Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
deconvolution,
thanks for the info. My editor of choice Rawtherapee has this tool but I hadn't ever figured out a use for it, despite reading some info about it. I will keep it in mind for the future...

03-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you very much for this. I had not heard of deconvolution and will have to experiment with this approach in Lightroom. I really appreciate you sharing this!

Happy to share info, give it a try and see if you like it. I should add, these small apertures where diffraction sets in also cause a dulling of the contrast, but anywhere from 10 to 20 points of Clarity in Lightroom brings back the microcontrast nicely.

Cheers,
Ross

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
thanks for the info. My editor of choice Rawtherapee has this tool but I hadn't ever figured out a use for it, despite reading some info about it. I will keep it in mind for the future...
Good to know, I've hear good things about that converter.

Cheers,
Ross
03-22-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
Good to know, I've hear good things about that converter
I just tested this (deconvolution) out in Rawtherapee with an F22 image and wow! very nice result!

Left/first image is 100% crop from center of image with no deconvolution, Right/second image is with deconvolution:

Left/first is full image downsized to 900px height, with no deconvolution, Right/second is with deconvolution (and same processing for both images otherwise):

Settings used for Deconvolution:

Then realized I could push it a lot more...

With these settings:

Without/With deconvolution

With:

(K5 + DA15 from 2012 in Oregon)

Last edited by todd; 03-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
03-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Don't forget that the K-1 and K-3II both have diffraction correction settings, just like they have marginal luminance compensation.
Do the diffraction settings change raw files as well as jpg's? I looked back at some landscape pictures I took awhile ago with an FA 31mm lens and figured out why they were not as sharp as I thought they should be. Somehow I'd bumped the aperture up to F18! Too much for a crop sensor, evidently.

03-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #20
Forum Member

I just tested this (deconvolution) out in Rawtherapee with an F22 image and wow! very nice result!
That's a worthwhile improvement. I'm curious how Lightroom would compare.

Ross
03-23-2016, 02:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
Do the diffraction settings change raw files as well as jpg's? I looked back at some landscape pictures I took awhile ago with an FA 31mm lens and figured out why they were not as sharp as I thought they should be. Somehow I'd bumped the aperture up to F18! Too much for a crop sensor, evidently.
I develop in DCU5, and the RAW files retain the camera setting. As well as this, DCU5 also allows you to manually switch the effect on or off.
03-23-2016, 03:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Weren’t there supposed to be some kind of anti-diffraction function in the K1? I believe I read something to that affect, but I guess that applies to jpeg only.
03-23-2016, 04:36 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Weren’t there supposed to be some kind of anti-diffraction function in the K1? I believe I read something to that affect, but I guess that applies to jpeg only.
If the k1 Diffraction correction is anything like the K3ii's, then it only works for selected recent Pentax lenses. Ie not 3rd party lenses or older ones etc.

03-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I feel like you should shoot at the f stop you want to fulfill your artistic vision for the shot. Sometimes having a greater DOF is way more important than maximum sharpness. I've gotten some great shots on my k3 at f16, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not use the higher apertures as needed.
03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Does deconvolution come with Rawtherapee, or is it an additional plugin?
03-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does deconvolution come with Rawtherapee, or is it an additional plugin?
iIt's at the top of the Details tab (second tab). The more I've been playing with it, the more it's becoming a regular part of my workflow... I can see improvements even at my web sized comparisons, even on F11 shots...

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=Sharpening

Select it from the drop down menu (it defaults to USM)
03-26-2016, 04:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Sorry to swoop in without reading the whole story but this is really impressive. I am using Lightroom 6... is there any deconvolution available there? I haven't found it. Maybe it's kinda hidden somewhere? Thanks in advanced.
03-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Sorry to swoop in without reading the whole story but this is really impressive. I am using Lightroom 6... is there any deconvolution available there? I haven't found it. Maybe it's kinda hidden somewhere? Thanks in advanced.
Moving the Detail slider above 50 starts deconvolution sharpening.
03-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Moving the Detail slider above 50 starts deconvolution sharpening.
Grazie mille!!! So basically Lightroom makes this with the sharpening above 50 automatically. Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing
03-26-2016, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

I understand that a full frame sensor will result in less DoF than I'm used to with my various APS-C bodies. So, I imagine for landscapes I might have to shoot at f/11 rather than f/8. In some cases, I might even need to go to f/16. So, does the full frame sensor change anything when it comes to lens diffraction? Usually, in most cases I would not use f/16 for fear of diffraction making the photo less sharp, so this is a little bit of a concern. Thanks for any input!
Basically you'll get the same diffraction on FF but one stop more closed down than on APSC... And to get the same deph of field, you'll have to close down one stop more. Conclusion: Diffraction will not have more effect than on your APSC body.

As for printing, the 16-24MP of an APSC body are more than enough to print 30x40" with great quality and that likely bigger than what most people are ever going to print anyway. You'd see a small difference difference if you print 30x40" AND you stare at the small details from near distance. Because well 24MP at 30x40" is "only" 150dpi while 36MP would be 183dpi... The difference not that big.

As a point of comparison, a full HD 24" computer screen is 91dpi while a 15" full HD laptop screen is 150dpi. Imagine this level of detail over 40"... That's what a K3 give printed.

The thing is other aspects will affect your pictures much more than diffraction. Camera shake, blur from movement, high iso settings, focus a bit off, insufficiant shutter speed... Ligting condition and flare. All theses things will have several order of magnitude more impact on the technical aspects of
your picture than the diffraction if you keep it safe no more than f/11 on APSC and no more than f/16 on FF.

And of course actual light quality, subject interrest and composition still matter infinitely more than the technique as long as it is good enough. That's actually what make a great photographer for me: hability to make interesting picture in all kind of conditions... Make hugly people look nice, old people look less old, make an un-interresting place shine...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-26-2016 at 12:35 PM.