Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is easy when cash is hard to come by.

Steve
A buck-fifty per day in the piggy bank and you'll probably have the funds for whenever they finally (if ever) release a 24-yumpickle K-1L FF.

(I'd like to be pleasantly surprised and see the option sooner...Just guessing here that they want to keep a perceptive space between formats..)

03-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
A buck-fifty per day in the piggy bank and you'll probably have the funds for whenever they finally (if ever) release a 24-yumpickle K-1L FF.

(I'd like to be pleasantly surprised and see the option sooner...Just guessing here that they want to keep a perceptive space between formats..)
A Starbucks a day and you have a K-1 in 9 months.
03-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-1 sensor has about the same pixel density as your K-5, and most people still brag about that sensor. I think most K-1 users will brag (if they have to brag at all) about their images If you want to brag about a new sensor go ahead and get an a7RII.

Pentax modified the best sensor design available to suit the target market and image characteristics they seek. It has very little to do with the age of the original sensor design.
I did not mean that anybody should sit around bragging about the sensor. Apparently you come from another country ( I always thought St. Louis was in the US) or you would have understood the term and how it was meant. I'm sure the K1 will be a fine camera. I'm not going to try to explain further because you wouldn't get it.
03-12-2016, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I did not mean that anybody should sit around bragging about the sensor. Apparently you come from another country ( I always thought St. Louis was in the US) or you would have understood the term and how it was meant. I'm sure the K1 will be a fine camera. I'm not going to try to explain further because you wouldn't get it.
OK. You needn't explain. The Chevy small-block V-8 is an old design. Still kicking 50+ years later and still being improved . . .

Let me make myself clearer. Ricoh couldn't force themselves to select a 'new' sensor just because it is new. If you want a 'new' sensor in your camera there are other cameras you can buy. So far it seems initial pre-production users are pretty impressed, so maybe the 'old' sensor was a good choice.

No need to disparage the K-1 just because Ricoh chose and tuned a proven core design.

Or did I miss something?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2016 at 11:18 AM.
03-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #80

Uh, the K-1 is not the equivalent of a D800... It is the equivalent of a D800E - remember,; no anti Moire blurring on the Pentax unless you turn it on. So rack up the value of the K-1 a view hundred dollars higher.
03-12-2016, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another way to express this is: A Starbuck a day keeps the K1 away...

A Starbucks a day and you have a K-1 in 9 months.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 10:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
... Apparently you come from another country ( I always thought St. Louis was in the US) ...
mmm, St. Louis aint the rest of Missouri. That is a fact. I suppose it is possible the city could just as easily be not part of the rest of the US. I don't say 'likely', but it is 'possible'...
03-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
mmm, St. Louis aint the rest of Missouri. That is a fact. I suppose it is possible the city could just as easily be not part of the rest of the US. I don't say 'likely', but it is 'possible'...
All I know for certain is Kirkwood ain't part of St. Louis and St. Louis is not contained within St. Louis County, which has numerous unintended consequences.

And that ain't nothin to brag about.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2016 at 10:21 AM.
03-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #83
Veteran Member

All I know for certain is St. Louis is not contained within St. Louis County, which has numerous unintended consequences.

And that ain't nothin to brag about.
I grew up in a smaller town adjacent to a larger. A small part of the larger city extended to a neighboring county. I had forgotten about this. I don't really know what troubles it caused with taxes or etc., but I know the interstate highway patrol coverage changed at that county line. I never thought another city would be planned this same way. Thought people would learn... :^|
03-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grew up in a smaller town adjacent to a larger. A small part of the larger city extended to a neighboring county. I had forgotten about this. I don't really know what troubles it caused with taxes or etc., but I know the interstate highway patrol coverage changed at that county line. I never thought another city would be planned this same way. Thought people would learn... :^|
Late in the nineteenth century St. Louis was so corrupt that that it was made a county unto itself and the state took over control of the City of St. Louis Police. St. Louis has all the County functions (Sheriff, for instance) alongside the duplicative City functions (Police) - and they often conflict. Everyone is on the take.

St. Louis County was created separate from the City to protect rural interests from the depredations of their urban brethren. Something similar happened in Baltimore.

Kirkwood is a small, formerly rural farming community and railroad division point in St. Louis County, 20 miles west of St. Louis City. We remained a rural city (never reorgaanzed as a Class 1 City) so that we could own our electricity distribution as a Rural Co-Op and our water manufacturing and distribution as well. The City pays for itself mostly by selling utilities to its residents at a profit, and consequently has comparatively low municipal taxes and a high bond rating. We never sold our main thoroughfare to the US Highway System, so our downtown is not a 6-Lane highway; we still have a town square and numerous independent businesses. We also have our 'Miracle Mile' of Walmart, Target, Lowes, Best Buy and the outparcels and fast food, but they're more a draw for people from elsewhere than for us -- and we have our 'other side of the tracks'. The average HH Income is $56,700 / year - decidedly middle class. We're not a 'Doctors and Lawyers' bedroom community.

We have our own Police, Fire and Ambulance/EMT services, refuse collection and recycling, Parks and Recreation, School District (a Rural designation, but we don't get to take much money from the state Department of Education because we voluntarily assess ourselves too highly, so they 'level' us out) which is racially diverse roughly in proportion to the country by percentages - but has the second highest rating in the entire state - our own streets and all the other City works and City functions. IOW we are fiercely independent. We like the way we do tings but we're not hostile to others' way of doing things - just keep flying right on over let us do ours our way, OK?

The City / County division, and the associated political infighting, graft and power silos, has had ramifications for our region - to wit Ferguson - and there can never be effective regional planning - to wit The Rams - and yes, those of us who live in responsible, thriving municipalities resent those who live in failing municipalities. We know better than to drive in Ferguson - we don't want to spend Thursday night in Traffic Court either.

In the next 5 years the 67 county municipalities and the City proper will be rolled into between 7 and 9 mega-municipalities and school districts whether any of the citizens want it or not. We won't get a choice. Of course we will lose any semblance of local control of anything, but our establishment betters can make more effective plans for graft that way.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2016 at 11:47 AM.
03-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

but our establishment betters can make more effective plans for graft that way.
03-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's not a laughing matter. But this will get political and I'll get spanked, so

I worship the holy IMX094.
03-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #87
Veteran Member

It's not a laughing matter. But this will get political and I'll get spanked, so

I worship the holy IMX094.
Alright. So, Kirkwood is a K-01. Will it continue to be and we will then have a Kirkwood-02 with other municipalities combined with it (K-02 identity somewhat retained) or do you think the K-01 line will end and it will be absorbed by others and so losings its identity altogether ??
03-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

end and it will be absorbed by others and so losings its identity altogether ??
I like my K-01. I pre-ordered it. There's a lesson for the K-1 crew in there somewhere.

Kirkwood will lose its 165 year old independent identity. And we should let the thread get back on topic.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2016 at 03:20 PM.
03-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And we should let the thread get back on topic.
Or perhaps we could resort to coffee snobbery...

Steve
03-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, sure I know this. The K-1 has advantages, why need to refer to D800, expect for reassurance.
The whole point of comparison is that one takes two things and COMPARE them to each other. If you only have one thing you have nothing to compare it with. One necessarily mentions competition in order to do comparisons. Generally one takes the best of a field to do a comparison. It is how humans make choices; otherwise there is no choice. When Canon had the only full frame camera there was no choice for the best DSLR available; you bought that camera or you did without full frame. In today's market the Nikon D8XX cameras are the acknowledged leaders. If you have similar performance to those for $1000 less you have an excellent camera. Has nothing to do with bragging or psychological reassurance; it has to do with making an intelligent informed choice.