Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 05:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by laTimo Quote
And i prolly cant afford more than this ONE starter lens for atleast the first 5-6 months, so im thinking about getting the new 28 105 3.5 5.6 since the samples ive seen looks rather good.
Sounds good. Or get a Samyang 14mm, DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 50mm f1.8 and DFA 100mm WR (or an older 100mm macro), so you get a couple primes with high optical quality and great low light performance. Really depends what you are planning on shooting, though. If you don't need UWA, then don't get the Samyang. If you don't need telephoto and macro, don't bother with the DFA 100mm.
Or you can get a FA 35-70mm macro: SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The Pentax A 35-105mm f3.5 is really popular as well, if you don't mind lack of AF.

But as stated earlier, the kit lens is often the best bang for buck to start with, especially if you can get it bundled with the camera (often this means it gets an extra low price, depends on country/seller). And the 28-105mm seems like it has good IQ, as well. Especially if you want full automation. The good thing about Pentax is that you can get a bunch of old, used lenses for really low prices. But often they come with compromises, such as lack of AF. Older zoom lenses tend to not be as good as modern zoom lenses, as well; which is why its usually better to go with older primes (good primes can still compete with modern glass). Lots of people on this forum use really old lenses to take great photos.

Also, feel free to use this tool: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
You can select Full Frame as well as In and Out of production, and so on. Its a good tool with quick links to user reviews. But I think its only for Pentax glass. And I don't know much about Tamron, Sigma lenses, so I can't help you with that. I think they both have some superzooms and standard zooms, as well. Maybe this will help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/
I see Tamron has a 28-75mm lens for a good price: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-af-xr-di-ld-macro-sp.html

03-15-2016, 05:13 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Sounds good. Or get a Samyang 14mm, DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 50mm f1.8 and DFA 100mm WR (or an older 100mm macro), so you get a couple primes with high optical quality and great low light performance. Really depends what you are planning on shooting, though. If you don't need UWA, then don't get the Samyang. If you don't need telephoto and macro, don't bother with the DFA 100mm.
Or you can get a FA 35-70mm macro: SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The Pentax A 35-105mm f3.5 is really popular as well, if you don't mind lack of AF.

But as stated earlier, the kit lens is often the best bang for buck to start with, especially if you can get it bundled with the camera (often this means it gets an extra low price, depends on country/seller). And the 28-105mm seems like it has good IQ, as well. Especially if you want full automation. The good thing about Pentax is that you can get a bunch of old, used lenses for really low prices. But often they come with compromises, such as lack of AF. Older zoom lenses tend to not be as good as modern zoom lenses, as well; which is why its usually better to go with older primes (good primes can still compete with modern glass). Lots of people on this forum use really old lenses to take great photos.

Also, feel free to use this tool: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
You can select Full Frame as well as In and Out of production, and so on. Its a good tool with quick links to user reviews. But I think its only for Pentax glass. And I don't know much about Tamron, Sigma lenses, so I can't help you with that. I think they both have some superzooms and standard zooms, as well. Maybe this will help: Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
I see Tamron has a 28-75mm lens for a good price: Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 AF XR Di LD Macro SP Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
i will get a samyang 14 for landscape eventually, + 43 ltd and maybe the 50 macro. thats what i initially thought about. But i was/is stilluncertain about the value and quality of my first lens, the 28 105.. Will i regret it, so to speak. But i think not. I want to have a WR lens, since im a sportsfisher and lives near the coast aswell, so because of my active lifestyle a nice WR lens is a must for me. But to start with, how will the 28 105 lens do with landscape/architecture and general walkaround? At portraits my guess is that it will do just fine. Not spectacular, but ok enough.
03-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm gonna see what I already have does before I buy anything new for the K1. I may already be just fine, and if not, I will then know exactly what I need.

Some lenses you already have may surprise you, they may do a lot better than you expect? I have some lenses that go back to the DS and they work better by far on my K5IIs, so it is not set in stone that lenses "get worse".

Being a zoom lover, if you get a zoom, get a good one. The DA* 50-135 was my favorite in my little studio. The new 70-200 looks great for FF. They seem expensive but cover a wide range and can replace a lot of primes and give near similar IQ for shooters that are not as particular as some.

Most of my shots end up posted online.....and I am not aiming to be a Pro....so I have to consider cost vs result and try to be logical in my purchases. Actually......logical would not be the K1 for my needs...but sometimes you have to throw away logic and have a little fun!

Regards!
03-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

well, if you don't have a lot of Pentax glass, and if you decided to go FF, why not look at other systems (CaNikon) as well?
As in your place they might have more used lenses to choose from.

03-15-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
well, if you don't have a lot of Pentax glass, and if you decided to go FF, why not look at other systems (CaNikon) as well?
well ive considered the d750 aswell, but theres just something about the pentax.. With my intended use, the ruggedness, WR, GPS, MP, in body stabilization, and the dynamic res shot it just rubs me the right way! I can still cancel my preorder for the k1, i just wanted to do it early anyways. But dont you guys believe that Ricoh is gonna make the most out of this, and produce more glass very soon, to feed both old and new pentaxians?

Btw, how is the Sigma lenses on this one? the 24-70, the art lenses etc.. wouldnt they be a good choice?
03-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laTimo Quote
i will get a samyang 14 for landscape eventually, + 43 ltd and maybe the 50 macro. thats what i initially thought about. But i was/is stilluncertain about the value and quality of my first lens, the 28 105.. Will i regret it, so to speak. But i think not. I want to have a WR lens, since im a sportsfisher and lives near the coast aswell, so because of my active lifestyle a nice WR lens is a must for me. But to start with, how will the 28 105 lens do with landscape/architecture and general walkaround? At portraits my guess is that it will do just fine. Not spectacular, but ok enough.
Based on what you said regarding WR, the D FA 28-105 is THE option for you. (At least to start.) After a while when you want more lenses you'll know more of what you need. If you shoot a lot in low light, you might end up with the 24-70 f/2.8, but that's not WR. Even if you do buy better lenses in the future, you'll probably want to hang onto the D FA 28-105 for it's ruggedness and WR to use as a foul weather all around lens so you don't ruin any of your fancier gear.

I shoot APS-C, but it's the same story for me. I started with a DA 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 WR which filled most of my needs quite well. For low light and faster aperture I now have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, DA 50-200 WR, and a few primes. The 17-50 stays on my camera the most and I use the 50-200 when I need more reach, but if I am going anywhere damp or dirty (rain, beach, camping, etc) I stick with the 18-135 since it can stand up to the elements. Even on vacations I'd rather have one good all around lens than have to switch lenses back and forth and carry extra gear all the time. Even just this morning on my way into work I put the 18-135 on so I could take some shots in a foggy mist without worrying about moisture. The 18-135 would still be my first choice if I could only have one lens ever.

WR is one of Pentax's greatest advantages, so to not have a WR lens would be almost sacrilegious!

Another small note, the D FA 28-105 will have almost silent focusing while screw driven lenses make more noise. If you do much shooting in quiet places where noise would be a distraction you would be better off using manual focus or a lens with built in DC, SDM, or HSM focusing. (Because of this I also use my 18-135 for quiet ceremonies such as weddings, school shows, etc. where I don't want dirty looks when I auto focus. )
03-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #22
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA28~70mm f/4?

A lens that is likely $50~$75 used, and is very good--really exceptional if you close down 1.5 stop. Some batches (I have heard here on PF) suffer from element separation so be aware of this/check it.

03-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Seems to me the best thing to get would be a M 50 f1.7. Back in the old days of film, Pentax sold zillions of Full Frame M series cameras with this excellent lens attached. Because there are so many of them still kicking around, they are dirt cheap. The new Pentax full frame will have a lovely big bright viewfinder, so manual focusing should be a breeze.

We are conditioned to equate price and value. Cheap = nasty. But these old nifty fifties are the exception to this rule. They are inexpensive only because they are so common. Optically and mechanically they are excellent lenses, with a very useful angle of view.

Another good choice would be the K series 55mm 1.8.
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The DFA 100 macro should be stunning on the K-1, and even better, considering the price. f/2.8, WR, macro, fabulous IQ.
03-15-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Seems to me the best thing to get would be a M 50 f1.7. Back in the old days of film, Pentax sold zillions of Full Frame M series cameras with this excellent lens attached. Because there are so many of them still kicking around, they are dirt cheap. The new Pentax full frame will have a lovely big bright viewfinder, so manual focusing should be a breeze.

We are conditioned to equate price and value. Cheap = nasty. But these old nifty fifties are the exception to this rule. They are inexpensive only because they are so common. Optically and mechanically they are excellent lenses, with a very useful angle of view.

Another good choice would be the K series 55mm 1.8.
I would happily use my old A 50 f/1.7 on a K-1, especially since my shooting style fits in with the old "Weegee" Fellig model - I spend most of my time in the aperture range where DOF is nice and fat, so 'nailing" focus is less of an issue {and, despite its being a "kit" lens, it is clearly the sharpest lens I own}

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 09:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Maybe yes, maybe no. Remember that Canon changed their mount twenty years ago, and a majority of their digital cameras were sold with a mount inconsistent with FF, so there can be only so many orphaned lenses of a useful mount worth having out there.
03-16-2016, 04:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Remember that Canon changed their mount twenty years ago, and a majority of their digital cameras were sold with a mount inconsistent with FF,
NIkon have less of a problem in that regard, but even so there are interesting wrinkles as regard which cameras will support which functions. Green Button and stop-down are minor annoyances, but at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that given the appropriate adapter(s)*, all Asahi/Pentax lenses will mount and function one way or another and all will be stabilised on modern Pentax DSLR bodies, and the behaviour is consistent across camera bodies.

* Adapters plural because of the very early, pre-M42 lenses in the Takumar lineup.
03-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Having shot the Tamron 28-75 on FF (Canon), I can report that it is a solid lens in all ways, very good throughout the range from f/4 upwards, and rather mediocre wide open - especially on the wide end. Overall, I feel it is a better FF lens than its crop sensor performance would indicate. I doubt that the comparable Sigma lenses are quite as good, based on the QC issues, lack of current availability and ratings.

I have no idea how the Tamron compares to the Pentax 28-105, and we won't know until after the camera has been out for a few weeks. I suspect they will be pretty close in IQ overall, and the choice will be between speed/constant aperture vs. range/WR and a slight weight advantage (Pentax is lighter). The Pentax 28-70 f/4 is a fun little lens that is great for walkaround purposes, but I think it will be marginal on the K-1 for general needs as a standard zoom workhorse.

Personally, I would never buy a lens designated as DA or crop before seeing tests with the lens on a K-1. None of these lenses have been tested on a FF sensor with active SR. I suspect that even some FF lenses that performed well on film will come up a bit short on the K-1.
03-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Get the 28-105 and a DA 50 1.8. That's a great starter kit that covers you for just about every situation in beginner glass. If you have money left over, a DA 35 2.4 would also be a good addition.

If people want to suggest spending a lot of money, anyone can make a more comprehensive list that those, if people want to make suggestions for lenses that don't use the full capacity of the camera, like the AF system, anyone can make a lot of those too.

But basic get up and running for as little money as possible, I'd say those three lenses will get you going, make full use of the capability of your camera, and provide you with great AF and IQ.

If you're really really tight for budget, there are lots of old FA kit lenses you might be able to find for really cheap. Any F series or FA series kit like my FA 35-80 which I found for $50 but others have found for as cheap as $25, but the DA 50 1.8 is almost as cheap.

Last edited by normhead; 03-16-2016 at 09:48 AM.
03-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to using my A 20 f/2.8, A 50 f/1.7, A 35-105 f/3.5, and A 70-210 f/4 Macro. You may be able to find three or perhaps all four of those within your budget. Maybe with next year's tax return I'll think about the 15-30 or 24-70..
03-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I suspect that even some FF lenses that performed well on film will come up a bit short on the K-1.
In what context - bench tests, or real-world results?