Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I shoot 1 x 1 quite often, especially for calendar work. The format when printed framed is also quite nice.

---------- Post added 03-14-2016 at 02:36 PM ----------

Adam is the crop frame in the viewfinder etched into the screen or is it an electronic image? Just thinking that if it is electronic, then it and other crops could be added in firmware

03-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's been explain many times by now, their no frame on the viewfinder. This mean you will have no idea what will fit in the 1:1
Also, most of us have eyes don't we =)...

I agree that it may be hard to know the exact edges unless the apc-frame-edge or some other OV element happens to coincide with the 1:1-edge, but even if not, one would probably know it approximately like "a little bit to the side of the rule-of-3rds-line or so...but even without that there could be benefits to "blind" 1:1 shooting if framing in a "conservative"-way:

- Some APC-lenses fill 1:1 frame (while not ff) (and for some the vignette could tell you where the edge is)
- Smaller images ->
-- Possible to have a faster burst rate
-- More images fit in buffer
-- Faster in-camera processing for hdr etc.
-- More room in sd card
-- Faster computer upload
-- Use less space in computer and allow faster processing there as well
- Some people like 1:1 =) (and won't have to crop manually in pp or if using jpeg)

..so I'd say there are quite a few potential advantages. Not for everyone, and not for every case or lens, but there certainly are a number of use-cases, that some, at least I, could live with doing "blind".
03-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's been explain many times by now, their no frame on the viewfinder. This mean you will have no idea what will fit in the 1:1
When I shoot 1 x 1 with my K5 and my K3II I shoot the subject in portrait mode with room above and below, the sides take care of themselves. Works well for cropping 1 x 1 in Lightroom.
03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Both Ricoh and Adam have said many times now 1:1 Crop is not an option in the final FW.

Your phone is the ultimate Instagram camera. Maybe a K-S2 by Wi-Fi. Not a valid use case for the K-1.
Using a K1 as an instagram camera would be like buying a bulldozer to use for driving kids to school.

OP, I have seen other videos with 1:1 crop shown. As others have pointed out, the 1:1 crop is in older firmware...

03-14-2016, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many people mentioning the K-1, 1:1 crop mode and instagram. The problem with this idea is as follows...

1. 1:1 crop mode can be used for things other than instagram. As mentioned in this thread, the K-5 has a 1:1 crop mode, which predates instagram. The K-01 also has a 1:1 crop mode.

2. A few months back instagram stopped requiring 1:1 images. The idea that instagram = 1:1 in 2016 is passé.

Personally I don't use instagram but I do have a K-01 and like having the option of shooting 1:1. I know I'm not the only one. Considering most ILCs don't allow 1:1 shooting (to my knowledge), it is an easily included selling point.

If Ricoh's reason for ditching the 1:1 crop is lack of continuity between liveview and viewfinder, than the reason is silly. There are already features in liveview not available in the viewfinder (focus peaking, highlight alert, CDAF, histogram, etc).
03-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
When I shoot 1 x 1 with my K5 and my K3II I shoot the subject in portrait mode with room above and below, the sides take care of themselves. Works well for cropping 1 x 1 in Lightroom.
This is indeed a very good approach to shooting 1x1. Also, this allows opting for a 1x1 crop nearer to the top of the vertical frame, as an alternative to using a shift lens for architecture.

Still exactly judging the the edges that are missing indication in the VF can be tricky. Esp if you're a fan of strict framing (like me), going by a perceived 1x1 sometimes leads to a composition that is too narrow or wide compared to the intended composition (the lines in the scene can trick the mind into misjudging in both directions). Also, the VF doesn't cover 100%, it's only approximately 100%... Shooting with some margin can help, but still... I sometimes have to resort to subtly using the Aspect slider in Lightroom's Lens corrections to make the scene fit the 1x1 crop as intended. For me this only happens when I am stitching images, since I have a KatzEye focusing screen with 1x1 crop lines installed in my K-3II (I've had this since my K20D). I don't really care about the image coming out of the camera being uncropped 3x2. I would, however, sorely miss the 1x1 crop lines in my viewfinder. One of the reasons I will probably stick to my K-3II...

Wim
03-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The viewfinder LCD most likely has predefined shapes like the top LCD or the LCDs commonly found on digital watches. Even if the option is in firmware if there is no predefined shape on the VF LCD it isn't going to do much good.

You have to provide electrical traces for each shape or segment on the LCD screen. And you have to have corresponding traces on the control board. With printed circuit boards there is a saturation point on the number of traces you can have.
And since the grid overlay and the APS-C rectangle intersects each other I guess they are using two LCD displays on top of each other.

So the AF indicators, center circle and APS-C frame is probably on one layer (and they could have added two lines for 1:1 crop on that same layer). And the grid is on a separate layer.

Wasn’t there someone on this forum that claimed that they had seen this 1:1 guide lines in the viewfinder? I know I read it somewhere.
03-15-2016, 03:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It's a shame that there is no guide in the viewfinder for a 1:1 crop, however as several people have said this doesn't necessarily make framing impossible.

Pentax had filed a patent, years ago now I think, for an EL colour display superimposed over an OVF. This would have been an excellent use for such a flexible display. No idea how it might have affected the brightness though.

I've forgotten, but does the K1 have interchangeable focus screens? If so then Pentax could always design a simple one with 1:1 crop lines on it for people who really want one.

03-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Not offering 1:1 crop is a missed opportunity (even if only in Live View). It doesn't make sense to me why Ricoh would not include a 1:1 crop guide in the view finder and 1:1 crop feature - how difficult could that be? And it would make the K-1 an even better camera.
03-15-2016, 04:01 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I've forgotten, but does the K1 have interchangeable focus screens?
I'm pretty sure we've been told several times that the screens should be regarded as fixed and not interchangeable. Those who wanted to put a split prism screen in are bitterly disappointed.
03-15-2016, 04:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm pretty sure we've been told several times that the screens should be regarded as fixed and not interchangeable. Those who wanted to put a split prism screen in are bitterly disappointed.
Ah OK. That is indeed disappointing. Seems like something of a retrograde step. I assume it's some technical limitation imposed by the LCD overlays or something. I would very much hope that it was a cost saving measure.
03-15-2016, 04:31 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I assume it's some technical limitation imposed by the LCD overlays or something.
That would seem to be the case, yes. I think they did their best to bring this camera in under certain size and financial limits, which is why we didn't get a restored aperture arm or interchangeable VF's or TTL. To be fair to the engineering team, split prism viewfinders retroactively installed in DSLRs have been known to play havoc with AF and metering, and I don't think they wanted to give themselves potential hassles with trying to sort that one out. Most interchangeable screens for film-era applications had to do with photomicrography, macro, composition gridlines, etc., and we now have the composition gridlines while professional photomicrography is these days almost exclusively the premise of dedicated microscope-mounted imaging systems, slide scanners and the like, while a large viewfinder that you don't have to squint through currently goes by the name of "live view".