Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
You bring up some interesting points and it is mostly likely the Nikon AF superiority that has colored my opinion...

...I actually shoot with IBIS off for my sports/wildlife work since I have found that it has been more of a hinderance, especially for panning work or where sudden changes of camera aim occur. Maybe the K-1 system is better.
Thank you for sharing.

Regarding IBIS and panning, you may be interested to read Pentax's K-1 Press Release which states: "Even when taking a panning shot, this system [IBIS] automatically detects the direction of the camera’s movement, and efficiently controls the SR unit to always produce the best image possible without requiring any mode switching operation."

Link is at:
Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
As regards my post, I was viewing the K-1 product as a whole, and looking at the customer market as a whole.

The seven K-1 features I listed, may not be relevant to ALL users ALL of the time, but they will surely be useful to VARIOUS users MUCH of the time, in various photographic contexts.

And those are features which the D810 is lacking - and for a cool thousand bucks extra at that!!

That is why, apart from its better AF and video which I mentioned, one could see the D810 as being a "K-1 lite", and not the other way around.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-17-2016 at 10:47 AM.
03-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #107
Pentaxian

“We are trying to create memory colors, rather than faithfully reproducing original colors."

I'm not so sure I like the sound of that.
I hope that only applies to the Jpeg-engine and that they are not messing with the raw data.
03-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
“We are trying to create memory colors, rather than faithfully reproducing original colors."

I'm not so sure I like the sound of that.
I hope that only applies to the Jpeg-engine and that they are not messing with the raw data.
I was thinking the same thing. One of the reasons I bought my K10 is that I preferred the "natural" jpegs it made by default (and that bright mode was only a few buttons away)

I'm hoping that whatever the default, I can easily get back to that profile (or close, anyway).

I do a lot of OOC jpegs and would rather keep post-processing to a minimum...

But I also hope the raw converter is sensible...

-Eric
03-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
"PENTAX believes, however, that, no matter how advanced technologies may become, image quality is always something perceived by the human eye, and is the product of human sensibility. The PENTAX K-1 is the camera that reminds you of this indisputable fact!"

It's not just the product, it's the whole approach that makes me a proud Pentaxian
A big, resounding "Yes" to that !!

03-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
now a lie.
Buzzkiller!

sure would be interesting to get you in public dialogue with these guys...
03-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Pentax marketing is counting on less educated readers. But that always fires back in this internet age. Didn't they learn a thing or two over the last couple of years?

... information spread by Pentax about the sensor cannot be regarded reliable information anymore.
I am not knowledgeable about the above technology.

However, it is true that sometimes, their translation into English is less than perfect.

Could it also be possible that they meant something, while we are (presently) interpreting it differently, and detect an apparent error? Perhaps with more light being shed on this matter in coming days, things may begin to make better sense.

Somebody also posted that there would appear to be no reason for Pentax to lie.

Personally, I would adopt a "wait and see" approach.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-17-2016 at 10:48 AM.
03-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax.com:
Although today’s SLR cameras provide a high-saturation mode in their default settings, the saturation level is more subdued now for most makers than it was earlier. In fact, PENTAX is probably the only manufacturer to offer such high saturation and rich tones.
Hmm... certainly not a selling point for me. Dialling down those oversaturated colours is the first thing I do on a Pentax. Even natural is not quite right. Also still annoying when someone borrows the camera and shoots green mode with terrible results.

Last edited by house; 03-17-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
03-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
certainly not a selling point for me. Dialling down those oversaturated colours is the first thing I do on a Pentax
Advertisers will tell you that over-saturated colours are most definitely a selling point. Based on my personal observation of what captures the attention of the photographic non-inclined, if you want to sell your images, over-saturation is also the way to go.
03-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I can't understand why Ricoh/Pentax would lie about this
They certainly didn't do this on purpose. I'd rather consider that an accident.

I know a person very well who works for a respected technology company in public relations. It is rather normal that technical texts go to press which are sort of correct (in this particular case: would have been correct a couple of years ago) but are incorrect in a particular statement to the public. That's because of the more limited knowledge of the people working in media relations. To make this an engineer (who remained unnamed btw) citation is not uncommon to make an article pop, make it more digestable as a read. I'm sure Pentax didn't want to do this, but in the end, after making it an engineer citation, it is still a lie (except if they cited an engineer who was not in charge and provided some aged wisdom).

BTW, this isn't a matter of translation or language. The sentence I cited simply doesn't make sense in any language.

On another note: I actually liked the read of the article. It has some nice bits. But don't take it as a source of accurate engineering info. It is written by marketing and its purpose is advertizement.

Last edited by falconeye; 03-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On another note: I actually liked the read of the article. It has some nice bits. But don't take it as a source of accurate engineering info. It is written by marketing and its purpose is advertizement.
Correct, and despite any misstatements (which I am by far not qualified to judge) it represents a huge leap forward for Pentax marketing. It is polished and even has the spelling correct. The whole website is well done, a coherent marketing effort that I have not seen from Pentax before. A certain amount of hyperbole is expected in advertisements and when engineers are asked for quotes from the marketing department it is almost certain they will be misquoted, because the marketing person does not have the expertise to understand what the engineer said.
03-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Correct, and despite any misstatements (which I am by far not qualified to judge) it represents a huge leap forward for Pentax marketing
I do like the K-1 microsite too.

However, I think it is not a first. I remember a few really well done microsites by Pentax for earlier models too. One site with good stories from real pro photographer's experiences comes to mind, some with breathtaking photos from a mountaineering expedition. Unfortunately, I don't have links and they would be broken by now anyway.
03-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All those worried about cooked jpeg colours coming from the K-1, note there is now a "flat" preset which apparently produces exactly that, flat but accurate colours. The former "natural" preset is still there but I read a quote from one of the PR designers who said that the intent was to bump the saturation of the natural look to lie between flat and bright. We will soon see.
03-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The former "natural" preset is still there but I read a quote from one of the PR designers who said that the intent was to bump the saturation of the natural look to lie between flat and bright.
Would you have the reference or link for that? Thank you.
03-18-2016, 03:19 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
All those worried about cooked jpeg colours coming from the K-1, note there is now a "flat" preset which apparently produces exactly that, flat but accurate colours. The former "natural" preset is still there but I read a quote from one of the PR designers who said that the intent was to bump the saturation of the natural look to lie between flat and bright. We will soon see.
I am sure that jpegs are tweakable enough that you can get the look you want from them. I don't use jpegs, but when I do, I usually use natural. Bright (which was the default) had a tendency to render skin tones funny to my eye. And some of the other colors seemed off too with Bright.
03-18-2016, 03:39 AM - 4 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Sorry, Mods; couldn't resist.