03-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video Showing K-1 1x1 Crop Mode

I haven't seen this video referred to as yet on the Forums, but this link
shows the 1x1 crop mode in live view. Starts around the 44 second mark

03-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

cool found. the question is: is it 0.38 still? Or an advanced version.
I don't really need 1:1 but it hurts nobody and it should be not more than 2-3 hours of work to implement this in an existing Firmware
03-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Great, if in the final firmware this makes the ultimate Instagram camera.
03-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Both Ricoh and Adam have said many times now 1:1 Crop is not an option in the final FW.

Your phone is the ultimate Instagram camera. Maybe a K-S2 by Wi-Fi. Not a valid use case for the K-1.

03-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I get why this might not be a choice on the quick dial (since there aren't crop guidelines like there are for APS-C) but to not have this option in liveview would be baffling. Its not like its taking up tons of firmware memory space to implement. It would be like 4 lines of code. I really hope its included in the final FW.
03-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My K-5 offers in-camera crop at 1:1 (among other ratios), and I would be surprised if the K-1 didn't have the same option. The only catch is you have to apply it to the taken image rather than at shutter-press time.
03-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use square format all that much, but It would be nice to see a few common crops included like 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 2:1 as well as 1:1. Ideally, I'd like to see them displayed in the viewfinder, in both full frame and APS-C.

I grew up as a slide shooter, you see. I was so used to composing in the viewfinder that I find it hard to break the habit, even years into the digital age. I tend to pay attention to the longest edge of the frame, and if my subject fits, I press the shutter button, but often I find that I've left my self no room in the short dimension to crop to a different aspect ratio later. For instance if I shoot a person head to toe at the camera's native 3:2 aspect ratio, but then I want to turn the shot into an 8X10 print (5:4 aspect ratio), I can't because in order to make a skinny rectangle into a fat rectangle, I have to chop off the long end.

It would be most helpful to be able to see the final composition in the viewfinder, even if only as a guide and the image actually gets recorded at 3:2 anyway. But if the camera could record the file as 4:3, or 1:1, even better. Not only would that allow smaller files, faster write times, and greater buffer depth, but it also opens some new possibilities for DA lenses. A lens that might not fill a 36mmx24mm (3:2) frame, might fill a 28mmx28mm (1:1) frame. It would be a shame if they went through all the trouble to include a transparent LCD, and a crop mode dial, but then failed to take full advantage of it's potential.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 03-14-2016 at 02:00 PM.
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax could offer any crop mode they like but how versatile is the lcd on the ovf.? Can any sort of lines be projected ( is it a matrix) or only predefined shapes. When it is a matrix you might be able to ad more modes to the crop switch (but you do not want 12 crop options on there, it would take to long to search through. Instagram now offers different crop modes btw.
03-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax could offer any crop mode they like but how versatile is the lcd on the ovf.? Can any sort of lines be projected ( is it a matrix) or only predefined shapes. When it is a matrix you might be able to ad more modes to the crop switch (but you do not want 12 crop options on there, it would take to long to search through. Instagram now offers different crop modes btw.
The viewfinder only has a frame for a 1.5x crop area. That's probably why they took out 1:1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a link to Adam's brief 'Viewfinder Tour' article drawn from the pre-production unit he used at WPPI. Between that and the additional interviews and other articles linked below the Viewfinder write up it should become clear what is included and what isn't.
03-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

The viewfinder LCD most likely has predefined shapes like the top LCD or the LCDs commonly found on digital watches. Even if the option is in firmware if there is no predefined shape on the VF LCD it isn't going to do much good.

You have to provide electrical traces for each shape or segment on the LCD screen. And you have to have corresponding traces on the control board. With printed circuit boards there is a saturation point on the number of traces you can have.
03-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

1:1 crop would be doable using the aps-c frame it would be roughly as wide + the space under it and above
03-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Why would they remove it?

Didn't see the other messages. Still not convinced they should remove it though.
03-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's been explain many times by now, their no frame on the viewfinder. This mean you will have no idea what will fit in the 1:1
03-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's been explain many times by now, their no frame on the viewfinder. This mean you will have no idea what will fit in the 1:1
But at least one person expressed interest in it in the context of liveview. Having the option to crop to alternate sizes during capture via the liveview interface seems like a good compromise. It could even be implemented so that you use the liveview first, setup the shot and then switch to optical but retain the crop.

Future firmware releases could add things like this perhaps.