Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

The best solution for whom?

03-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

it's a shame , because it's obvious that a lot of people came to pentax, if the third offer was really complete. This situation is really a drag, Pentax has crossed a threshold in the credibility with the arrival of a high-performance FF, the company now must try to confirm expectations by making an offer full with varied range of lenses.

the response I often read is that the offer already exists on all ranges , but I make two comments on this:

- All previous lenses at the output of FF, are not necessarily usable in this format, with an optimum quality.
- The application does not necessarily correspond to a need to cover all ranges : there's also a need to vary with other manufacturers that offer a different "philosophy" in terms of colorimetry, sharpness, shades, bokeh ... 50mm Pentax will not be the same as a 50mm voigtlander or zeiss, and is also responding to a request, to be able to leave a few modern choices to users of Pentax DSLR...
03-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the K-mount is often cited as a major hurdle due to the mechanical aperture coupling. I think there is something to that.

It has been rumored that Samyang is headed for AF sometime fairly soon. IMHO, that would be a real game changer...
03-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Keep in mind that the K-mount is often cited as a major hurdle due to the mechanical aperture coupling. I think there is something to that.

It has been rumored that Samyang is headed for AF sometime fairly soon. IMHO, that would be a real game changer...
The mechanical aperture coupling didn't stop Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina from offering K-mount lenses in the past. No, it has to be something else...

03-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
The mechanical aperture coupling didn't stop Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina from offering K-mount lenses in the past. No, it has to be something else...
Market share. ☺
03-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Market share. ☺
Yup. Sigma is not in business to be a charity; they must see an economic benefit commensurate with their investment in bringing out their lenses in another mount. Maybe if the K-1 really takes off we will see some new Sigma lenses for K-mount, given the few modern FF lenses in that mount, but frankly, I'm dubious...
03-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

There is also opportunity cost. If sigma can't keep up with supply for some of their new lenses it would be stupid for them to spend time to make a K-mount version that may take a few years to be profitable. If the factory has spare production capacity then it makes sense to produce for smaller markets.

03-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I really don't have much knowledge in this regard but is it a complete different thing to create a lens for Pentax K if another mount already exist? Most likely I am naive but I thought that if you have he lens design it's only a small step to offer them in K mount also?!? Do you need to to design the lens from ground up to fit Pentax?
03-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #24
Inactive Account

more than an optic challenge, no doubt the electronics complicating adaptation ?
only wish is an adaptative screw like leitax
03-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #25
Forum Member

I keep the fingers crossed that Sigma will decide to adapt the 50/1.4 [Art] for K-mount like the impressing 35/1.4 [Art], which is already available.

Maybe the reason for offering the 35/1.4 [Art] is the missing offer of equivalent lenses by Pentax. At longer focal length the DA* 55/1.4 is an acceptable choice for APS-C, so there was no real market chance. But I'm sure that the DA* 55/1.4 at FF won't be as satisfying and more customers would buy the very appealing 50/1.4 [Art] for the K-1 as a high end standard lens.
03-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
. But I'm sure that the DA* 55/1.4 at FF won't be as satisfying
People have got great shots with it on FF, Austro-Diesel!
03-13-2016, 03:56 AM   #27
Forum Member

Yes, yes, it's okay. I know the DA*, the Sigma 50/1.4 EX -- both optical about the same level -- and the Sigma 50/1.4 [Art]. Both Sigmas are "DG", officially designed for FF, too.

I would like to own the [Art].

BTW: I'm a Sigma fanboy.
03-13-2016, 04:12 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote

BTW: I'm a Sigma fanboy.
Okay.

It'd be good if they did make it, but I don't think they will.

Big K-1 sales will still be insignificant by industry standards.
03-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #29
6x7

At least in the US, Sigma is offering a mount conversion service. This means you can change the mount from any Nikon or Canon mount Sigma Art lens to Pentax K. Not sure if this service is available outside the US. Also not sure how much Sigma charges for this service. Is there anyone here who has experience with this service?
03-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #30
Forum Member

The mount conversion service is available only for lenses which are sold with K-mount too. Would be too nice.

A collegue uses the 50/1.4 [Art] with his Canon 5DS R ... nice, very nice lens.