Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes, It's a pity DXO never asked you how they should have done their measurements, if they had their measurements could actually have been useful.

// Irony mode off.

Well, they could have actually measured the dynamic range instead of estimating it, Gimbal.

Many of us would think that's what testing is actually all about.

03-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Adam, if you can, could you please ask how many stops of SR can the K-3 II provide when fitted with the 150-450 + 1.4xTC, with lens set at 450...and what's the story for the K-1 with the same setup. I think there are a lot of us that would like to have some concrete data on these questions.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Terry
I would say maybe 1 if any!! from my experience with that setup,I hope the K1 5 axis will work better,but in cam SR is never so good for long glass I¨m afraid but maybe we will be surprised
03-07-2016, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It was a very productive day here at WPPI, as I had the opportunity to meet a number of new Ricoh representatives. They were very enthusiastic about the K-1! We sat down and talked for a while, and I was able to ask almost all the questions you guys posted here. Responses will follow shortly.

We also got to hang on to the K-1 overnight, so you'll be seeing some new hands-on impressions on the homepage in the coming days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear it went well Adam! I'm looking forward to the responses.

I was too slow to get my pet question asked: can we have control over minimum shutter speed before ISO bump in Av mode instead of having just "slow", "normal", and "fast"? TAv mode is not an alternative. Just put minimum shutter speed on the front dial please!

03-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #50
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I will be happy to take any additional questions to be asked tomorrow. Keep em coming!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Regarding MLU, it is accessed via the drive mode menu as on the K-3. There is no dedicated or customization button for it, though you can always use one of the five USER settings.

The Quick Dial can be used to change one setting at a time. The current value of the selected setting is shown on the status screen, and in most cases, also in the viewfinder.

Remaining questions have been answered in a homepage post that will soon go live.

Adam

03-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #52
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I know there are many people wondering about the 1:1 crop mode. Also some people asking for 4:3 crop. Will theese features be implemented? If not could it be implemented with a hack?

03-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #53

Which sensor is used in K-1 ? The same as D810 or improved version ?
Why price in USA is much cheaper than in Japan, or Europe, or in Australia ?
03-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Curious about the folding mirror, why they felt the need? Does it reduce mirror slap? Quieter?

2) I remember something about the camera 'fixing' corners on some DA lenses that might vignette a bit. But at this point I cannot remember if that was rumor or something official. If true, some information on what lenses this works on and how.

3) The HD 1.4x RC is fairly new and was listed at the time of release as FF compatible, now it is not. Can they explain why the not compatible listing, and give some insight as to what lenses it will or will not work with. Is it OK with DFA lenses? Just not work with some DA lenses? Kenspo reports it works fine with K-1 and DA*300. Also, if it does not work correctly do they have plans for a new FF compatible model.

4) The new DFA f/2.8 lenses are monsters. Not something Pentax has produced in the past (except for the FA*28-70 and FA*70-200). Now that those are ready can we expect additional FF zoom lenses more in the Pentax tradition of small, slower, but still high quality? In particular: 20-35 f/4, 28-70, f/4 28-105 f/4 and 70-200 f/4.

5) Will it be possible to see additions to the FA Limited line? Or will those slots be '*' lenses? FA*24 f/2 for example is not a Limited.

6) Can they give some insight as to how the lens catalog naming will play out? We have Limited lenses, '*', lenses and so on. Will this continue and what exactly do those designations mean? Do they have a definition or specification of what it takes to be a '*' lens for example.

7) The media coverage of the K-1 was well orchestrated, or at least by far the best job I have seen from Pentax, ever. Is this a new direction? New emphasis on getting the word out and marketing that has not been seen before?

8) North America repair has had it's bumps and issues. Any comment on efforts to improve that situation? Or comments on "Professional level" repair service and loaners?
03-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Glad to hear it went well Adam! I'm looking forward to the responses.

I was too slow to get my pet question asked: can we have control over minimum shutter speed before ISO bump in Av mode instead of having just "slow", "normal", and "fast"? TAv mode is not an alternative. Just put minimum shutter speed on the front dial please!
Yes. I second the "minimum shutter speed setting" in the camera.... as a feature/option.
03-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #56
Pentaxian

There are some very good questions in there, and I'd add not a question, but feedback - my preference for compact yet high quality primes (reasonable sized zooms are a good idea, too). Hope that would reach Ricoh Japan, too - together with my congratulations for building an amazing camera (I understand it might take a while until the D FA lens range could be considered "complete").

About 1), the official reason as presented on their website is: "In order to accommodate the 35mm full-frame image sensor and cover the light flux of the large viewfinder with a nearly 100-percent field of view, it was necessary to increase the size of the main mirror and mirror box. To minimize the size of the mirror box, PENTAX has developed a new mechanism that retracts the main mirror as it swings upwards."
Features4 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
2) was, AFAIK, just a rumor (perhaps some nth hand information which was distorted along the way).
03-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #57

I don't really have any new questions for Ricoh at WPPI, but I would like to second the suggestions that I gave for CP+ here!
03-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #58
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
2) I remember something about the camera 'fixing' corners on some DA lenses that might vignette a bit. But at this point I cannot remember if that was rumor or something official. If true, some information on what lenses this works on and how.
The K-1 has full-frame lens correction profiles for the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm. These work as they always have. When in crop mode, a different set of profiles is applied for these lenses.

3) The HD 1.4x RC is fairly new and was listed at the time of release as FF compatible, now it is not. Can they explain why the not compatible listing, and give some insight as to what lenses it will or will not work with. Is it OK with DFA lenses? Just not work with some DA lenses? Kenspo reports it works fine with K-1 and DA*300. Also, if it does not work correctly do they have plans for a new FF compatible model.
See this post for more details, but the bottom line is it will work well with some lenses and no so well with others. Therefore it's not being officially labeled as a full-frame TC (the elements are smaller than they ought to be). No idea on whether or not an FF version is planned (probably not a priority since crop cameras as going to be the ones designed for tele shooting).

Adam

03-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
Why price in USA is much cheaper than in Japan, or Europe, or in Australia ?
While the US K-1 price could easily have been higher, the strong dollar played a key role. The goal going forward is to make global pricing much more consistent.

Adam

03-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #60
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
5) Will it be possible to see additions to the FA Limited line? Or will those slots be '*' lenses? FA*24 f/2 for example is not a Limited. 6) Can they give some insight as to how the lens catalog naming will play out? We have Limited lenses, '*', lenses and so on. Will this continue and what exactly do those designations mean? Do they have a definition or specification of what it takes to be a '*' lens for example. 7) The media coverage of the K-1 was well orchestrated, or at least by far the best job I have seen from Pentax, ever. Is this a new direction? New emphasis on getting the word out and marketing that has not been seen before? 8) North America repair has had it's bumps and issues. Any comment on efforts to improve that situation? Or comments on "Professional level" repair service and loaners?
We actually discussed these points yesterday, so here you go:

5 - it's certainly a possibility, though nothing like that is planned at the moment looking at the roadmap.

6 - the naming will continue as it always has (limited = small, good and made of metal, * = fast and good). They do aim to make cosmetic appearance and the ring color more consistent.

7 - lots of efforts are being made behind the scenes (on a global scale).

8 - another key issue that will be addressed. See more insight in the link I added in post #58.

Adam