Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Does anyone know when distance information was added to the AF lenses?

I seem to recall being told by a Pentax rep in the early 90s (about the time Nikon was going on about 3D matrix metering) that Pentax had been doing focus distance in the lenses for years.

Does that mean Pentax F lenses have distance information or is it strictly a FA thing?

-Eric
According to Bojidar Dimitrov's excellent K-mount page, F lenses do distance but FA lenses add the MTF data for the lenses and power zoom possibilities. I hope, then, that F lenses get full five-axis SR...

03-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
According to Bojidar Dimitrov's excellent K-mount page, F lenses do distance but FA lenses add the MTF data for the lenses and power zoom possibilities. I hope, then, that F lenses get full five-axis SR...
Thanks for the info. Any idea what will happen with a recent design third party lens such as the Sigma ART 35/1.4? That's the lens with K-1 I'm craving for travel and hoping it is compatible with the full 5-axis SR.

Ross
03-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
Thanks for the info. Any idea what will happen with a recent design third party lens such as the Sigma ART 35/1.4? That's the lens with K-1 I'm craving for travel and hoping it is compatible with the full 5-axis SR.

Ross
I wouldn't expect there to be any compatibility issues for autofocus lenses, so the F series and third-party lenses should be fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
Yes, I'm sure it seemed like a dumb question But in Pentax's official specs they stated SR was available with "compatible Pentax lenses" which made me wonder. Also, other manufacturers with a sensor stabilizer do not necessarily have full compatibility with all lenses - for example the Sony A-series with 5-axis is not available with every Sony lens - some of their lenses drop to 3-axis mode.

It will be great if the full effective 5-axis SR is available with virtually any lens.

Thanks,
Ross
I believe we will only get 3-axis of stabilization on older lenses, but on other hand those 2 extra axis of stabilization K-1 offer is only an advantage if you focus very close to the subject.
So it's only going to make a major benefit when shooting macro. Had K-1 offered mechanical stabilization during video the 5 axis stabilization would also be a benefit as the x y motion can be noticed during video.

I normal shooting condition there will most likely not be possible to notice any difference if the camera use 5- or 3-axis SR.

03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Why do we think we will only have 3axis?! I haven't read this anywhere... Why won't we notice the difference between 5 and 3 when Ricoh is making a big deal out of it (5 stops...). The focal distance is important? Why? I think I am having a little oroblem thinking this through (and understanding). Thanks in advanced.
03-19-2016, 05:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Why do we think we will only have 3axis?! I haven't read this anywhere... Why won't we notice the difference between 5 and 3 when Ricoh is making a big deal out of it (5 stops...). The focal distance is important? Why? I think I am having a little oroblem thinking this through (and understanding). Thanks in advanced.
The X/Y movement affect the scene as much independent of distance. If you capture a scene that is 10 m wide, and the X/Y camera shake is 1 mm, then the camera shake is less than a pixel (1 mm movement on a scene that is 10000 mm wide), so it will not affect the captured image. But if the scene you capture is 10 cm wide then the same X/Y camera shake of 1 mm will affect the scene 100 times more and will be visible (1 mm movement on a scene that is 100 mm wide).

So to know how much to move the sensor, the camera need to know the distance the lens is focused on and which focal length is used. (magnification of the shot).

(In real life the X/Y camera motion is probably much less than I described above)

Btw, the 5 stops correction is verified by using the CIPA standard test, which only apply for pitch and jaw motion (2-axis).
The number of axis compensated for does not necessarily say anything on how well the stabilization work (numbers of stops).

Last edited by Fogel70; 03-19-2016 at 05:15 AM.