Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Envelope Please...A Decision is Made!

While Mrs Rupert is at Church this morning, undoubtedly praying for me and my camera, I tried to put the mounting flange and little parts that came out back together. It took a while and it is maybe half right..or not...but I mounted a couple of lenses to check it out. The AF lenses don't work...they just won't function as AF lenses.

So I mounted my Kiron 105 Macro, and it works just fine! It gives manual focus confirmation and the flash even works! Only 3 of the flange screws are solid, but it seems to hold it well enough. I'm not sure I got the little thin metal ring behind it on just right,and the lens lock is not working, but otherwise I may be able to shoot my manual lenses with it?

The body is not cracked and the screens all work....everything else seems to function except the aperture control wheel on the AF lenses and the AF on AF lenses.

Flash was fine.....I had to get close with the 105, but was tickled it worked at all! Even if it will only serve as a MF shooter, I will still use it. I used to shoot a lot of Macro....maybe I will get back to that?

Here is my plan......Mrs Rupert left me an envelope this morning with one of her many credit cards....all with zero balances...and a note inside that said "Go for the Gold! ...Love!" ....she said I tossed and turned all night, and it interrupted her sleep.......but I think she really loves me?

I am going to go for the K1 and when it comes in, I am going to send the K5IIs off for repair.....anyone recommend KEH? It may be hopeless, but I've got to try, I love that camera! That's my plan..it came earlier than I anticipated, but I am glad to reach a decision.....and try to get a Happy Face once again!

Best Regards to all the great PF Members here that have been here in my time of need. If you ever need anything or I can help you in any way, let me know!

03-13-2016, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
and it interrupted her sleep.......but I think she really loves me?
I think she loves her sleep........................
03-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

While Mrs Rupert is at Church this morning, undoubtedly praying for me and my camera, I tried to put the mounting flange and little parts that came out back together. It took a while and it is maybe half right..or not...but I mounted a couple of lenses to check it out. The AF lenses don't work...they just won't function as AF lenses.

So I mounted my Kiron 105 Macro, and it works just fine! It gives manual focus confirmation and the flash even works! Only 3 of the flange screws are solid, but it seems to hold it well enough. I'm not sure I got the little thin metal ring behind it on just right,and the lens lock is not working, but otherwise I may be able to shoot my manual lenses with it?

The body is not cracked and the screens all work....everything else seems to function except the aperture control wheel on the AF lenses and the AF on AF lenses.

Flash was fine.....I had to get close with the 105, but was tickled it worked at all! Even if it will only serve as a MF shooter, I will still use it. I used to shoot a lot of Macro....maybe I will get back to that?

Here is my plan......Mrs Rupert left me an envelope this morning with one of her many credit cards....all with zero balances...and a note inside that said "Go for the Gold! ...Love!" ....she said I tossed and turned all night, and it interrupted her sleep.......but I think she really loves me?

I am going to go for the K1 and when it comes in, I am going to send the K5IIs off for repair.....anyone recommend KEH? It may be hopeless, but I've got to try, I love that camera! That's my plan..it came earlier than I anticipated, but I am glad to reach a decision.....and try to get a Happy Face once again!

Best Regards to all the great PF Members here that have been here in my time of need. If you ever need anything or I can help you in any way, let me know!
Well, you qualify as one happy man! Enjoy the new kit (and the wife) !
03-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congrats. Can't wait to see some Otis and spanish doves with the K-1. Glad you can still shoot while you wait for the new toy!

03-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky man, indeed! Go for the gold
03-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great News, Rupert! My K5 IIs is working fine (knock on wood), but I'll be very curious to know what you make of the K 1. Let us know on the old K5 IIs thread where we can follow Otis's adventures when the time comes.
03-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think she loves her sleep........................
You think?

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Well, you qualify as one happy man! Enjoy the new kit (and the wife) !
Thanks! I hope to enjoy!

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
Congrats. Can't wait to see some Otis and spanish doves with the K-1. Glad you can still shoot while you wait for the new toy!
Hope I can do better,Otis is counting on it!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Lucky man, indeed! Go for the gold

Thanks Paul!

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Great News, Rupert! My K5 IIs is working fine (knock on wood), but I'll be very curious to know what you make of the K 1. Let us know on the old K5 IIs thread where we can follow Otis's adventures when the time comes.
I intend to be in the K5IIs thread no matter what, I love you guys!

Best Regards!

03-13-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Remember to include a K-S2 in the order as the K-1s lightweight companion.

Steve
03-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If I had a damaged or broken camera right now, I would consider the K1. That said, I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of what I currently have.
03-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
See if you can sneak the 150-450 and 1.4 TC in there too.
03-13-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
See if you can sneak the 150-450 and 1.4 TC in there too.
I want to see how my Bigma does first.....but the 150-450 is on my short list.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Remember to include a K-S2 in the order as the K-1s lightweight companion.
Steve, I'm hoping they can repair my K5IIs.....I love it dearly.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
If I had a damaged or broken camera right now, I would consider the K1. That said, I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of what I currently have.
I hear you Reef....buying out of a disaster is not the way we want to go...but it happened.

Want to hear something funny?

At lunch today Mrs Rupert asked if getting a Pro camera would make me a Pro?...and will it help you to stop getting those shots where the subject is clear and the background is all foggy?

She is not much or a photography person, but I love her anyhow!
03-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have in your hands a credit card with zero balance. Well,there are a number of us lusting for a new F-1 Do I need to say more?

Enjoy your new camera and get the beloved K-5iis repaired. You will have the best of both worlds. Happy things are working out for you. Furthermore, the 105mm is a great lens. This unfortunate 'accident' might actually help you get back into the deep dark macro world.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 03-13-2016 at 02:36 PM.
03-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to see how my Bigma does first.....but the 150-450 is on my short list.

Steve, I'm hoping they can repair my K5IIs.....I love it dearly.

I hear you Reef....buying out of a disaster is not the way we want to go...but it happened.

Want to hear something funny?

At lunch today Mrs Rupert asked if getting a Pro camera would make me a Pro?...and will it help you to stop getting those shots where the subject is clear and the background is all foggy?

She is not much or a photography person, but I love her anyhow!

You damn well better love her! She's a keeper for sure, not that I have to tell you that. Sorry about the K-5 IIs but congrats on the K-1
03-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dropped my K5II on holiday in China, afterwards it would not communicate with the lens, but I could shoot manual as you describe. The repair was to reseat a connector that was partially dislodged....so may be a simple thing....hopefully.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-13-2016 at 02:46 PM.
03-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

will it help you to stop getting those shots where the subject is clear and the background is all foggy?
Thanks for brining a smile to my face first thing in the morning

Repair/upgrade seems like a win/win. Exciting times in House Rupert.