Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Please let us all know if the K-1 can take pictures of more than just Otis.

I need to know before I order one. I've trained my K5-IIs to avoid squirrels, but if I can't train a K-1 to do the same I'll just stand pat.

03-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Enjoy your new camera and get the beloved K-5iis repaired. You will have the best of both worlds. Happy things are working out for you. Furthermore, the 105mm is a great lens. This unfortunate 'accident' might actually help you get back into the deep dark macro world.
Yep, I used to do a lot of macro...loved it! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
You damn well better love her! She's a keeper for sure, not that I have to tell you that. Sorry about the K-5 IIs but congrats on the K-1
Thank you, thank you! I am excited, even though still sad about my K5IIs.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
dropped my K5II on holiday in China, afterwards it would not communicate with the lens, but I could shoot manual as you describe. The repair was to reseat a connector that was partially dislodged....so may be a simple thing....hopefully.
Hopefully! Thanks Noel!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks for brining a smile to my face first thing in the morning
I appreciate that, but don't want to keep breaking cameras to get a big smile! Seriously....many thanks to you!

Thank you all!......and you bet I am excited about the K1 while hopeful about the K5IIs being repairable. Yes, Mrs Rupert is a jewel, I know I pick on her here from time to time but the reality is we have been through thick and thin, good and bad, and we have never wavered in our support of each other...for 50 years ! I take very good care of her, always have....it is not a one way street around here.

For those few not familiar with Mrs Rupert, here is a shot from last weekend when we visited this good friend of mine. He is a genuine Cowboy...shoes horses for a living, and is a great friend of long standing.

She'll be 70 in July.....Like I said, I've taken very good care of Mrs Rupert!

She did say to send her best to the guys/gals here at PForums.....and thanks them all for taking a lot of my time and keeping me out of her way!
03-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Good choice there Rupert and once the K5II returns you will have a nice backup camera.
03-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Good choice there Rupert and once the K5II returns you will have a nice backup camera.
Thanks! I think it's gonna work out! Even if I have to use the K5IIs as a MF camera, I will still love it too. My bet is they can fix it, but I'll have to wait and see.

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Please let us all know if the K-1 can take pictures of more than just Otis.

I need to know before I order one. I've trained my K5-IIs to avoid squirrels, but if I can't train a K-1 to do the same I'll just stand pat.
You saw the very first Ricoh shots? There was a handsome squirrel in there! It has a dedicated button for squirrels but you can super glue it locked....I guess?

Forgot....Doves....it shoots doves too! I do shoot a dove every so often!
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.
03-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well well well... I remember what someone wrote here just a month ago:
"When we see it in the field and the results and user opinions, I may get more interested. Of course, if squirrels demand it, you know I will have to have one".

It must be Otis demand, no doubt.
03-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1 has 5 potential Squirrel user modes as well

U1 Squirrel without nuts
U2 Squirrel with nuts
U3 Squirrel with big nuts
U4.......
03-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Here is my plan......Mrs Rupert left me an envelope this morning with one of her many credit cards....all with zero balances...and a note inside that said "Go for the Gold! ...Love!" ....she said I tossed and turned all night, and it interrupted her sleep.......but I think she really loves me?

I am going to go for the K1 and when it comes in, I am going to send the K5IIs off for repair.....anyone recommend KEH? It may be hopeless, but I've got to try, I love that camera! That's my plan..it came earlier than I anticipated, but I am glad to reach a decision.....and try to get a Happy Face once again!

Best Regards to all the great PF Members here that have been here in my time of need. If you ever need anything or I can help you in any way, let me know!
I am so disappointed in you. Trashing your camera to get a sympathy purchase.......Hold on.....I seem to remember the very same thing with my K10D and then the wife buying the K7 to replace it. Folks accused me of trashing the K10 to get the K7 back then......I apologize for jumping the gun here and accusing you prematurely.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-14-2016, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
It must be Otis demand, no doubt.
You can rest assured Otis was a big factor!

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
K1 has 5 potential Squirrel user modes as well

U1 Squirrel without nuts
U2 Squirrel with nuts
U3 Squirrel with big nuts
U4.......
U4.......???? Little squirrel with big nuts?

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
I apologize for jumping the gun here and accusing you prematurely.
I accept...we do what we have to do. Nice Cardinal!

Regards!
03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

You're a lucky guy, when I dropped my 60-250 and had to send it in for repair, all I got was "That was dumb.."
03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're a lucky guy, when I dropped my 60-250 and had to send it in for repair, all I got was "That was dumb.."
About what I would have gotten, except most of the comment would not have been printable. No problem with knowing where you stand with my girl.
03-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Hey Rupert, tell Otis if he gets me this I'll send him a hundred pounds of peanuts. I was dreaming of the FA*250-600 f/5.6, FA* 600 f/4 and A* 1200 f/8, before, but I think I could live with this.

This body:

Pentax 645Z Medium Format DSLR Camera (Body Only) 16599 B&H

With these lenses......
I know people say you can practically get a Pentax for peanuts, but I don't think they mean it literally!
I wonder what the actual exchange rate is... Unfortunately Google doesn't have this conversion in their system yet.
03-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I know people say you can practically get a Pentax for peanuts, but I don't think they mean it literally!
I wonder what the actual exchange rate is... Unfortunately Google doesn't have this conversion in their system yet.
I can get them in the shell roasted for about $1.50 a pound.....it varies on where I shop. I buy about 10 pounds a month as treats but the biggest expense is sunflower seeds......I buy around 100# a month just for the squirrels. Those are their staple and favorite. Corn is also popular.

Bird feed is also around 100# a month....it all adds up, but when I look out my windows there is always wildlife activity. At night it is possums and raccoons......the mama raccoon is soon to have babies again, so I make sure she has plenty of healthy food every night. Last night she had some high protein dry dog food, two leftover cod filets and a dozen large shrimp. She eats as good as we do...excepting veggies.....raccoons hate veggies, but do love bananas and avocados!

Regards!
03-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I kept the small birds supplied with suet cakes through the winter and the rest supplied with corn. The deer were the worst.
03-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I kept the small birds supplied with suet cakes through the winter and the rest supplied with corn. The deer were the worst.
Whatever we can do is appreciated by the little animals. We had one small bout of snow and it was cold and windy that day. I fed them several times and hope it helped keep them warm. It can be tough out there, glad to see you think of them too!

Regards!