Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 extended warranty?

So, every time I've purchased a Pentax DSLR I've bought the $20 two year extended warranty. So, I'm wondering if the same warranty is offered for the K-1. Does anyone know? I see different options now that are a lot more expensive, and neither one explicitly mentions the K-1....

For DSLRs under $1000 -
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

For advanced DSLRs over $1000 -
Pentax Extended Warranty for Advanced ADVWARRANTY-ADVILC B&H

Does the K-1 come with a longer warranty than one year, since it's more of a "professional" camera?

Thanks.

03-14-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is the warranty you'll want:

The $20 warranty is gone, and seems to have been replaced by an equivalent priced at $50. You can of course also opt for a third-party warranty (i.e. square trade) that covers drops and spills.

The warranty period for the K-1 is the same as for other Pentax cameras: 1 year in the US and Australia, and 2 years in Canada, Europe, and most other countries. Many credit cards have a benefit that extends the manufacturer's warranty coverage by an additional year (all my Visa Signature cards do), so you may already be getting 2 years for free.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Has anyone tried the Mack extended warrantees? (I know Adorama used to sell them)
03-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam. Ouch, that's quite a difference in price. What used to be a no brainer is a brainer now. lol I think I will just have to depend on my credit card's extra year warranty benefit and hope that whatever might go wrong does it in the first two years. I'll look into that a bit further. Of course, you would not get the free inspection benefit you get with the Pentax two year extended warranty.

03-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
So, every time I've purchased a Pentax DSLR I've bought the $20 two year extended warranty. So, I'm wondering if the same warranty is offered for the K-1. Does anyone know? I see different options now that are a lot more expensive, and neither one explicitly mentions the K-1....

For DSLRs under $1000 -
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

For advanced DSLRs over $1000 -

Does the K-1 come with a longer warranty than one year, since it's more of a "professional" camera?

Thanks.
On next summer trip go to Italy and by from FOWA , the italian importer. They offer 4 year warranty !!
03-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you, Adam. Ouch, that's quite a difference in price. What used to be a no brainer is a brainer now. lol I think I will just have to depend on my credit card's extra year warranty benefit and hope that whatever might go wrong does it in the first two years. I'll look into that a bit further. Of course, you would not get the free inspection benefit you get with the Pentax two year extended warranty.
The $20 was almost too good to be true. It's good it lasted for as long as it did! $110 isn't a bad deal either, for the K-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The spills and drops might be advantageous for guys like me.

Been very careful all these years....just once I wasn't.

Regards!
03-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

For what it's worth, I purchased 8 of those $20.00 warranties for all 8 of the Pentax bodies I have purchased in the last few years, and have never used the warranties, not even for the free tune-up/inspection
.................the peace of mind was worth it, though. And, regarding Mack warranties, I purchased a 5 year warranty for an expensive Sony bridge camera whose sensor failed a couple of months before the 5 year warranty was up. I called for the return authorization, sent the camera in, and Mack installed a new sensor under warranty and returned to me. The warranty paid off, and Mack un-flinchingly delivered great customer service.

03-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
For what it's worth, I purchased 8 of those $20.00 warranties for all 8 of the Pentax bodies I have purchased in the last few years, and have never used the warranties, not even for the free tune-up/inspection
.................the peace of mind was worth it, though. And, regarding Mack warranties, I purchased a 5 year warranty for an expensive Sony bridge camera whose sensor failed a couple of months before the 5 year warranty was up. I called for the return authorization, sent the camera in, and Mack installed a new sensor under warranty and returned to me. The warranty paid off, and Mack un-flinchingly delivered great customer service.
Thanks for letting me know. I bought the 5-year cover for my K-5.
03-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Has anyone tried the Mack extended warrantees? (I know Adorama used to sell them)
i did with my K-5 when the lens release button came off. i shipped it and had it back in less than two weeks from when i initially dropped it at the UPS store so i was pretty satisfied.
03-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
i did with my K-5 when the lens release button came off. i shipped it and had it back in less than two weeks from when i initially dropped it at the UPS store so i was pretty satisfied.
Good to hear!