Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
to the OP: I don't know why people do this, but I sure wish that Pentax marketing would do this. It would make for great marketing videos.

03-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
to the OP: I don't know why people do this, but I sure wish that Pentax marketing would do this. It would make for great marketing videos.
It is not what weather sealing is made for, and it is not covered by warranty. By actively promoting this sort of use Pentax would make themselves vulnerable to lawsuits. Even if it is explicitly excluded from warranty cover, people who ruined their camera that way could convincingly argue that the company lead them to believe it was made to withstand mud being rubbed into it, and directed jets of water being projected at it.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 03-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.
03-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, but Pentax marketing could do it surreptitiously.
03-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Okay, but Pentax marketing could do it surreptitiously.
Pentax marketing could generally place more emphasis on its DSLRs being rugged and the perfect companion on outdoor pursuit, be it in the tropical rainforest, the arctic, the desert or the mountains. They did this video in 2013 but never followed it up with similar stuff:

03-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are people with more money than brains. Or, are in fact smarter and have a way to ensure hits on their sensationalist videos somehow turns into money.

Same mentality as people who buy brand new phones and tablets and then drop them to show off what happens to the new 'unbreakable glass'.

Either way it seems a total waste of carefully manufactured products.
03-24-2016, 04:01 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Same mentality as people who buy brand new phones and tablets and then drop them to show off what happens to the new 'unbreakable glass'.
Perhaps you should be thankful that there are people willing to spend their money to independently test manufacturers' claims, though I must admit a gradual approach with at least "Mythbusters" levels of scientific rigidity would be helpful in this regard.

Of course for most smartphones, a drop from the user's head height or being swept off the edge of a coffee table onto the sidewalk IS the most severe test it should reasonably have to pass. Dropping it from the top of a high-rise apartment building only confirms the obvious.
03-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I would never do that to a camera. Unbelievable.
03-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great! If I get a K-1, I can also use it as a dibber!

03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 is going to be a game changer for pro worm photographers....
03-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It is not what weather sealing is made for, and it is not covered by warranty. By actively promoting this sort of use Pentax would make themselves vulnerable to lawsuits. Even if it is explicitly excluded from warranty cover, people who ruined their camera that way could convincingly argue that the company lead them to believe it was made to withstand mud being rubbed into it, and directed jets of water being projected at it.
By the way, you might want to check out Ricoh Imaging's Facebook site. You'll want to warn them about the vulnerability to lawsuits....
03-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #41
Pentaxian

By the way, you might want to check out Ricoh Imaging's Facebook site. You'll want to warn them about the vulnerability to lawsuits....
They only shared the link and even added "PLEASE don't try at home ..." Textbook example of trying to get the message across without actually making any claims themselves
03-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They only shared the link and even added "PLEASE don't try at home ..." Textbook example of trying to get the message across without actually making any claims themselves
Which is what I'd like them to do. I realize it's a fine line, though.