Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

First lens for my first FF camera, on a somewhat "tight" budget.

Hello there! I just pre-ordered the Pentax K1, i have never been so hyped about getting a camera, like this time!

Ive been a dedicated hobby/enthusiast photographer for around 10 years, but have been without a camera the last year (1 1/2). I shoot "everything". I put it like that, because i dont like to limit myself. If im watching some live
happening/sports, ofc im gonna shoot it. If im in the forest hunting, ofc my camera is with me. If im on a relaxing holiday at the cabin, ofc my camera is with me. If im at the beach flyfishing ofc the camera is with me!

I know the K1 won't be the "best" sports-shooter, i know the K1 isnt launched with a bunch of lenses in different price ranges, i know the K1 doesnt have video (i know it has 1080p 30 frames, but that is so old and outdated it qualifies as no video in my book). BUT, ive weighted up what's important for me, and that is IQ, resolution, i love zooming in admire details etc. The part about shooting i love the most, is landscape, architecture, portraits, sunsets, horizons, some macro and just being creative and create something beautiful. And for this, the Pentax K1 seems like the ULTIMATE camera for me, atleast with its starting price.

So heres my "dilemma" or question. I'm on a tight budget and been saving for some time for a new camera. And even still I'm somewhat over my budget ordering the k1 body. But i have no glass. And i prolly cant afford more than this ONE starter lens for atleast the first 5-6 months, so im thinking about getting the new 28 105 3.5 5.6 since the samples ive seen looks rather good. But i know there are some sigma alternatives aswell. So my question is;

What should i do with glass? What can keep me happy and "work" for me, the first months with this camera. The fa43 ltd is rather expensive at my local dealer. And lastly i AM AFRAID that the future of this ecosystem wont provide much more good new glass for ff at consumer level, with lower pricing. Since i have nothing to start with.

So what do you think, what should i pick up as my very first lens, and are u guys sure Pentax/ricoh will make sure to push out more options in glass in diff price ranges after a while?

Cheers from Norway

03-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Well, I am more of a prime shooter myself, so a fastish normal would be 95% of what I would need, not sure about you.... The new DFA kit zoom looks quite good but is likely the same price as a used FA43 (~$450) or more which would be perfect imo. In that same price range used would be the DA*55 f1.4, by all accounts a great lens, and corrected for FF. Cheaper alternatives could be the DA35 2.4 or DA50 1.8 etc. Maybe an older Tamron 28-70 2.8...
03-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Well, I am more of a prime shooter myself, so a fastish normal would be 95% of what I would need, not sure about you.... The new DFA kit zoom looks quite good but is likely the same price as a used FA43 (~$450) or more which would be perfect imo. In that same price range used would be the DA*55 f1.4, by all accounts a great lens, and corrected for FF. Cheaper alternatives could be the DA35 2.4 or DA50 1.8 etc. Maybe an older Tamron 28-70 2.8...
ive gotten a deal for the 28 105 here in Norway for around 700$ (6000 norwegian kroner). The fa43 is nowhere to be found used, and is sold at the cheapest dealer for 1050$ (ca 9000 norwegian kroner) :/ So its actually quite more expensive for me, choosing a prime. And the used market here in Norway is very small.. Ordering from abroad is terrible aswell, cause of all the taxes into this country
03-15-2016, 02:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
But yeah, i forgot to mention i have looked at the Sigma 28 70 2.8 for pentax aswell.. Anyone tried this one? Its on sale here aswell, just the same price as im getting the 28 105 for.

03-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
24-70 ofc*
03-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Normally with a tight budget i would suggest to wait a bit until we know how the different DA lenses perform on the K-1, but with your preorder out, it is a bit harder. The new kit zoom seems to be good performer and it is WR that might be of importance.
With you saying you shoot everything only one prime might be to restrictive. I would start with an all purpose zoom and get might prefered primes one at a time. (after checking the testing of all the DA Primes. A lot seem to work fine with FA on paper)
I think more information for the new FA primes will be shown at Photokina in September.
03-15-2016, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for the 28-105 WR for couple of reasons

- You say that you have no other lenses and you shoot "everything", then one prime will not suffice
- In order for the camera to be weather resistant you need a WR lens
- You are on a tite budget

Judging from the sample shots it certainly looks like the 28-105 will be a more than decent versatile zoom. Don't rush into new glass.
I certainly plan to buy the 28-105 with the K-1

03-15-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're on a tight budget I would suggest you stick with APS-C and buy better glass.
03-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you're on a tight budget I would suggest you stick with APS-C and buy better glass.
i Mean right away though, i cannot afford any more glass atleast the first 5-6 months after the release, but after that im ready to invest in good glass. Maybe not the holy trinity price range, but good glass.
03-15-2016, 02:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would help if you mentioned what you already have.
Anyway, the DFA28-105 looks to be excellent. See HERE
03-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

You could also buy some legacy glass. Some cheap FA zoom and, say, the A 50mm f1.7 or f2. Just so that you can start with something, and then you can invest in higher quality lenses.
03-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It would help if you mentioned what you already have.
Anyway, the DFA28-105 looks to be excellent. See HERE
I thought i did? As of now i have nothing, i have had several aps-c dslr's during the last 10 years, but have sold everything and been saving for a new FF and investing into a new ecosystem the last year, year and a half.
03-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd suggest buying a legacy FA or F zoom and the 50mm macro.

The macro will give you a very sharp prime that is also, well, a macro, while the zoom will give you versatility.

After you shoot for a while, you'll figure out what you need on the K1 and can probably sell the zoom to upgrade to the perfect (and more expensive) lens.

I'd bet you will want to keep the macro...

-Eric
03-15-2016, 03:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm with those who suggest the 28-105 D-FA, which unofficially seems to be getting called a "K-1 kit lens". Sounds like it will do most things reasonably well while you save up for the high-class stuff and it will give you weather resistance to match the body, something an F/FA zoom won't do.

Something else to consider, once the immediate financial shock is over, might be an FA 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 if you want to do low light work. I had thought the incredibly cheap but outstandingly good DA50 was good for full frame (I've had tolerable results on film), but some people with more exacting standards are reporting slight vignetting.
03-15-2016, 03:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
What i thought was getting the 28 105, wich on samples looks REALLY good in my eyes. And yes im NOT a professional, but it really looks good in my book. Have this as my only ond one workhorse for the first months while i shoot around and learning my new camera, before then check if there are new primes on its way, or if not, i WILL be getting the 43 FA ltd. Those 2 lenses + maybe the 50mm macro (yes i thought about that one aswell since i love doing macro every now and then) , will do about everything for me, pretty damn good. Ofc i would want to maybe sell the 28 105 after a while,but the price jump up to the 24-70 is prettysignificant.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 04:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by laTimo Quote
What i thought was getting the 28 105, wich on samples looks REALLY good in my eyes. And yes im NOT a professional, but it really looks good in my book. Have this as my only ond one workhorse for the first months while i shoot around and learning my new camera, before then check if there are new primes on its way, or if not, i WILL be getting the 43 FA ltd. Those 2 lenses + maybe the 50mm macro (yes i thought about that one aswell since i love doing macro every now and then) , will do about everything for me, pretty damn good. Ofc i would want to maybe sell the 28 105 after a while,but the price jump up to the 24-70 is prettysignificant.
and a wider lens ofc. and+++ ofc.. oh, this is going to be expensive