Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ouch!

But spooky timing of the event. Something was trying to speak to you.

03-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It sounds easier than it is.....the options are all good. Surprisingly, Mrs Rupert says go with the FF and be done with it for a long time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
shoot with a K7 and a Sigma 50-500 right now and have preordered the K1. If you want to wait I can give you a hands on account of the differences between those two cameras.
I think I am going to wait at least until the Big Dog and a few others get the K1 and give me their take on it. I have those Toy Cameras meanwhile, and I really need to use them more anyhow. I just want to get it right for my particular shooting needs. I feel confident the K1 is going to be a real winner, but some samples of the type of shots I take will ease my mind about the function of a FF camera in my shooting style.

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Yesterday I was able to get this pic of Blinky Bill with my K3 and DA 300mm
That's a really fine shot! Maybe the K3 is what I need? More pixels, better cropping.....it might satisfy all my needs......damn!..tough decisions are harder when you are in distress. In a few days my head will be more clear!

Regards!...you guys are very supportive, isn't this a great place!

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
ey Rupie,
I think destiny is trying to tell you something here. I can't see how a new K-1 cannot do what you are doing currently with your K-5iis or even the K-3 and then some. Technology marches on and in one or two years you could or will be sorry not having acted on destinies little hint. And by then if you find you are still grieving over the loss of the APS-C you will be able to pick a good one up for next to nothing and Ms Rupert will commend you how clever you are.
Not bad thinking.....some would call it "Big Brain Thinking"...but I won't say who! Truly, those are very good and reasonable thoughts! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Omg 😞. Sorry to hear. Looks like the Fujis will be getting some extra work. Keep us posted !
Yep, look for me more in the Toy Camera thread! Thanks for your sympathy...you too Jim.....I'm pretty down tonight,but I will survive it!

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 09:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ouch!

But spooky timing of the event. Something was trying to speak to you.
You know, I headed for the sofa only minutes after starting the post, and seconds later came the crash....it is spooky!
03-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

You photograph lots of stuff at long distances.. squirrels.. birds.. squirrels. Do you photograph anything closer to you than those?

IF not the crop body might make more sense.

Otherwise, K-1 for a better all-around. But you're back to K-5II resolution and burst rate in crop mode.

That said, if you don't go K-1 now, do you think it will be an uphill battle to get one later? Might be wise to go for it now while you can..

Even if you dont, I'd consider a K-3II over the K-3 as it supposedly has better tracking and an astrotracer. So you could capture space squirrels.
03-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hell Rupert, Sorry to hear! Insurance claim? K-1 in your future, I think!

03-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hey Rupie,
I think destiny is trying to tell you something here. I can't see how a new K-1 cannot do what you are doing currently with your K-5iis or even the K-3 and then some. Technology marches on and in one or two years you could or will be sorry not having acted on destinies little hint. And by then if you find you are still grieving over the loss of the APS-C you will be able to pick a good one up for next to nothing and Ms Rupert will commend you how clever you are.

Cheers
Makes sense to me.....
03-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #36
Forum Member

Using K-5 IIs, two K-3 and pre-ordered a K-1 I would like to recommend: Wait some weeks till the K-1 is released and buy a shortly used K-3 from an early adopter. A pretty good camera for your needs. If you were satisfied by the K-5 IIs you will be very happy with the K-3 too. It's smaller and lighter than the K-1 and in the case of accident the loss of money it is much less.

However, if you consider in the following months the K-1 is necessary, the price of the K-1 will have dropped to a level, that there is no real loss swapping the bodies.

Last edited by Austro-Diesel; 03-13-2016 at 12:10 AM.
03-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thank you guys for the sympathy, I do feel sick inside ...I truly loved this camera, have since day one. I never intended to get rid of it no matter what I get new. I guess there are worse things, no doubt, but right this minute it is devastating.

Regards
Ouch!
Apply K-50 until pain subsides. Not a direct sub for what you've lost but for ~ $200us lightly used it's pretty soothing
and you can sell it in 4 months for $180, that's cheap rent!

03-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
So, unless you are shooting with a not FF lens why would you ever shoot in crop mode and lose the ability to define your crop after the fact, if you wanted that extra "zoom"?
You wouldn't, that was just to clear up the confusion.
I've read some thinking that by shooting with a FF camera they could magically get a one stop advantage over APS-C, even with crop lenses...
03-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
...but there is no substitute for that FF viewfinder.
Maybe there is.

While the viewfinder in the K-1 is larger then in the K3, it's not THAT much larger. So if you intend to shoot in crop mode, the crop part of the K-1 viewfinder will be smaller then the viewfinder in a dedicated crop camera as the K3.

At least that is my understanding from only reading specs and comments, I have not yet seen it myself.
03-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #40
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
So, unless you are shooting with a not FF lens why would you ever shoot in crop mode and lose the ability to define your crop after the fact, if you wanted that extra "zoom"?
Higher frame rate would be one reason.
03-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I appreciate all the responses, they are helpful, but shortly after this post I decided to stretch out on the sofa in my home office for a little nap. I keep the K5IIs+Bigma mounted on a shelf and as I stretched out I put a crutch up to the shelf to prop up my feet.

I knocked the camera and mounted lens off on the floor and the Bigma pulled the mounting flange completely out of the camera. It took me almost an hour to get the flange off of the Bigma. I think the Bigma is OK, nothing broke, but the camera is toast.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope it's not too painful financially.
But look at the bright side: they say sleep is a good adviser. Perhaps you were advised to buy a K-1

---------- Post added 13-03-16 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Higher frame rate would be one reason.
And having quick access to the Crop setting via the new dials starts making sense: and instant boost from 4.4 to 6.5fps
03-13-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for camera mishap. K1 for sure I reckon.

I have a K5II you can borrow for a while if you'd like..... no problems or catches..... just pm me I can send it minus battery etc.
03-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Mrs Rupert sounds like a keeper! I think her advice is good, K-1 and you won't be second guessing down the road.
03-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim, I have a like new K20D you can use until you get the K-1. I can stick it in the mail tomorrow if you want it.
03-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

The issue is you're shooting a K5II. Th K-1 has one of those built in. If you are not going to get a K-3, then a K-1 is just a K-5 plus. It's question of do you want the plus?

The plus is 12 MP and a 35%-50% increase in resolution (roughly 3000 lw/ph to roughly 4000+ lw/ph)
A wider field of view for the same lens.
It's looking like 2 stops better low light performance, with a useable ISO of 6400.
Possibly more Dynamic Range.

But essentially for what you do, it's not going to give you much on many images. A K-3II would give you more for the squirrel. The K-1 will give you more for the rest of your photography.

Last edited by normhead; 03-13-2016 at 06:36 AM.