Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is SR compatible with manual focus Pentax lenses?

Does SR in the K-1 function only with certain lenses? I'm hoping SR works with the classic Pentax A and M series manual focus lenses.

Ross

03-10-2016, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ross. Because Pentax put the SR in their camera bodies, all lenses get the benefit of it.
03-10-2016, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Yes it works with all lenses. You get a promt to manualy set focal lenght when you mount a manual lens.
03-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unless you are using the video mode, in which case it doesn't work with any lens anymore.
This was working extremely well in 2009 in the k-7 and later the in k-5 series, but unfortunately hasn't been seen again since.

03-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Ross. Because Pentax put the SR in their camera bodies, all lenses get the benefit of it.
Yes, I'm sure it seemed like a dumb question But in Pentax's official specs they stated SR was available with "compatible Pentax lenses" which made me wonder. Also, other manufacturers with a sensor stabilizer do not necessarily have full compatibility with all lenses - for example the Sony A-series with 5-axis is not available with every Sony lens - some of their lenses drop to 3-axis mode.

It will be great if the full effective 5-axis SR is available with virtually any lens.

Thanks,
Ross
03-10-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
It will be great if the full effective 5-axis SR is available with virtually any lens.
I agree and think it will be very interesting to see how the fine points of this technology unfold once the user manual becomes available and the camera finds itself in user hands.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-11-2016 at 08:58 AM.
03-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Older zoom lenses that don’t communicate their current focal length will not get the full SR effect on all focal lengths.
As for the two “new” axis added to the SR function, it will need the distance to the subject in focus to work. How the camera get that distance is still unknown, so maybe that will only work with newer lenses.

03-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
How the camera get that distance is still unknown
Focus distance is part of the information available through the data pin of AF lenses (KAF/KAF2 mounts). I am not sure how granular this information is or whether it has changed with lens generation.

Steve
03-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Banned

Does SR in the K-1 function only with certain lenses? I'm hoping SR works with the classic Pentax A and M series manual focus lenses.

Ross
It works even with handmade pinhole lenses.

Could be a little tricky for inexperienced users with old manual ZOOM lenses.
When you turn on your camera it will ask you for FIXED focal length which is related to amount of sensor stabilization movement.
If you change focal length on your manual zoom, camera couldn't detect that and stabilization will stay on initial focal length.
You can fix that (without turning your camera off and on) by entering menu and changing menu option for that purpose.
That could be annoying for some users and in good light conditions they usually decide to leave focal length on initial value which is usually: mostly used focal length on that particular zoom, lowest focal length or average focal length (probably worst option). It depends on their shooting style and light conditions.

SR is not working in video mode (last model with that option enabled was K-5), because of too much mechanical noise on internal microphone. Disabling that functionality is a pitty because external microphone always worked fine on my K-5. I think that should be enabled again but not as a default and with warning in user manual. I am 100% sure it could be done easily on K-1 with firmware update.

Last edited by banep; 03-11-2016 at 12:01 PM.
03-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
SR is not working in video mode (last model with that option enabled was K-5), because of too much mechanical noise on internal microphone. Disabling that functionality is a pitty because external microphone always worked fine on my K-5. I think that should be enabled again but not as a default and with warning in user manual. I am 100% sure it could be done easily on K-1 with firmware update.
Assuming all hardware since the K-5 is in fact capable of mechanical stabilisation in video mode, then why limit such a firmware change to the K-1?
03-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was out shooting with my latest lens I got for my Pentax, a Porst 35-105 3,5 and met my wife in the city for a coffee. I showed her my new lens and the green button method and let her hold a shot. I told her, "oh this will be too blurry but you get the idea" -- long story short, she actually hold that shot of 1,3 sec with her hand only using the SR (IBIS) of the K5 II. I was blown away. 1.3 Seconds, ISO 250, 35mm (and I think it was f4 or so, don't remember)

The K-1 has a 5 axis IBIS and will be even better with old lenses than the K5 II

Last edited by i5_david; 05-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.
03-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
I was out shooting with my latest lens I got for my Pentax, a Porst 35-105 3,5 and met my wife in the city for a coffee. I showed her my new lens and the green button method and let her hold a shot. I told her, "oh this will be too blurry but you get the idea" -- long story short, she actually hold that shot of 1,3 sec with her hand only using the SR (IBIS) of the K5 II. I was blown away. 1.3 Seconds, ISO 250, 35mm (and I think it was f4 or so, don't remember)

The K-1 has a 5 axis IBIS and will be even better with old lenses than the K5 II
That is indeed impressive for 1.3 seconds handheld!

The discussion earlier in this thread indicates the K-1 will need distance information to enable the full 5-axis SR (apparently provided by a pin found only in AF lenses), so manual lenses will only have 3-axis SR available. This is the same way the Sony sensor stabilization works in their A7 models, giving 5-axis for compatible lenses and only 3-axis for others. I guess we need to hear a definitive statement on this from Pentax themselves.

Cheers,
Ross
03-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The discussion earlier in this thread indicates the K-1 will need distance information to enable the full 5-axis SR (apparently provided by a pin found only in AF lenses), so manual lenses will only have 3-axis SR available.
Does anyone know when distance information was added to the AF lenses?

I seem to recall being told by a Pentax rep in the early 90s (about the time Nikon was going on about 3D matrix metering) that Pentax had been doing focus distance in the lenses for years.

Does that mean Pentax F lenses have distance information or is it strictly a FA thing?

-Eric
03-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't get it. When I fire up my K5II with old glas I am in a menu where I provide the information of the focal length. Since I primarily use primes the sensor will use this information to SR. Why should the K1 should do it different? This is their flagship... Did I miss something?
03-16-2016, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
I don't get it. When I fire up my K5II with old glas I am in a menu where I provide the information of the focal length. Since I primarily use primes the sensor will use this information to SR. Why should the K1 should do it different? This is their flagship... Did I miss something?
The three-axis system in older cameras needs focal length to work at its best, but the five-axis system also wants to know how far away you've focused. The older lenses don't have a way to communicate that.

So the K1 will likely work the same way as your K5, but then it will work better with the newer lenses...

-Eric