Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Locally I have London Drugs that sells Ricoh Products being the K3II and the K50, but other APSC bodies or GRII's or Q's are only available by special order. Store refuses to stock anything else.
London Drugs Nanaimo carries the K-S2 and I think the K500. Don't need either so didn't pay too too much attention. But same here for the GRII's or Q's.
They do have the K-1 on reserve as well. There are 2 stores if you need anything and don't mind the drive. The advantage being you can see prior to buying, even if you order from your home branch. It's nice to touch something first. A call to either branch will let you know what's in stock.

Kerrisdale Camera and Lens and Shutter both have a bricks and mortar presence on the Island as well (Victoria) but I am not sure what either physically carry.

03-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Excellent news from Sandy Ramirez about the K-1's autofocus.

"the K-1 is an incredible camera. It's on par with the top of the line Canons or Nikons. Seriously I now will get myself one, a great companion to my 645Z."
Very good news for all interested Pentaxians!
03-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
London Drugs Nanaimo carries the K-S2 and I think the K500. Don't need either so didn't pay too too much attention. But same here for the GRII's or Q's.
They do have the K-1 on reserve as well. There are 2 stores if you need anything and don't mind the drive. The advantage being you can see prior to buying, even if you order from your home branch. It's nice to touch something first. A call to either branch will let you know what's in stock.

Kerrisdale Camera and Lens and Shutter both have a bricks and mortar presence on the Island as well (Victoria) but I am not sure what either physically carry.
I find that Kerrisdale is better to deal with when it comes to Pentax. I purchased my Sigma 70-200 HSM OS from them a few years back along with my FA 100 F2.8 Macro lens. You can find a good assortment of used equipment at Camera Traders in Victoria.
03-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry, but who is Sandy Ramirez? Just wondering which Fashion Mags he has been published in as I never heard of him before.
About Me - Sandy Ramirez

03-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote

Looks like he's had an exhibit at The Louvre.

We have to face the fact that he's no Ken Rockwell.

He actually knows what he's doing.
03-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Let's hope he actually knows what he's saying.
03-12-2016, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

No ... see Post 6 for a quote.
Well, then I outright don't believe him.

The K-1 will be an improvement over previous Pentax cameras AF.C wise, but catching up with the D810 or even the 1Dx? Naaah ... I trust Kenspo on this one.

But we'll see April.

03-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, then I outright don't believe him ... I trust Kenspo on this one.

But we'll see April.
I think you should organize a Cage Match between them before then. ☺
03-13-2016, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

As an old street fighter, I'm up for some action. hehe :P

But fighting doesn't solve anything in this case
03-13-2016, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

But fighting doesn't solve anything in this case

Yes it does. We can see if the AF.C can track the punches.
03-13-2016, 02:25 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Yes it does. We can see if the AF.C can track the punches.
I'm calling Thread Winner.
03-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Haha..good one
03-13-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On par and slightly more accurate than a 1DX? Since I own a 1DX, that is something that is going to be on my overburdened list of things to test with this camera... I think getting a second K-1 will be a good idea for me.
03-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #44
Forum Member

Looks like he's had an exhibit at The Louvre.

We have to face the fact that he's no Ken Rockwell.

lol!
03-13-2016, 06:56 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't it notable that a USD $1,800 35mm Full Frame camera compares favorably to either a USD $2,800 (Nikon) or a USD $4,500 camera (Canon)?

Since Pentax hasn't had a 35mm Full Frame for everyone to work with to date, I am speculating that the design goals were directed at making this first effort at a 35mm Full Frame show just how good their engineers and developers are. Excellent image quality equal to the competition, dynamic range on par with or better than others, noise levels on par with or better than others, build quality better than all but the most expensive professional cameras, other features no one else has, not pushing the technology and possibly failing in some small but important way with respect to marketing perceptions. A philosophy pointing to evolutionary designs rather than revolutionary designs. Evolution may be slower than revolution, but long term it means highly adapted and workable design architectures that stand the test of time. This approach is, in my opinion, an extraordinarily astute move on Ricoh/Pentax's part to establish the idea in the professional and consumer markets that Pentax is a 35 mm Full Frame camera manufacturing company worth looking at.

People wonder why Ricoh may not have gone with the most bleeding edge sensor, or fastest frame shooting speeds, or a slightly higher sync speed, or better video, or any of the myriad other things a lot of people have called for or wished for. What they've done, apparently from first looks, is designed an extremely competent and competitive camera with a feature set that is on a par with other higher cost cameras. I believe they wanted to get everything right with the first camera and let the market grow from there (my evolution versus revolution comment above). If my guess is right, out of that design process we have a camera that equals a lot of other more expensive ones from the competition that positions the 35 mm Full Frame K-1 series firmly in the market place and leaves room for growth once they have established that they are capable of building high quality with unheard of low pricing.

That approach definitely works for the engineer in me.

Last edited by OldPentaxFan; 03-14-2016 at 02:07 AM. Reason: grammar corrections