Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Oh man. I really wanted to try and wear out my K3 before I haul off and start buying more camera stuff...

I've long preached that sensor or no sensor, or a high dollar lens or not, it won't compensate for bad basics of photography. A terrible photographer will make terrible pictures with a Hassleblad medium format with their best lenses...

That said this whole full frame thing is starting to get too real for me The want is strong! I will need to upgrade a couple of lenses but it's definitely doable....

03-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if the noise scales better as ISO goes up since Pentax isn't boosting the sensor like Nikon did. It would be interesting to see a comparison chart like this one D810 vs a7R sensor performance | The Last Word ...
03-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #18

Thank you Adam for your report. Not much surprise here. As Nikon used the that sensor as D800/D800E and tweaked the same sensor in D810 to gave higher performance than D800/D800E; I assume Pentax's tweak would also yield higher performance than D800/D800E too, and it seems this is very likely so in the ISO performance.

Can't wait to see side by side comparison with D810. Would you publish some ISO and DR comparisons from RAW files between the K-1 and D810 when you can?

Last edited by ColiNiloK; 03-09-2016 at 04:31 PM.
03-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Seems like a smart move on Ricoh's part to focus on stills over video, and thus use older sensor at much cheaper price with same IQ.
Yes, from the reactions on the Internet so far it seems that they have picked the right price point and, whilst there is no decent video features, there is enough innovations to attract not only Pentaxians but also new enthusiasts as well. It may turn out to be the best business decisions Ricoh have made.

03-09-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Thank you Adam for your report. Not much surprise here. As Nikon used the that sensor as D800/D800E and tweaked the same sensor in D810 to gave higher performance than D800/D800E; I assume Pentax's tweak would also yield higher performance than D800/D800E too, and it seems this is very likely so in the ISO performance.

Can't wait to see side by side comparison with D810. Would you publish some ISO and DR comparisons from RAW files between the K-1 and D810 when you can?
Sample photos, including high-ISO samples, have been posted here:
Pentax K-1 High-Resolution Sample Photos - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com

I am not able to post anything at a higher resolution at this time, since the K-1 had pre-production firmware.

What I can say is the same scene taken with both cameras side-by-side looked very similar in terms of noise performance. My subjective impression is that the Nikon had slightly more accurate colors, but the Pentax showed slightly more detail.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Forum Member

^^ Those high ISO shots are impressive regardless of resolution.

This is bad, it's making me want to get a FF as well.
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

Thanks for the test shots and report Adam. I am interested in the statement "The Pentax K-1 has a 14-stop dynamic range" - is this a bit of a guesstimate based on the D800 sensor? I notice on dxomark the D800 rates 14.4 and the D810 14.8. I guess it is not possible to have the exact measurements until the official camera/firmware is released?

03-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I am not able to post anything at a higher resolution at this time, since the K-1 had pre-production firmware.

What I can say is the same scene taken with both cameras side-by-side looked very similar in terms of noise performance. My subjective impression is that the Nikon had slightly more accurate colors, but the Pentax showed slightly more detail.
Thank you Adam, those samples speak for itself and looks indeed very good at high ISO even it's not full rez. As much as I'm looking forward to the images for the production model and your full in depth review ( and comparison with D800/D810) those looks pretty good to me already, and subjectively speaking I aways like Pentax colours better than Nikon. Thanks once again!
03-09-2016, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LukeOB Quote
Thanks for the test shots and report Adam. I am interested in the statement "The Pentax K-1 has a 14-stop dynamic range" - is this a bit of a guesstimate based on the D800 sensor? I notice on dxomark the D800 rates 14.4 and the D810 14.8. I guess it is not possible to have the exact measurements until the official camera/firmware is released?

That's what Dan was saying to those who asked at the booth (it's not an exact technical figure, but rather to give users a sense of the DR). The 645Z was also "14 stops". Whether it's 14.1 or 14.5 or 14.8 remains to be seen

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Sample photos, including high-ISO samples, have been posted here:

Adam,High iso sample by 1530 or 28105?
03-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam..so it seems ISO 1600 will be useful for birds & maybe even 3200..just enough for what I need
03-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow. I think that sums it up. Those pics are very good indeed, the detail and Dr is very impressive.

How did the autofocus work? Was the point spread adequate?

My biggest gripe is I can't have it. If I do get it there is a good chance it will be the most expensive full frame ever as my wife may divorce me if it showed up!!!
03-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam - this is really good stuff. OTOneH it answers a lot of questions. OTOtherH it makes the salivation more intense.
03-09-2016, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I learned at WPPI that the K-1 uses the same Sony sensor as the Nikon D800, though the sensor has been adapted to Pentax's specifications. I was able to shoot with both cameras side-by-side and the performance is virtually identical; JPEG processing and variations in white balance proved to be the most prominent differences. The K-1 obviously has the advantage of in-camera stabilization, AA filter simulation, and pixel shift super resolution.

What this means is that the K-1 is bound to land near the top of DxO's sensor rankings; the Nikon D800E (2012) is currently #4 and the D810 (2014) is #2 among full-frame bodies.

The K-1 has surprisingly little noise up to ISO 3200, is very clean up to ISO 12,800, and will deliver usable results up to ISO 51,200. ISO 100k and 200k are mostly there for bragging rights, IMO. I happened to capture a photo of a TV about 20 feet away at ISO 51,200 and was still able to read the sub-text under a news headline (I will post a small version of the photo later today).

New JPEG processing options in the K-1 include variable settings for clarity (instead of on/off, as on the K-S2), and settings for skin tone. The rest feels very much like the K-3.

Sample photos:
Hi Adam,

I am friends with a couple of the Pentax reps. I asked and they told me you came by the booth.

I met with a couple of friends who are pro Nikon and Canon shooters. One of them waned to buy the Nikon D750 to add to their Nikon D3 and D7100 arsenal. So we stopped by the Nikon booth first. We shot with the Nikkor 85mm f1.4 lens mainly on ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. We then went over to the Pentax booth and shot with the K1 and Limited 77 f 1.8 at ISOs as high as 12,800. My friend was disappointed at how bad the D750 looked compared to K1. We shot with top Nikon glass so we cannot say Nikon had an inferior glass. I was blown away by how clean the K1 files looked at high ISOs. As far as the Limited 77 not being up to snuff because it is legacy glass is absolutely incorrect. I shot at F1.8 and f2 and the lens was just as sharp if not sharper than the Nikkor 85 f1.4. I think with the K1, we have a major winner on our hands.
03-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Adam,High iso sample by 1530 or 28105?
15-30

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I met with a couple of friends who are pro Nikon and Canon shooters. One of them waned to buy the Nikon D750 to add to their Nikon D3 and D7100 arsenal. So we stopped by the Nikon booth first. We shot with the Nikkor 85mm f1.4 lens mainly on ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. We then went over to the Pentax booth and shot with the K1 and Limited 77 f 1.8 at ISOs as high as 12,800. My friend was disappointed at how bad the D750 looked compared to K1. We shot with top Nikon glass so we cannot say Nikon had an inferior glass. I was blown away by how clean the K1 files looked at high ISOs. As far as the Limited 77 not being up to snuff because it is legacy glass is absolutely incorrect. I shot at F1.8 and f2 and the lens was just as sharp if not sharper than the Nikkor 85 f1.4. I think with the K1, we have a major winner on our hands.
And they placed pre-orders right then and there, right?

Adam