Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I appreciate all the responses, they are helpful, but shortly after this post I decided to stretch out on the sofa in my home office for a little nap. I keep the K5IIs+Bigma mounted on a shelf and as I stretched out I put a crutch up to the shelf to prop up my feet.

I knocked the camera and mounted lens off on the floor and the Bigma pulled the mounting flange completely out of the camera. It took me almost an hour to get the flange off of the Bigma. I think the Bigma is OK, nothing broke, but the camera is toast.

Makes me sick.....I use this camera every day here in the Woods of Otis and will be lost without it. Now the decision is going to be even harder given the advice received here. Mrs Rupert, seeing my distress was sympathetic and said I could get anything I want.....and I swear this was a total accident. I would never put my camera or Bigma in intentional danger.

The K3 is priced nicely now.....but that K1 is still alluring to me. I'll give it a few days and make a decision. Right now I just feel nauseated and as broken as my camera.

At my age, the K1 might be all I ever needed from here on out.....but I would like to see some real life users here with it before ordering. Then again, weeks with no camera except the little Fuji X10/X20 is a tough thought.

I was too careless, but I have had it sitting there for years with different cameras and the Bigmas without incident, I never thought of an accident like this.

Best Regards & thanks to all.

Rupert

03-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes!
You need a K-3 immediately....
03-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I appreciate all the responses, they are helpful, but shortly after this post I decided to stretch out on the sofa in my home office for a little nap. I keep the K5IIs+Bigma mounted on a shelf and as I stretched out I put a crutch up to the shelf to prop up my feet.

I knocked the camera and mounted lens off on the floor and the Bigma pulled the mounting flange completely out of the camera. It took me almost an hour to get the flange off of the Bigma. I think the Bigma is OK, nothing broke, but the camera is toast.

Makes me sick.....I use this camera every day here in the Woods of Otis and will be lost without it. Now the decision is going to be even harder given the advice received here. Mrs Rupert, seeing my distress was sympathetic and said I could get anything I want.....and I swear this was a total accident. I would never put my camera or Bigma in intentional danger.

The K3 is priced nicely now.....but that K1 is still alluring to me. I'll give it a few days and make a decision. Right now I just feel nauseated and as broken as my camera.

At my age, the K1 might be all I ever needed from here on out.....but I would like to see some real life users here with it before ordering. Then again, weeks with no camera except the little Fuji X10/X20 is a tough thought.

I was too careless, but I have had it sitting there for years with different cameras and the Bigmas without incident, I never thought of an accident like this.

Rupert
So sorry to hear that Rupert. That is a heartbreaking feeling, I know it all too well. But on the other hand maybe your subconscious was trying to vote for you ;-) In all seriousness, the K-1 is alluring and I'm sure you would not regret it, but the K-3 is also an extremely capable camera and a great value.
03-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Rupert

Sorry to hear that, Rupert. Small consolation, but at least the Bigma is okay. Good luck picking out your new cam.

th1952

03-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #20
Forum Member

I need to look at the K1 specs & information again, but if it does better on higher ISO then I'll probably get it. Mainly because my experience with the K3 (actually 2 of them) has not been good with ISO over 400.

Like the others said your best bet is to wait and see what others say after actually using it. Good luck!
03-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yikes!
You need a K-3 immediately....
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
So sorry to hear that Rupert. That is a heartbreaking feeling, I know it all too well.
QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
Sorry to hear that, Rupert. Small consolation, but at least the Bigma is okay. Good luck picking out your new cam.
Thank you guys for the sympathy, I do feel sick inside ...I truly loved this camera, have since day one. I never intended to get rid of it no matter what I get new. I guess there are worse things, no doubt, but right this minute it is devastating.

Regards
03-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
So, unless you are shooting with a not FF lens why would you ever shoot in crop mode and lose the ability to define your crop after the fact, if you wanted that extra "zoom"?
There are reason, but they are few. You will have a better burst rate and greater buffer depth (well, less buffer impact per frame). Or, if the subject is extremely small in the fame anyway, like a songbird in a tree 50 meters away, you have the option of throwing away 90% of the image in post, or 67% now, and an additional 23% in post. You will eventually have to throw away 90% of the image, so why not opt for the smaller file size?

Not terribly compelling reasons, but those are the only ones I can think of... Oh! Exercise maybe?

03-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #23
Forum Member

UGH! I had a similar accident with a K3 and Tamron 70-200, wasn't pretty at all. I had it repaired, cost a little over $300, but I had to send it back as it wouldn't keep a connection with a lens.

Best of luck with your decision & purchase (whatever it may be).
03-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your accident. As I see it, you have 3 options:

1) buy a used K-5iis
2) buy a new K-3/K3ii
3) buy a K-1

Obviously option 1 is the most economical but you would have to wait for a unit to come up for sale. Option 2 is the most immediate resolution, since you can order one tonight and have it in your hands in several days, at the most. Option 3 is the most expensive and the longest wait time.

A difficult decision but I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 03-12-2016 at 07:19 PM.
03-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see a K1 with the grip and a da150-450 in your future.
03-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, tough decisions....I will sleep on it and not act in too much haste. It's not the money as much as wanting to get he right camera for the long haul.

Mrs Rupert...bless her heart..she knew my distress and came in from shopping with a sympathy cuddle to ease my pain.

Name:  DSCF9830-800.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  500.9 KB

Another reminder that there are more things to be thankful for than not.....

Regards!
03-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Omg 😞. Sorry to hear. Looks like the Fujis will be getting some extra work. Keep us posted !
03-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

03-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-1 will have a more advanced pixel shift than K-3II. But K-3II does a good job. If you can get the creatures to hold still it's an amazing feature.
03-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Rupie,
I think destiny is trying to tell you something here. I can't see how a new K-1 cannot do what you are doing currently with your K-5iis or even the K-3 and then some. Technology marches on and in one or two years you could or will be sorry not having acted on destinies little hint. And by then if you find you are still grieving over the loss of the APS-C you will be able to pick a good one up for next to nothing and Ms Rupert will commend you how clever you are.

Cheers