Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, there are several forum members who do have K1s, they seem to be very happy with them - even with the ore-release firmware in them. Send one of them a private message and ask for their opinion.

03-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A K-3 or K-3 II beats a K-1 for telephoto use because of the ability to crop harder. IQ from a K-1 in crop mode is no better or worse than a K-5 IIs. The K-3 II makes the most sense for Rupert, IMO. Second best would be a K-3.
03-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sorry for camera mishap. K1 for sure I reckon.

I have a K5II you can borrow for a while if you'd like..... no problems or catches..... just pm me I can send it minus battery etc.
I so appreciate your generosity, but I will wait a few days and make a decision, then order ....something?

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Mrs Rupert sounds like a keeper! I think her advice is good, K-1 and you won't be second guessing down the road.
She's a jewel, I beat her up sometimes in jest, but in reality she has been 50 years of solid gold. Last night when she gave me the little lamb....she said, you know that if you want something ....you've got it. And she has a record of proving that to be true.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Jim, I have a like new K20D you can use until you get the K-1. I can stick it in the mail tomorrow if you want it.
Thank you so much Jim, you are a true friend too! I will be ordering something? soon. I'll give it a few days to think over my options and then make the call. Meanwhile...I have those Toy Cameras. Of course, they are too short to shoot birds and squirrels.....which may indeed be a good thing!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But essentially for what you do, it's not going to give you much on many images. A K-3 would give you more.
I respect your expertise very much Norm....you are a straight shooter. Your advice will weigh heavily on my decision. While I am down....maybe you can do some extra shooting/posting of my favorite subjects.......you do know what that might be...right?

Again, I want to thank all my friends here for the concern, advice, and sympathy. I know you guys really feel the pain, it could be anyone and though it is "only" a camera you guys know that it is much more, it is apart of our lives. It is joy, it is happiness, it is comfort, it is "family". I also appreciate that Mrs Rupert understands this and is so supportive....last night when I mentioned the price differences of the options, she reminded me that she fully financed my little downtown studio I had for a year (such fun!) and my Jeep...and my Audi TT....and so much more. With a Mrs Rupert at my side and friends like I have here, it is hard not to have a big smile this morning in spite of my loss.

Best Regards!
Rupert

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
Rupert, there are several forum members who do have K1s, they seem to be very happy with them - even with the ore-release firmware in them. Send one of them a private message and ask for their opinion.
I will check that out! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A K-3 or K-3 II beats a K-1 for telephoto use because of the ability to crop harder. IQ from a K-1 in crop mode is no better or worse than a K-5 IIs. The K-3 II makes the most sense for Rupert, IMO. Second best would be a K-3.
That sounds reasonable and logical......Sometimes I am reasonable and logical.....sometimes not...we'll see?

Best Regards! & Thanks!
03-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert, I feel you pain. Last week I threw out my Tamron 300mm f2.8 lens. All my own fault too.

FWIW, I own a K5, K5-IIs and a K3. Since I got the K3 the other two cameras mostly sit. The K3 autofocus is definitely better. I have the 150-450 lens and it works great on the K3.

Below are three photos. The first one is the full image and the next two are cropped from it . They were shot at 410mm using my K3 and the bird was really out there. No real post processing other than cropping the images. Not great shots, but they do show how much you can crop the images from the K3 and still get usable results.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 03-13-2016 at 10:27 AM.
03-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #50
Forum Member

I don't see any real benefit buying the more expensive K-3 II. Save the money, take a "standard" K-3.

Maybe the better SR of the K-1 is an advantage, but a lens OS is at long focal lengths more convenient.
03-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Rupert, I feel you pain. Last week I threw out my Tamron 300mm f2.8 lens. All my own fault too.
Wooo! That hurts! ...That is some nice shooting, at least you still have a fine long lens.....I'd rollover dead with no long lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
I don't see any real benefit buying the more expensive K-3 II. Save the money, take a "standard" K-3.
I agree, a K3II would not benefit me much over a K3.

Read my new post here...I have made a decision I think I can live with.

Thanks guys, your comments are all well appreciated!
03-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be hard to resist the lure of a new K1....and kudos to Mrs Rupert for giving you the green light! I haven't seen your new post regarding your decision, but I think a K3 makes the most sense for your kind of shooting. Best of luck whatever your decision! ...and if you wanna go old-school in the meantime, I can send my trusty K10D down the road to you . Looks like some fun times ahead!

03-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Best of luck whatever your decision! ...and if you wanna go old-school in the meantime, I can send my trusty K10D down the road to you . Looks like some fun times ahead!
Thanks so much for the offer Paul....I think I'm gonna shoot mostly Toy Cameras for a few weeks....you know I do love them! Knowing the K1 is in the near future will keep me satisfied, but I will miss shooting the doves and squirrels......Perhaps the K1 will entice me to broaden my shooting subjects a little? If I had my little studio it would be perfect! Squirrels out...Girls in!

Puppies and pretty girls....Yep, the K1 could do that nicely!

Best Regards!
03-13-2016, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

I would seriously consider the K1 if my camera was broken. Wow! That's really bad luck. I know you really loved that K5lls. There are some definite advantages to an aps-c body for telephoto shooting like you do. You can always pick up a used K5 on the cheap although 36MP will give you plenty of cropping room.
03-13-2016, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I would seriously consider the K1 if my camera was broken.
Wow! That's really bad luck.
Those two statements put a whole new light on this situation.
Was this really an accident? "Oh dear! My beloved K-5IIs is broken. What to do, what to do?! I guess I'll just have to buy a K-1, darn it."
(Then get my K-5IIs fixed as a backup.)

Accident my tail feathers.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-13-2016 at 03:39 PM.
03-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't add the adaptist mount and fix the k5ii?
03-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Was this really an accident? "Oh dear! My beloved K-5IIs is broken. What to do, what to do?! I guess I'll just have to buy a K-1, darn it."

It is a little suspicious and the FF Bigma is miraculously unharmed.........Still, you have to cough up $1700+ for a K1 and do you really think any of us are going to be satisfied using 20 year old lenses on the K1? Nope. This is worse than LBA!
03-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster

It is a little suspicious and the FF Bigma is miraculously unharmed.........Still, you have to cough up $1700+ for a K1 and do you really think any of us are going to be satisfied using 20 year old lenses on the K1? Nope. This is worse than LBA!
Hey guys....I admit to some dirty tricks from time to time with Mrs Rupert, but trust me, there is no way I would ever do any harm to my K5IIs for any reason. I might do some tricky stuff to get a K1, and had several plans, but harming myK5IIs was never one of them!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can't add the adaptist mount and fix the k5ii?
I think what it needs is some internal surgery. We will find out once I get the K1.

Regards! ...and I am ashamed a couple of you thought so lowly of me! It's unimaginable you would suspect me of such a thing!
03-13-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hey guys....I admit to some dirty tricks from time to time with Mrs Rupert, but trust me, there is no way I would ever do any harm to my K5IIs for any reason. I might do some tricky stuff to get a K1, and had several plans, but harming myK5IIs was never one of them!

I think what it needs is some internal surgery. We will find out once I get the K1.

Regards! ...and I am ashamed a couple of you thought so lowly of me! It's unimaginable you would suspect me of such a thing!
I think Otis ran up there and pushed the camera off on purpose, probably so quick it was not possible to see with the human eye.....
03-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #60
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
and I am ashamed a couple of you thought so lowly of me! It's unimaginable you would suspect me of such a thing!
But, I meant it as a compliment!