@KDAFA - Look about halfway down this excellent review:

Hands On With The New Pentax K-1

03-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@KDAFA - Look about halfway down this excellent review:

Hands On With The New Pentax K-1
Thank you very much for the reference.

Yes, I thought that might be where you read it.

I quote the reviewer:
"While our sample JPEG images from this pre-production camera were a touch flat, the raw files were not. (Pentax confirmed this with us and mentioned that the “natural” JPEG in the final system will be more saturated than the pre-production units."

The way I interpreted the above was that the pre-production OOC jpegs, using "Natural", looked to the reviewer a touch flat, as compared to what he had come to expect of "Natural" ie. based on earlier Pentax bodies. That said, Pentax acknowledged the situation and confirmed that on the actual production units of the K-1, "Natural" would be returned to what Pentax normally calls "Natural", saturation-wise.

But as you say, we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I hope they make the K-1's "Natural" as what it has been all this while.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-18-2016 at 09:55 PM.
03-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #123

My favorite camerastore Cyberphoto has publiced a test of the K-1 and they have some nice compatible images specially of different ISOs. They use the same motives every test so we can compare the noise. Check out this (the iso-photos are at the bottom om their page):

Pentax K-1 hus digital systemkamera
Pentax K-3 II hus svart + HD DA 16-85/3,5-5,6 ED DC WR digital systemkamera
Nikon D810 kamerahus digital systemkamera
Sony Alpha 7R II kamerahus digital systemkamera
Sony Alpha 7s II kamerahus digital systemkamera
03-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
My favorite camerastore Cyberphoto has publiced a test of the K-1 and they have some nice compatible images specially of different ISOs. They use the same motives every test so we can compare the noise. Check out this (the iso-photos are at the bottom om their page):

Pentax K-1 hus digital systemkamera
Pentax K-3 II hus svart + HD DA 16-85/3,5-5,6 ED DC WR digital systemkamera
Nikon D810 kamerahus digital systemkamera
Sony Alpha 7R II kamerahus digital systemkamera
Sony Alpha 7s II kamerahus digital systemkamera
Thats quite something... The K-1 has basically no chroma noise!? Perhaps it's doing noise reduction despite turning it off?
Direct links to images
  1. ISO 12800 K1
  2. ISO 12800 D810
It that's anything to go by the K1 blows the d810 out of the water.

03-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They redesigned the support structures behind the sensor to try to cut the noise down. So in effect it IS doing NR without NR being turned on - it's implicit in the design. That's probably one of the things which delayed the release for so long.
03-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
They redesigned the support structures behind the sensor to try to cut the noise down. So in effect it IS doing NR without NR being turned on - it's implicit in the design. That's probably one of the things which delayed the release for so long.
And yet some posters here insist this is not possible and Pentax lied about it for marketing reasons. I am certainly not qualified to say anything about it but eagerly look forward to these comparisons to see what pentax has done with this sensor.
03-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And yet some posters here insist this is not possible and Pentax lied about it for marketing reasons. I am certainly not qualified to say anything about it but eagerly look forward to these comparisons to see what pentax has done with this sensor.
Things like that could come back to bite them. If an accusation like that got legs and ended up being groundless, I think Ricoh would jump hard, right down the throat of anyone who could conceivably be deemed to have been responsible. Slander and libel are serious business.

03-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually, that poster has been silenced since real engineers started backing up the Pentax engineer.

beholder3 started an earlier thread with these comparison images and is duly impressed, especially with the D810 comparison. He called out the pixel peepers.
QuoteQuote:
Whatever sick pixelpeepers might say, this should be good enough for anyone who can't afford a larger sensor pro camera like the Pentax 645z. Whiners feel free.
kenspo kinda did a 'told 'ya' Reply.

I think we have a winner on our hands.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-19-2016 at 02:19 PM.
03-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Silenced how? Thrown into the outer darkness with only an H3V, a Takumar preset and 12ASA slide film for company?
03-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Silenced how? Thrown into the outer darkness with only an H3V, a Takumar preset and 12ASA slide film for company?
Hasn't been around much has he?
03-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #131
Pentaxian

Not sure who you're talking about, although I have several people boriscletoed so may not have noticed the exile occurring.
03-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #132

So effectively this is from the same sensor family as the D800/D810 sensor but has been 'enhanced' for Pentax's specifications via use of more efficient substrates?
Makes sense to me, not the first time a chip manufacturer has experimented with different packaging materials to cut down on heat and noise. Intel and AMD do this all the time.
Back to cameras - this sensor in K1 config looks to have better high ISO than the D810 which in itself is very impressive.
03-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A digital camera sensor is part of an assembly. Kind of like the CPU in a PC.

So a D800 may have the identical sensor (IMX094) as a D810 and K-1, but still be a subtly different camera.

To continue the PC analogy, the D800 may have used a Intel i5 CPU clocked at a certain speed as part of it's board, and a 2012 Nvidia GPU. The D810 uses the same CPU as the D800, but overclocked, and with the addition of a better GPU. Same with the K-1. Same sensor die as the D800/D810, but some evolution of the specs and supporting hardware.
I heard the Sensor in the D810 had physically deeper wells, allowing for a true iso 64 on hardware, giving more DR/ less noise. As opposed to software based pseudo iso's with little to not benefit outside elongating shutter speed... I'd love to know if this is true or not.
03-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
Makes sense to me, not the first time a chip manufacturer has experimented with different packaging materials to cut down on heat and noise.
The original source is about "substrate" (基板, where also mentioned 基板は means board). From the context of the full article, it is clear they talk about the circuit layout of the sensor daughterboard. This is the stock D800 sensor from Sony and there is no way to alter its physical properties as its readout is all digital anyway. I said this elsewhere already, this is a misleading part of the interview, probably from over-enthusiastic marketing

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
I heard the Sensor in the D810 had physically deeper wells, allowing for a true iso 64 on hardware, giving more DR/ less noise. As opposed to software based pseudo iso's with little to not benefit outside elongating shutter speed... I'd love to know if this is true or not.
This is true. The D810 sensor is more expensive to manufacture and has physical properties which have been measured to be different. The K-1 has a stock sensor (the same as D800/D800E/A7r).
03-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The original source is about "substrate" (基板, where also mentioned 基板は means board). From the context of the full article, it is clear they talk about the circuit layout of the sensor daughterboard. This is the stock D800 sensor from Sony and there is no way to alter its physical properties as its readout is all digital anyway. I said this elsewhere already, this is a misleading part of the interview, probably from over-enthusiastic marketing

This is true. The D810 sensor is more expensive to manufacture and has physical properties which have been measured to be different. The K-1 has a stock sensor (the same as D800/D800E/A7r).
The important question to be answered, I suppose, is whether Pentax, by developing their own peripheral electronics and processing routines, has made a camera whose output is competitive with the D810 using the stock D800 sensor.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-20-2016 at 06:57 AM.