Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
You triggered a interesting realization though, that there are probably still plenty of average consumers out there still falling for the m-pickle race... They will just compare specs among available brands without knowing much of anything and buy this camera simply based on the most mpickles for the price, considering it most bangpickle for their buck.. And it even has a tilty screen! SOLD!
And if they did just that, they would have made a great choice.

03-18-2016, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And if they did just that, they would have made a great choice.
It is possible to make the right choice for the wrong reason(s). And while that's good for the person who made it, it's only good for the moment - it doesn't help at all with subsequent decisions. You need to know WHY you're doing what you're doing.

For example, I have the K-1 in mind as the replacement for my K-5 when it stops working, because I will NEED a new digital camera at that point and why not take the opportunity to go full-frame (I have so many film-era lenses I wouldn't need to buy a D-FA to go with it). So there is no doubt that the K-1 is in my future. The critical do I/don't I decision for me is, "Does the feature set coupled with the in-the-field performance justify an earlier purchase at the asking price?"

And so far it's looking VERY good, BUT until a whole bunch of us here get a hold of the production model and collectively start reporting on all of its features in multiple contexts of use, that question won't be answered in full and I won't be buying early.
03-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You need to know WHY you're doing what you're doing.
How about "because I want", valid reason?
03-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #64
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Yep!!! I want it...yep - I am decidedly an amateur. Will I use it to its absolute capability in every way? No. Will it push me? Yep!

Will I have FUN? YES YES YES YES!!! Oh YES! Especially with my three amigos.

I'll have to wait a little while to get it as I didn't jump in early on the pre-order, and it looks like there'll be a long queue for second round purchasers.

Meanwhile I'll get my pleasure vicariously as others explore and enjoy and post their experiences and their pics.
I think this post nails my feeling and timing. There's an element of joy in just the using a camera that transcends the excitement seeing the final image. That's why I have so much gear of so many different kinds.

There is certainly a limit to how much an enthusiast / hobbyist can actually use unless he's fully retired. I'm probably there, but I want the K-1 anyway. It has a K-mount and a FF sensor, which answers the question. The other benefits and features just silence the angel on my other shoulder. I will buy it this summer, then the 70~200 and 24~70 down the road.

With the FA Limiteds and a couple ultra- wide and telephoto 'A' primes I would be covered for everything I want to do. So the film cameras and MF lenses will really be just for fun. The honest question is , "What will I do with my K-3 if the secondary market value is $350?"

Last edited by monochrome; 03-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.
03-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"What will I do with my K-3 if the secondary market value is $350?"
Not worth selling, just give it to me
03-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #66
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not worth selling, just give it to me
Or I could get a Wimberley, 1.4x and DA*300
03-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or I could get a Wimberley, 1.4x and DA*300
Oh and give those to me as well
03-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Oh, most definitely. The decision is easy for Pentaxians because they have to think only (1) I want a full-frame DSLR, (2) I don't want to switch systems for whatever reason (I like Pentax, I have too much invested in glass, etc.), (3) There is only one game in town and that's the K-1. Others coming into full frame (or DSLR photography full-stop) have a wider range of choices and a much more complex decision making process ahead of them.

03-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Or, "I don't know why I want it but I do."
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #70
Site Supporter

I would love to want it but can't afford it !
How's that?
03-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #71
Pentaxian

My english is not so good, that I could make a good explanation on, why.

so

yes.
alhought almost any other option would be the same(4/3, aps-c, ff, 645...) even if you are advanced amateur(from where) is it really what you need. Well you have one way to find out. I have bought my ticket for FF already. Don't have to worry about if you'll gain anything, for sure you will. worst thing would be that you'll have a piece of gear in yur hand that you can't really find any use of. Like bread baker.
03-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or, "I don't know why I want it but I do."
At the end of the day it's your money.

I wouldn't spend $1800 US on that basis, but then I'm the sort who wants to be able to put up at least a token objective justification... even if it's after the fact. For example, I can defend my acquisition of the DA15 and the DA70 - I had plans for both of those when I bought them. The DA21 not so much - I sort of got that to complete the set - but the number of pics I took with it on my last trip, the fun I had taking them, and the fact that for a lot of them the DA15 was way too wide and the DA40 was just too narrow, have made me feel a lot better about spending the money on that particular item.

But the K-1 is in a different class of moolah; I'm going to watch how that one works out in the field before I consider anything other than an upon-the-death-of-K5 purchase.
03-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
I can look at a whole bunch of photos taken with Pentax cameras and if I
don't know what model that was used I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was
which. Some of the best Pentax photos I seen were taken with the original
ISTD.
You know...I was looking at some of my old photos the other day and was surprised that I have a lot of good ones that were taken with an *ist DS2 (what kind of name was that?)

Anyway my newest one is the K-3. I am looking forward to the reviews of the K-1 and will be looking for what people have to say about how the old "A Lenses" do on the K-1.
03-18-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taz840209 Quote
what people have to say about how the old "A Lenses" do on the K-1
I'm waiting for a A 135mm to turn up for just that reason
03-19-2016, 12:36 AM - 3 Likes   #75

What I need is food, shelter and social relations that makes me human. The rest is for joy and fun.
And since I can afford it, it's more fun to have the best versus the very good.

Kjell