Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 01:21 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,947
Pentax K-1 Viewfinder Demo Video

A demonstration of the K-1's many customizable viewfinder elements:




Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
Belcik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Russia,Moscow
Photos: Albums
Posts: 153
Las Vegas?
03-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,895
No 1:1 crop?
03-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drome, France
Posts: 89
This is really impressive, I cannot wait to test it!

03-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,512
Adam: Thank you for posting for that little video.
03-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taipei
Posts: 110
Dear Adam, Thank you again for the wonderful video!

Here are some questions regarding the AF overlay:
Because there is no sound in the video you post,
I guess the red flashing light(starting from 00:36)
indicating that you were half-pressing the shutter button?

If my assumption is correct, It seems that there is no red solid square indicating the in-focus AF point
when you acquiring the focus.
then how do we know what AF point(s) is(are) current locked on
if we choose multiple AF points(auto 33/9...etc) to shoot with?

Because from Ricoh's official AF tracking Demo video
there is no red square, just the black ones indicating the AF points that are currently tracking(in-focus).
Those AF points that are not in-focus (but still effective) will not be overlayed while tracking.

Is K-1 using black square instead of red solid square(we used to have in k-3/5/7) indicating the in-focus AF points? If so, wouldn't black square be less ideal than red solid square for shooting at dark/black scene?

Sorry if I totally misunderstand how k-1's AF system works.
Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by souless; 03-10-2016 at 08:49 AM.
03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,887
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Dear Adam, Thank you again for the wonderful video!

Here are some questions regarding the AF overlay:
Because there is no sound in the video you post,
I guess the red flashing light(starting from 00:36)
indicating that you were half-pressing the shutter button?

If my assumption is correct, It seems that there is no red solid square indicating the in-focus AF point
when you acquiring the focus.
then how do we know what AF point(s) is(are) current locked on
if we choose multiple AF points(auto 33/9...etc) to shoot with?

Because from Ricoh's official AF tracking Demo video
there is no red square, just the black ones indicating the AF points that are currently tracking(in-focus).
Those AF points that are not in-focus (but still effective) will not be overlayed while tracking.

Is K-1 using black square instead of red solid square(we used to have in k-3/5/7) indicating the in-focus AF points? If so, wouldn't black square be less ideal than red solid square for shooting at dark/black scene?

Sorry if I totally misunderstand how k-1's AF system works.
Thanks in advance!!!
Previous cameras did not show the AF spot either, they just lit up red when something was in focus at that spot. The K-1, I've heard, has the black AF spots as well as flash red.
03-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,364
Best video ever!

I'm guessing the crop outline is a bit smaller than the full view through the K-3 and K-5? So if shooting APS-C lenses, it might be easier to manually focus through the K-3 viewfinder, right?

03-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No 1:1 crop?
You can create a 1s action in Photoshop or Lightroom to do that for you, I'm sure you can even do a batch process of that in some manner fairly quickly.
03-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,799
More thanks! Impressive features in there! Made me curious about the focus points in LV for the K-1. I often appreciate the wider (than OVF) focus point perimeter in LV on the K-3 and wonder how wide it is on K-1 (in comparison to K-3 LV)...
03-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Las Vegas?
Yes! That's where the WPPI Expo was held and thus where we could lay our hands on a K-1!

The good news: All this camera testing kept us out of the casinos so we had monies left for gas for the trip back to Phoenix, AZ!
03-10-2016, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,783
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
More thanks! Impressive features in there! Made me curious about the focus points in LV for the K-1. I often appreciate the wider (than OVF) focus point perimeter in LV on the K-3 and wonder how wide it is on K-1 (in comparison to K-3 LV)...
Here is a screen shot showing the live view focusing grid. The focusing area can be moved around, of course, and enlarged to cover more, or all, squares.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
I'm even more excited now....
03-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,895
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
You can create a 1s action in Photoshop or Lightroom to do that for you, I'm sure you can even do a batch process of that in some manner fairly quickly.
That's not my point. It appears some of the pre-production demo models have 1:1 crop mode and some don't. When asked about this at CP+ the Ricoh rep said the production models will only have full or APS-C crop. The reports are of the demo models at a camera store in Canada have the 1:1 crop mode - leading people to think that this is an unannounced feature that will be on the production models.

So the question remains will 1:1 (and 4:3) crop mode with indicators in the viewfinder be on the production models or not. Was it removed or added to later demo models? If it was a feature that was removed or disabled from firmware may it not be added back later in a firmware update? Were the framelines added or removed on the viewfinder LCD? If it were a hardware revision to remove the crop indicator re-appearance in firmware updates would be much less likely.

Only time will tell.

And you can crop to APS-C size in PP, so why bother having it in the camera.
03-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,783
We asked RICOH at WPPI and they said that the 1:1 crop mode is gone from the production models.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
demo, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k-1 viewfinder demo, k1, pentax, pentax k-1, pentax k-1 viewfinder, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-1 FF Video Capability rdj92807 Pentax Full Frame 167 03-09-2016 08:38 PM
Pentax K-1 Hands-on Video Adam Pentax News and Rumors 34 02-27-2016 01:56 PM
LCD viewfinder overlay demo? bwDraco Pentax K-1 17 02-18-2016 08:47 PM
Pentax Film Copier Accessory Demo / Video Adam Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 04-30-2014 07:52 PM
k5ii/s demo video scunning14 Pentax K-5 3 10-18-2012 02:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top