Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #76

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have retired. I have ample time on my hands. I can easily afford one. My passion is more towards landscapes and small birds with a few portraits every now and then. This will give me a reason to expand my lens collection. And the number one reason.....................My wife said I could.

03-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JENSEN7474 Quote
It was love at first site! Then I started to read all the hands on reviews followed by videos! Then my eyes glazed over and I preordered the K1 and the 15-30 and what the hell, throw in the battery grip. Do I need it? Hell no! Do I want it, oh yeah! An amateur can have just as much fun as a pro.
More Fun, less Pressure!
03-19-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
I can look at a whole bunch of photos taken with Pentax cameras and if I
don't know what model that was used I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was
which. Some of the best Pentax photos I seen were taken with the original
ISTD.
I don't need it, but I want it...just because. I hate shooting randomly and must have a purpose to shoot which is why all my camera's low shutter counts.

The K-1 may may to wait a bit longer as I've gotten the cycling bug again and plan to spend more than double on a titanium Litespeed T3/T5 with disc brakes and Di2 shifting.

Last edited by tabl10s; 03-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
03-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote

The K-1 may may to wait a bit longer as I've gotten the cycling bug again and plan to spend more than double on a titanium Litespeed T3/T5 with disc brakes and Di2 shifting.
Hydraulic, I hope, Tabl ... nice setup! ☺

03-19-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #80

Hell yes! I have waited so long for this camera, i would buy one even if i had given up photography!

Amateur photogs these days have access to the same tools as the pros and (some) get comparable tesults.

Of course it is for us.
03-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #81
Veteran Member

"average" keeps changing as the standard raises. It may be hard (or impossible) to find a digital camera that only produces average picture quality of 1950s.
03-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
I can look at a whole bunch of photos taken with Pentax cameras and if I
don't know what model that was used I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was
which. Some of the best Pentax photos I seen were taken with the original
ISTD.
It doesn't matter if the medium is over kill or not as long as the person enjoys using said tool. If I want to play with a film medium format camera will it be used to its potential? Nope not even close but I'll certainly find it a learning experience and fun to use.

03-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #83
edo
Forum Member

I just stop using Pentax after investing quite a bit in m43 system with all I need for my hobbyists photography. UWA, ultra fast portrait, fast normal etc etc.. You name it, m43 is the bomb!

But... I never sold all my A lens, I actually bought some just after the FF announcement.

So for me the real reason I think is that crop was never satisfyingly fulfill my list for a film replacement.

Now that FF is here, we pentaxian who are by nature against Canikon, we are finally at peace and will buy the K1 so we can shoot and die happily!
03-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Justified, because K-1 suddenly makes me better photograper? Ticked
Justified, because I've out grown K-3? Ticked
Justified, because I'm less than an average amateur? Ticked
Justified, because I have few FF lenses? Ticked
Justified, because my wife thinks I'm waisting money? Ticked

In more serious level; I think an amateur can justify more easily new camera or lens than a pro, as the income is not related with the gear. This is ofcourse while family income permits the purchase without risking monetary balance (at least in long term).
03-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I have had many Pentax models. Currently my K-30 is for backup and my K-3 for everyday shooting and them some. I do switch between both. The K-1 is for me as I do lots of indoor shooting in low and all kinds of lighting because of our grand girls. I will use both. I have waited for the FF Pentax because I like the way it feels in my hand and have been happy with all of my units, even when I have had problems.
05-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the Canikon world aren't FFs about 5% of DSLR sales?
Pentax won't be any different.
05-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the Canikon world aren't FFs about 5% of DSLR sales?
I think you are very wrong.
K-1 will be at least 15% of Pentax DSLR sale and those figures will be mostly dependent on production volume.
I beleive in that because average Pentax user know what is he buying and is very different than average Canikon user, because Pentax cameras are not selling at supermarkets, because Pentax users have just a few clearly separate camera choices, and off course because of the K-1's price/performance ratio.

p.s. There are no reasons for real Pentaxian not to buy K-1 except two temporary problems a) I don't have money now and b) my wife gonna kill me this time.
05-28-2016, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Conversely, when I see someone running around with an FF camera and pricey f/2.8 zooms, and their results are rather mediocre, then I cannot help but pity them a bit.
Well, there you go again Mr Fox......not missing an opportunity to slam old Rupert! You should be ashamed! You know I am old, may have decreased mental abilities, and two broken feet...but you do it anyhow......that's criminal!

It's not about the gear, it's about hanging out with your friends and doing something you all like.
You hit on a real truth there Norm. It is about your friends and the fellowship with others of similar interests. We get so involved here at PF that we may not even realize that is why most of us are here. No...it's not all about the gear, it's about that togetherness, that friendship.

If it wasn't for PF and all my friends here, I might not even own a camera, and certainly not a K1...heck I wouldn't even know about it!

But....since I do have a K1 and I am an amateur, at best, here are my amateur thoughts on the K1 after two weeks.

*It is very capable, more than any Pentax I have ever owned...by far.
*ISO and SR improvements are amazing and may benefit an amateur as much as a Pro.
*The AF is far ahead of my previous Pentax flagship cameras....far ahead!
*My keeper rate is very greatly improved.
*My frustration level has declined to almost unnoticeable.
*Fun and joy has returned to my ordinary shooting, which had been in a slump for a while.
*If I wanted to be a Pro...in my dreams...I know I have the camera I would want most to work for me.

Yes, I still shoot the same old birds and squirrels. The difference in my shots now and before the K1 are negligible in many respects, but the ease in shooting them has increased beyond my wildest expectations.

Do I need a K1...do you? Probably not, but if you want to grab some fun and joy, at a price not much different than what you paid for the K5 new, then this camera may be the best bargain you have ever been offered by Pentax.

Don't get bogged down in the technical aspects, the pros and cons of FF, just think of the joy and fun factor you can appreciate as an amateur.

Here is what I mean....what is different.....what is thrilling to me...

On a dark and dreary a day I look out and see a nice pose....my K5IIs + Bigma is on my desk and ready, but I know I will be shooting well above ISO 1600, which experience has taught me is about the limit for most bird shots in poor light. On top of that, the big ol' slow Bigma 50-500 will hunt like an old blind hound trying to get a focus lock. By the time it locks on...if it does at all...that birdie will be long gone. So you put down your camera and grab your coffee cup...and wait for better light...and hope it comes. It would have been a decent shot......frustration again.

Same dark dreary day, same bird (or his sister?) shows up in the same spot. Now you have the K1....hey, why not give it a try?
That old slow Bigma is now faster than a Jackrabbit on the K1 and locks focus instantly...no hunting, no delay. But will it turn out half decent?

1/100 handheld (fantastic SR!) f7.1 ISO 10000 @ 50mm

So...does it change my life or change the world? Nope, but it sure decreases my frustration....and I drink less coffee!

That is my amateur perspective on the K1. Your view may vary, but the facts I have given won't. This is not your old Pentax.....I guarantee!

Best Regards!
Rupert
05-28-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
In more serious level; I think an amateur can justify more easily new camera or lens than a pro, as the income is not related with the gear.
This is an interesting point and I think you're onto something! A professional asks: will this equipment help my business in some way? Will it expand my capabilities so I can take new clients? Will it allow me to deliver a higher quality product? Will anyone care if the product is 'higher quality' in my opinion or are people overwhelmingly satisfied with what they are getting now? Will it cut down my processing time so I can either take more clients or just have more free time in general?

Only the last question is relevant to amateurs. Really, the question is only one: will this help me enjoy photography in some way more than before?
05-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, for Canikon, FF is a small percentage of DSLR sales, but I do believe Pentax is different. The volume of legacy FF lenses is one reason the K-1 is a big deal, and their price point will make a difference as well. I also believe that a majority of Canikon FF users are pros, but I believe a majority of Pentax FF users will be enthusiasts.

Most pros need or want a network to easily rent, repair, and to get sponsorship. These are not Pentax strengths, so only a few pros who may be looking for a second system may go this direction with the K-1. Iʻm certainly not an expert in demographics, but Pentax users are a different breed in many respects than Canikon loyalists. I consider myself an independent and vote for the camera, not the party, and thus use two systems.

It would be interesting to see factual data on all this, if it exists.

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote

In more serious level; I think an amateur can justify more easily new camera or lens than a pro, as the income is not related with the gear.
Are we talking brand new or newly acquired used equipment? As a pro, it was easier for me to justify brand new equipment because:

a) warranty
b) less likely to fail on assignment
c) income tax benefits
d) client perception using the newest technology

As a non-pro, these things are less important in making the decision.