Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
my 10 fa.fa*.f* lenses needing it!!
Exactly!
After printing gorgeous 1meter wide photos from my K-5 I decided I just don't need a better camera.
But my lenses won't agree. I hear them whispering from the closet "Put us on a full-frame body" and I have to obey.

03-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lets put this another way. Lets say you take your last 100 keeper photos you took with either your K3 or K5. Do you think
if you took the same photos with the new K1 you could tell the difference? Would they look better?
03-17-2016, 05:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

All amateurs used to shoot with full frame cameras. Why not to do the same now?
I need it because I want it.
03-17-2016, 05:38 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Watched this fascinating doco the other night.
thanks for the link - really enjoyed that

03-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

In my mind a FF can even be a bit of a liability. When I see someone's equipment, I judge his or her results by these standards. When I see someone turning great images out of an entry-level APS-C with a kit lens, then I am really impressed. Conversely, when I see someone running around with an FF camera and pricey f/2.8 zooms, and their results are rather mediocre, then I cannot help but pity them a bit.
03-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to add a few more things to the list. Better auto focus and I am hoping that the viewfinder rocks when manually focusing my older lenses.
03-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
In my mind a FF can even be a bit of a liability. When I see someone's equipment, I judge his or her results by these standards. When I see someone turning great images out of an entry-level APS-C with a kit lens, then I am really impressed. Conversely, when I see someone running around with an FF camera and pricey f/2.8 zooms, and their results are rather mediocre, then I cannot help but pity them a bit.
Why is that?

Some, like myself, are hobbyists. Most of my images are "meh", with an occasional decent shot or three.

I enjoy the activity of photography. I don't shoot because I think I'm a pro, or to impress people. I shoot because it is one of the few activities I can still enjoy, and it helps with stress reduction and relaxation.

I use what equipment I can afford that meets my physical requirements first, and my "wants" second. Instead of spending lots of money on expensive watches, or cars, or a collection of guitars I cannot play... I spend money on camera gear.

And I know I am not the only one out there in this category.

Life is too short. Get enjoyment when and where you can.

03-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Is the K1 really for the average amateur photographer?
If I ever meet one I'll ask them
03-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #39
Pentaxian

As for the question "Is the K1 really for the average amateur photographer?"

Why not?

If you are a pro, buy whatever gear is necessary to meet your client's expectations.

If you are an amateur or hobbyist, buy whatever gear meets your needs/ wants/ desires and whatever budgetary restraints are in your comfort zone.
03-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
I can look at a whole bunch of photos taken with Pentax cameras and if I
don't know what model that was used I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was
which. Some of the best Pentax photos I seen were taken with the original
ISTD.
The K-7, K-5, K-3, K-1 line all have way more features than the average amateur photographer will ever need. If you are not pushing the limits of what you have, then you really don't need a any of those cameras.
03-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly, what the heck is "the average amateur photographer". Is there an Average Amateur Photographer Society, and do they elect a spokesperson?

What kind of person would answer this thread? Someone who is so terminally average that he feels the need to speak for average amateur photographers every where?

If you answered this question seriously, I'm talking to you.

Honestly, what qualification does anyone have to speak for this imaginary person.?

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I enjoy the activity of photography. I don't shoot because I think I'm a pro, or to impress people. I shoot because it is one of the few activities I can still enjoy, and it helps with stress reduction and relaxation.
This might be a mis-representation of the actual emotion being felt. I think some who consider themselves to be hot shots look at the expensive gear and feel envy. Most of the guys I see in the park with the huge lenses carrying $20,000 worth of equipment are not famous photographers. They are people who have the money to buy expensive stuff.

From my brief time with the Huntsville Photography club, the first thing I noticed, the men and women posting great pictures on a regular basis, we're not the ones with the big gear or expensive systems. I know it drives people crazy when I say, you don't have to buy that stuff. If you can afford to carry around $20,000 of camera gear, it means you've been financially successful, but in no way does it mean they are successful photographers. The last one I had a good conversation with works for the company that makes the coatings for the new hip I'm waiting for.

Those guys are out there with smiles on their faces, having conversations with their friends on the level of any fishing I've ever done. Participating in an activity you could call, "walking around with cameras." Sometimes I see guys with these huge lenses and their best friend has a Canon Ti something with a consumer zoom on it. It's not about the gear, it's about hanging out with your friends and doing something you all like.

There's nothing to feel sorry for there at all. Now that I'be been here 5 years, I see the same groups over an over, I realize, for them it's about going great places together, and having a focussed activity to engage in in a beautiful place. These guys have something special.

My old baseball team used to go to 3 or 4 tournament a year together. It was the same kind of thing. Some of us went with $400 bats, some of us went with $50 bats. It was the drinking in the bar after the games that made it special. And no one cared what bat anyone else was using. Although I remember a guy looking at one of my bats saying.. "I don't know how you hit home runs with that old thing." "Dude, did you not just see that ball clear the fence by 30 feet?" It's not just camera snobs that think you have to spend a lot of money to hit one out of the park.

When I hit one out it's one run. When he hits one out it's one run. There's' no bonus points added for using an expensive bat.

Last edited by normhead; 03-17-2016 at 08:01 AM.
03-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #42

Ha ha ha. Me I have a fantastic bike, 1200 and lots of horsepower, everything on it, just top quality and goes like a rocket! Could I beat, or even get near, the guys in the top circus on track ? Hell no ! Iīm a pretty mediocre rider. Are there people in the bike community pitying me for that ? Would I by a mediocre bike to sort of fit in where I belong? Hell no. I love the feeling of the engine purr and the power when I pull the throttle! No one has ever told me Iīm not supposed to have it and ride it the best I can. Itīs a process of creativity and learning. Same with a camera. My choise. My learning curve. If it makes me feel good well, than itīs up to me. You may think and express what you want about my pics, but your pity you can keep. I donīt think anyone wants it! And thatīs my opinion mr (not so ) fantastic fox...
By the way, I think the camera producers are really grateful that there are "average" photographers, and lots of them, out there.(and so am I, being one and all) I suppose a camera like K1 must sell in big numbers considering the costs of developing etc. No way they could cover that if the camera was only meant for the professionals and the likes. Compare the more advanced middle formats and the pricing of them. Not really made for the average shooter are they? (but if I could afford one..jummy jummy)

Last edited by rednax; 03-17-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: adding
03-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I would, just send me the ticket. But be warned before you agree, I haven't flown cattle class for the last 10 years, at least.
Well, the intent was for people to be so in awe they paid for their own ticket..........................
Lets put this another way. Lets say you take your last 100 keeper photos you took with either your K3 or K5. Do you think if you took the same photos with the new K1 you could tell the difference? Would they look better?
100 keepers? Good grief I only have 27 keepers total........... Hoping the K-1 will get me up to at least 50.
In my mind a FF can even be a bit of a liability.
Good point. I struggled going to the K-3 from k-5IIs, I had gotten a little sloppy with that camera as it was very forgiving. The K-3, a bit like a fast car, wakes you up and makes you pay attention to what you are doing. Otherwise the results can be bad. I suspect the K-1 is going to be like that as well. In order to get results as good as the K-3 the user is going to have to up their game, or at least pay attention to the details.
03-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
This very average photographer can't wait for them to be available. Like Rondec said, I want it, and I can afford it. Life's too short
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Add me to the chorus of average photographers, who happen to be amateurs, who can barely bear the wait for this camera.
I don't understand why people make a big deal about who "needs" a K-1 or if it is too much camera. Do people on car fora say the same thing about sports cars? Usually it is just assumed that you aren't necessarily buying a car based on need, but more based on what you can afford. While cameras can be used as a tool, I would guess the majority are used on an amateur basis.
03-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Some, like myself, are hobbyists. Most of my images are "meh", with an occasional decent shot or three.
I wasn't really thinking of advanced amateurs, rather people who really have little clue, like a Chinese tourist I saw in Namibia who sported a Nikon D810 and 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, but grabbed his DSLR like a compact camera, with his fingers on either side of the body. "All the gear and no idea."