment. More lenses (updated zooms) are planned and they will be released at some point in the near future. Also, there's still high demand for the DA 25mm, so it's possible that it will be re-released or made available by special order.

It turns out that new FA lenses are actually selling very well (especially the 80-160mm, 150, and 75), and feedback from most professionals shooting with the 645Z does not suggest that there is a desperate need for more lenses.

Finally, a 645 to K adapter with AF and AE support is being researched, though it's not officially a planned product.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
I don't really have any new questions for Ricoh at WPPI, but I would like to second the suggestions that I gave for CP+ here!
While your suggestions were great, based on my conversation with the reps it doesn't sound like something that would end up making it into a camera anytime in the near future. There would be a number of technical considerations that would make both the aperture ring suggestions and the composition adjustment bracketing feature hard or impractical to implement.

However, you can place a shortcut to composition adjustment right in the K-1's control panel, which makes it much faster to work with.

Adam

03-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

This isn't really something that can be answered at the moment. More lenses (updated zooms) are planned and they will be released at some point in the near future. Also, there's still high demand for the DA 25mm, so it's possible that it will be re-released or made available by special order.

It turns out that new FA lenses are actually selling very well (especially the 80-160mm, 150, and 75), and feedback from most professionals shooting with the 645Z does not suggest that there is a desperate need for more lenses.

Finally, a 645 to K adapter with AF and AE support is being researched, though it's not officially a planned product.
Thankyou for the reply Adam. Seems I may need to get the 80 -160 in it's non HD, non-aerobright, and porous form until the newer versions make an appearance. It rains a lot, and often sideways, where I take my pictures. It is frustrating when the body is weather sealed to have to compromise with non sealed lenses.
03-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #67
Forum Member

While your suggestions were great, based on my conversation with the reps it doesn't sound like something that would end up making it into a camera anytime in the near future. There would be a number of technical considerations that would make both the aperture ring suggestions and the composition adjustment bracketing feature hard or impractical to implement.

However, you can place a shortcut to composition adjustment right in the K-1's control panel, which makes it much faster to work with.
Thanks for the info Adam. Did you get these responses at CP+ or WPPI? I can see how the sensor shift idea was kind of a stretch, but I am very puzzled by their response to the stop-down metering on half-shutter-press idea. Did they realize that I was proposing a software-only change? To me it seems like all of the parts are already there (software wise). They just need to put them together in a different way.
03-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #68
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Adam. Did you get these responses at CP+ or WPPI? I can see how the sensor shift idea was kind of a stretch, but I am very puzzled by their response to the stop-down metering on half-shutter-press idea. Did they realize that I was proposing a software-only change? To me it seems like all of the parts are already there (software wise). They just need to put them together in a different way.
WPPI, from Dan. He said it had something to do with the way the camera hardware communicates with the lens.

He said he would convey the "minimum shutter speed" setting to the product team, though.

Adam

03-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #69
Forum Member

WPPI, from Dan. He said it had something to do with the way the camera hardware communicates with the lens.
Hmm... It sounds like what I was proposing got conflated with de-crippling the K-mount (which would be even better ) somewhere along the way. What I was proposing was a software/firmware change that would streamline the process of doing the stop-down metering (currently done with the green button) that is needed for K/M lenses in the absence of the aperture linkage. Did you get a chance to present the suggestions in my post here to the Ricoh people at CP+ as well?
03-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #70
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hmm... It sounds like what I was proposing got conflated with de-crippling the K-mount (which would be even better ) somewhere along the way. What I was proposing was a software/firmware change that would streamline the process of doing the stop-down metering (currently done with the green button) that is needed for K/M lenses in the absence of the aperture linkage. Did you get a chance to present the suggestions in my post here to the Ricoh people at CP+ as well?
No, I was pretty clear about the feature. We had a fairly extensive conversation about it. As for CP+, we haven't received a follow-up on the additional questions we asked, including yours.

Adam

03-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #71
Forum Member

No, I was pretty clear about the feature. We had a fairly extensive conversation about it. As for CP+, we haven't received a follow-up on the additional questions we asked, including yours.
Thanks for your understanding Adam. I don't mean to put you on the spot. I am just feeling a little frustrated about it. I guess what I don't understand is why the body to lens communication (or vice-versa) would have to be any different from what is currently done for the green-button approach to stop-down metering for K/M lenses? I don't know if that is something you can answer, but that is what bothers me about this response from Ricoh.
03-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #72
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for your understanding Adam. I don't mean to put you on the spot. I am just feeling a little frustrated about it. I guess what I don't understand is why the body to lens communication (or vice-versa) would have to be any different from what is currently done for the green-button approach to stop-down metering for K/M lenses? I don't know if that is something you can answer, but that is what bothers me about this response from Ricoh.
I'm not sure either. But at the end of the day, the green button is right there so manual lens metering isn't all that hard. All other reasons aside, it's understandable that resources will probably end up being spent on more mainstream features.

Adam

03-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Oops. Just check the latest article on the homepage.
Hello Adam, i didn't find the answer to the 645 adapter question. Did you have chance to propose that question to the representatives?
thanks.
03-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryan Quote
Hello Adam, i didn't find the answer to the 645 adapter question. Did you have chance to propose that question to the representatives?
thanks.
See post #64.

Adam

03-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Adam, any word of a FF Teleconverter. For a camera of this level I would think that a converter is considered critical for a lot of shooters. Now that we have the 1.4 converter working well for the DA lenses would be nice to have one for the FF as well.