Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not too long ago we had that fuji guy telling us in his viral that FF is a silly upgrade because it's not much more than crop, and we should be going MF if we really want more... So we 'averagers' shouldn't think it's a big deal to go FF based on the flip side of that logic.

It's already been said here, the fact that full frame was the norm for the average averagers before digital, so we're really just getting back to where we started, except maybe the price curve is different than in the film only days...

We have the good fortune that RP knew they had to price this camera within the reach of some averagers, which they did perfectly imo. RP sure thinks it's for us too and I agree. It's a good day to be average.

03-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #47

Finally, finally, to shoot all that old Pentax prime glass at the focal lengths they were intended for! Much as I appreciated their optical qualities I had come to really hate using my beloved FA Limiteds and other primes cropped. After years of whingeing about this and finally scoffing at the ever receding timetable for a FF body, I would have felt compelled to buy one when it finally came out, even if just matched Canon and Nikon standards. But all the reviews seem to confirm that the K-1's price/performance ratio has exceeded all expectations. Beyond just being just the "me too" full frame camera some of us diehards and faithless whingers would have bought anyway, out of love or out of embarrassment for our collection of old Pentax glass, the K-1 is extraordinary value. I am looking forward to getting mine.
03-17-2016, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m0n0 Quote
I would have felt compelled to buy one when it finally came out, even if just matched Canon and Nikon standards. But all the reviews seem to confirm that the K-1's price/performance ratio has exceeded all expectations.
It certainly does exceed the competition in the same price point:

K-1: 36MP
D610: 24MP
6D: 20MP

K-1: IBIS
D610: none
6D: none

K-1: AF points: 33
D610: 39
6D: 11

K-1: Display screen: 3.2" tilting
D610: 3.2" fixed
6D: 3" fixed

K-1: Max ISO 204,800
D610: 6,400
6D: 25,600

K-1: Max shutter: 1/8000"
D610: 1/4000"
6D: 1/4000"

K-1: Operational down to: 14F
D610: 32F
6D: 32F

Yes, Canon and Nikon can match specs with the K-1, but not at the same price point. Kudos to Pentax for the effort and execution.
03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #49
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the BMW M3 really for the average amateur motorist?

Sorry, not meaning to make fun of you, but I think the answer would be the same...

03-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Sorry, not meaning to make fun of you, but I think the answer would be the same...
No, the M3 is for guys who try to compensate for something else.
Now, stop talking about bee em trouble you's and get back to the K-1!
03-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nope, it's for people who want full frame That's certainly not the average person.
I'm not sure - I think there would be people who would buy the K-1 even if it were APS-C. Granted it probably would not have cost quite as much, but there would definitely be takers. There's more to this camera than just the sensor size.
03-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm not sure - I think there would be people who would buy the K-1 even if it were APS-C. Granted it probably would not have cost quite as much, but there would definitely be takers. There's more to this camera than just the sensor size.
There certainly is much more to it, but IMO if it were not a full frame, it wouldn't have gotten half the attention it's currently getting. Kind of like a beautifully restored vintage car without an engine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm not sure - I think there would be people who would buy the K-1 even if it were APS-C.
I am confident there will be people who buy the K-1 and have no idea it is FF not APS-C, or what the heck FF & APS-C even means.
03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am confident there will be people who buy the K-1 and have no idea it is FF not APS-C, or what the heck FF & APS-C even means.
Without google, how many reading this post knows what the acronym for APS-C means, the size of the sensor, and aspect ratio?
03-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Without google, how many reading this post knows what the acronym for APS-C means, the size of the sensor, and aspect ratio?
I got two out of three......................
03-17-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would think most here would certainly know these things but maybe I'm wrong... Edit: oh I bet you're meaning that actual APSC dimensions.. Yeah don't have that memorized..

You triggered a interesting realization though, that there are probably still plenty of average consumers out there still falling for the m-pickle race... They will just compare specs among available brands without knowing much of anything and buy this camera simply based on the most mpickles for the price, considering it most bangpickle for their buck.. And it even has a tilty screen! SOLD!

Last edited by todd; 03-17-2016 at 03:41 PM.
03-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

The answer absolutely wouldn't be the same.
I'd rather not give a rear wheel drive beast to an average amateur motorist, especially if it's got a shiny button to switch all driving aids off.. (I know there are many about, and many drive like nutters too.)

I do have the belief that if you buy quality equipment you have the possibility of learning faster.
When picking up a new hobby I've mostly bought equipment that wasn't really aimed at the beginner but rather at advanced users. But I usually progress very fast and then suddenly hit a barrier at a spot that's slightly above average (with physical hobbies that is).

So I do think that getting good equipment can help you and quite surely won't pose a barrier for you where a beginners model would.

Enough rambling; yes, The K-1 totally also is for the beginner, in my book.
03-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amateur = not using the camera to make a living. It does not necessarily = lack of knowledge, experience or creativity. Most musicians are not professional players, yet they too can appreciate the special tone and resonance that a fine musical instrument can produce. Will there be a lot of inexperienced amateurs who buy the K-1? Possibly. Their inexperience does not necessarily = a lack of creativity (worthiness). There is no time limit in which one must learn everything there is to know about photography to enjoy one's equipment. I seem to recall a forum member who used only one of his lenses for all of his photographs for a month at a time. It is a wonderful way to learn the special qualities of a given lens. I am looking forward to the rest of my life to explore the lenses I have been blessed enough to be able to afford. I look forward to doing so with the K-1. I will do so for the same reason I drive a roadster. Life is too short to worry about what others think I "should" be driving, taking pictures with, etc.
03-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #59
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
The answer absolutely wouldn't be the same.
I'd rather not give a rear wheel drive beast to an average amateur motorist, especially if it's got a shiny button to switch all driving aids off..
You are right, or course. The "Kewan" poses no physical danger to anyone. Well, beyond being a lump of titanium

Still, the answer will be: if you want it and can afford it, it is for you.
03-18-2016, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consulted my local Jedi Master. Obiwan confirmed that a Kewan is in my future. I was very pleased.