Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Old Guy K1 Questions?

I am not very good at camera technology, only the simple stuff, am just a pure amateur and do not aspire to be much more, just to enjoy all possible in my personal shooting experiences.

I currently shoot with the K5IIs and find it the best Pentax I have ever owned, absolutely satisfied. Most of my current shooting is of birds, squirrels, and other wildlife.....not much interested in BIF, just stills.

My interest is in the K1 and the Pentax 150-450, which along with my current Bigma 50-500 would comprise most of my usage.

Now the questions.

Beyond the known advantages/disadvantages what will I gain?

I am thinking that if I use the crop factor on the K1 I will still have the long range ability of my K5IIs, just not the bigger files of the K1? Would this result in any improvement in noise and would I still get an advantage in that area over my current camera even shooting int he crop mode?

The better SR is also very appealing to me, so I consider that another plus. If you have more, I could use them to convince Mrs Rupert that such an expense is justified.....and do it legitimately instead of stealing from her brokerage accounts....been there done that and spent a few nights in my shop for it. It's heated in the winter...but summer is coming and I want to try to go legit because the shop has no air conditioning.

Other than the nonsense, I am serious about my questions. If you can offer your thoughts I will appreciate it.Thanks!

Regards!

03-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My basic understanding.

1)faster auto focus
2) better low light signal to noise ratio ( new generation sensor with slightly larger pixels)
3) wide angles when not in crop mode.
4) giant buffer space when cropped
5) bright viewfinder
03-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In my humble opinion, in the absence of an actual K-1 to play with, probably a good way to explore a camera like the K-1 in advance, and how it might suit your needs, would be to hire or borrow a Nikon D810 and a few lenses and try it out for a week-end. For me, the D810 seems the closest existing camera analog to a K-1.

Or borrow a 36MP Sony A7R and use it for few days with some of your existing K-mount lenses (via a K-mount to E-mount adapter).
03-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-1 In crop mode would pretty much be a K5/K5II so I would say no noticeable improvement (if we assume it is the same sensor as in D800). We could always hope they have done some other improvements but my guess is that they are very small, if any. Most of the benefit comes from the larger sensor area, and if you don't use it...

03-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a K-3 would give you many of the same advantages as the K1, but at 1/3rd of the price. You'll actually have more resolution shooting the lenses you mentioned on the K-3 than cropping in on the K-1, which means you can crop that much further in post if you need to. The K-3 also has better AF tracking than the K-5ii. I guess the main advantage that the K-1 affords is the you can quickly crop out if you find you are too close to an unexpected photo op.
03-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The most certain way to find out is to buy the camera.

Buy the cheapest A/C unit you can manage. Consider this an investment.
If the shop is large for the cheap A/C, invest in plastic painter's drop cloth and hang that to partition the shop. [+ go ahead and consider this second investment 'diversification']

Do you best to avoid detection while making 5-finger adjustments to the accounts.
Rifle easy knowing you have a comfort cool fall back...

For the money, you must wait to get your answer...
There is no way anyone can tell you in advance of the camera arriving. Even then, you will have to make a call... On the face, the camera, in crop mode, should equal K5 IIs. There will be some advances in technology built into the K1 sensor so this should make it some better than the K5. How much... You will get some good advice, but will it be accurate enough to make a purchase you are uncertain will meet your needs..?

Even when the camera arrives, unless you can lay hands on one, you will have to take the word of people using the camera. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be subjective assessments that may match your needs. If you can't lay hands on the camera to try, the best thing might be to see how it tests compared to a Nikon. Then rent that Nikon. If you don't feel that is all worthwhile (I don't plan to do it, myself), then still wait until the camera is released so you can get better infos..
03-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am sure someone will educate me here but:

If I take a photo with a full frame lens and use crop mode, excluding DOF, would this not be the same as taking a photo with a full frame lens and not using crop mode, then cropping on the computer?

03-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote

If I take a photo with a full frame lens and use crop mode, excluding DOF, would this not be the same as taking a photo with a full frame lens and not using crop mode, then cropping on the computer?
yes, including depth of field.
03-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote

Take a FF lens
1. APS-C camera
2. FF camera in crop mode
3. FF camera and computer crop
Print to same size

Same result in all three cases.
03-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

...but there is no substitute for that FF viewfinder.
03-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

I shoot with a K7 and a Sigma 50-500 right now and have preordered the K1. If you want to wait I can give you a hands on account of the differences between those two cameras.
Attached Images

03-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were Rupert, and keeping Otis happy was a priority, I'd stick with the K-5 IIs and wait for a the K-3's successor. I reckon it will have the SR features and AF array of the K-1 with all the advantages of APS-C - basically in the same league as the D500

I will keep my K-3 for three reasons - less size/weight for travel, faster frame rate for sports, and more reach with long lenses. Otherwise I expect the K-1 to be my go-to option for general use, landscapes, portraits and events.
03-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Take a FF lens
1. APS-C camera
Print to same size

So, unless you are shooting with a not FF lens why would you ever shoot in crop mode and lose the ability to define your crop after the fact, if you wanted that extra "zoom"?
03-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Take a FF lens
1. APS-C camera
Print to same size

You get an F stop difference with the APSC something like F11 = F16 FF but with the crop mode you wouldn't ?? and with the computer crop you wouldn't.
03-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If I were Rupert, and keeping Otis happy was a priority, I'd stick with the K-5 IIs and wait for a the K-3's successor. I reckon it will have the SR features and AF array of the K-1 with all the advantages of APS-C - basically in the same league as the D500

I will keep my K-3 for three reasons - less size/weight for travel, faster frame rate for sports, and more reach with long lenses. Otherwise I expect the K-1 to be my go-to option for general use, landscapes, portraits and events.
That's my plan and I often head out to shoot landscapes and wildlife at the same time. When I'm happy to carry the weight, I could have the K3 with a tele and the K1 with a wide lens.

Yesterday I was able to get this pic of Blinky Bill with my K3 and DA 300mm from just far enough out of her/his personal space to be tolerated. It is a great combo for both birds and furry animals.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Billk; 03-12-2016 at 06:16 PM.