QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wait, there's a hat and T-Shirt?

-Eric
You didn't get one? (Oooops!)

Steve

03-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Lens choice= Canon Nikon has more, and more 3rd party lens support, Pentax has it's own unique lenses.
it's "own unique lenses"... but not many digital FF lenses (like 15-30, 150-450...) at this time
Canikon can, at least, count on the production of third party lenses... not us
03-10-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Apologize to disturb the party! Ouupppss, I did not know photography was essentially about supporting a brand name + buying and the pleasure of owning new cameras and lenses.
I would agree that the purpose of photography is not about supporting a brand name and enjoying ownership of that brand's products.

However, that is the point of participation in this forum.
03-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There have been extensive discussions over the last six months about whether the K1 should use the sensor that is in the D800/810 or the one that Sony uses in the A7r II.
Yep...at base, there is a limited choice for sensors. There is no profit to the makers to build out extensive lines. What they can offer is an extensible product with options for tweaking performance parameters, physical packaging, power consumption, and so on.

Steve

03-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I just ordered my "D810-lite"...lol.. aka Pentax K-1.
Or as the good reviewer at DPReview put it "What the Df should have been"

Steve

(...no criticism of the Df intended. In honor of that camera's concept, I may well wait for the release of a K-1 lite 24Mpx camera to strike a happy medium between the Df and D810 )
03-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is mine.

Come August, per plan, I will order my K-1. I hope production has caught up with demand by then.
03-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't think he is that sort of engineer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_engineering
Steve, I could go no further in that article after reaching 'Semantic Object Model', I'm afraid.

Like some medications, it should have contained a 'May cause drowsiness' warning. ☺

03-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Steve, I could go no further in that article after reaching 'Semantic Object Model', I'm afraid.

Like some medications, it should have contained a 'May cause drowsiness' warning. ☺
At its core, business engineering is about replacing people with computers.

It is a Critical Thinking discipline in which the first step toward finding the solution to a problem is, "Question all your learned assumptions."

Unfortunately, critical thinkers frequently solve problems that didn't exist before the solution was proposed.
03-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Right on!

The comparisons have nothing at all to do with bragging rights or reassurance, but everything to do with practical implementation.
I could not agree more. Aside from the fact that K1 has a few more tricks up its sleeve that D810 does not have. I was not going to jump ship but rather try to justify a jump to 645Z. After what I have seen from the K1, I will be more than happy to shoot with the K1 for my landscape and still life work. I am still waiting to see what happened to the 645 lens integration with K1. I think there is a reference to it in the specs but no one has talked about it. If true, the pixel shift gives us 645Z resolution with 645 lenses. Now that is a feature that goes way beyond a K1 and D810 comparison.
03-10-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At its core, business engineering is about replacing people with computers.
Well, Monochrome, I've been involved in more than my fair share of projects that did that. Mixed experiences, always.

In both the IT and Education fields I've also encountered plenty of consultants who make a living propagating a particular methodology ... ISO, top-down, bottom-up, incremental change, radical change, best-practice, out-of-the box, etc.

They come and go.
03-10-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find this whole discussion to be somewhat futile.

What makes the K-1 a good camera from a Pentaxian's stand point is that it can use K mount lenses without an adapter and with auto focus and auto metering. If you own a lot of K mount lenses, then this is key. If you don't care about auto metering and auto focus or don't own a bunch of K mount lenses, then you would do just as well to get an FE mount or F mount camera as the K-1.

My perception is that the K-1 matches up well against other full frame cameras that are similarly priced on the market right now. But even if it didn't, I would probably get one because of the lenses I already own.
03-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I may well wait for the release of a K-1 lite 24Mpx camera to strike a happy medium
You are one patient dude!
03-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
You are one patient dude!
It is easy when cash is hard to come by.

Steve
03-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I've decided I can live with Pentax AF if I'm getting basically the same sensor and output as the D810.
Plus the flippy screen. A tripod shooting, landscape photographers friend.
03-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
it's "own unique lenses"... but not many digital FF lenses (like 15-30, 150-450...) at this time
Canikon can, at least, count on the production of third party lenses... not us
More lenses and 3rd party lens support will come eventually, a fair start it's better than nothing. The recent road map also shows more modern primes are coming.