Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shifts' Impact on the K1 Shutter Release life-span

I currently own a Pentax K3II body. I shoot lots of pixel shifted (PS) images - that's why I bought the K3II.

Each pixel shifted image is a combination of 4 separate shots taken in quick succession. The K3II body has a 200,000 shutter release life-span. If I were to always shoot in the PS mode, I assume that the shutter would likely wear out at 50,000 PS photos (200,000 divided by 4).

I don't know what the shutter life-span is on the K1, but let's assume it's also 200,000.

For what I shoot, I expect that nearly all of my K1 shots will be in the PS shift mode (especially if the new PS can take photos of slightly moving subjects).

So, does that mean that I can expect only about 50,000 PS photos out of my future K1 body?

03-22-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn't the K-1 use an electronic shutter in pixel shift?
03-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good point ffking.

But what's the shutter life of the "electronic shutter" then?
03-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't electronic shutter just electronic reads of the sensor without any mechanical action taking place? So isn't e-shutter life functionally infinite?

03-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Monochrome, wow, if that's the case, then if one only shoots the K1 in PS mode, the shutter's life is "forever"!

So then the "weak link" in the PS system must be the mechanical mechanism that moves the sensor. I wonder what the life expectancy of that mechanism is?
03-22-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's correct, the physical shutter only opens and closes once. Also, the K-1's shutter is rated for 300,000 actuations.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

The specifications indeed say electronic shutter for pixel shift. The K-1 is also rated at 300.000 actuations. Not 200.000.

03-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I wonder what the life expectancy of that mechanism is?
If you do a Bayesian analysis of your camera, there is a possibility, however small, that any component of your camera could fail at any time. My advice is to take pictures as if your camera could vaporize the next time you turn it on. Certainly don't put it into storage to make it last longer.
03-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monochrome, wow, if that's the case, then if one only shoots the K1 in PS mode, the shutter's life is "forever"!

So then the "weak link" in the PS system must be the mechanical mechanism that moves the sensor. I wonder what the life expectancy of that mechanism is?
Not forever - just the same as taking a normal single shot. It still actuates the shutter ones per Adam's post.
03-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what the shutter life-span is on the K1, but let's assume it's also 200,000.
If quantity (as opposed to quality) is your thing, use the video mode at 60 FPS you can get more quantity of shots out of your K-1 without wearing out the shutter mechanism.
03-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I always worried about the lifespan of the shutter of my K-x back then. I thought I used it much... read it out and: 6K.
Ok, my K5 II I really used a LOT, I thought... read it out: 16k
So actually I never ever will worry about the shutter lifespan of my upcoming K-1

Anyone here who actually broke their shutter mechanism after 100k or so?
03-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But what's the shutter life of the "electronic shutter" then?
I would expect it to last as long as the image processor or whatever electronic component that gates frame capture on the sensor.

Steve
03-22-2016, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Again, not mechanical in the normal sense of the word. The sensor is suspended by a combination of permanent and electro magnets driven by integrated circuit electronics. Translation? It is not prone to mechanical wear, though failure is a possibility at any time due to variables in manufacturing inherent to all electronic devices.

The advice I would offer is that you treat your camera as a fragile optical instrument and have a backup strategy appropriate for how you use it and the risks associated with failure. As for longevity, let the tax man be your guide. Photographic equipment is treated as a "five year" expense for tax purposes, meaning that you are allowed a five year depreciation schedule as a business expense. Buy with the intent of owning for five years and purchase insurance (operating expense) to cover for failure, loss, or damage.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-22-2016 at 03:45 PM.
03-22-2016, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of points in this newsgroup post about MTBF that are worth paying attention to if you are truly interested in determining the expected life span of your camera.

"important characteristic of MTBF --it is an ensemble characteristic which applies to populations (i.e."lots") of things; not a sample characteristic which applies to one specific thing" In other words the MTBF or MTTF rating for the K-1 shutter or any other component doesn't mean your camera's shutter will last that long.

"For many systems of interest today the required failure rates are so low that the MTBF substantially exceeds the lifetime" In other words, your camera's shutter is unlikely to die before some other vital part of your camera does.

Nobody can tell you when your camera is likely to die, regardless of how long it is warrantied for or what its reliability specifications are. A guess that you make, based on your experience with other cameras from the same manufacturer, adjusted for your knowledge of improvements made to your camera that the other cameras didn't have, is statistically just as valid as what the camera manufacturer publishes, but only for your camera. It's the strange part of Bayesian analysis. Also, please remember that the greater the likelihood of failure you assign to your camera, the greater the likelihood it will actually fail.

I spent some time in owner relations for a major automobile manufacturer and five years as a warranty administrator for car dealerships; if you don't go looking for problems, whatever you purchased will work better and you will be happier.
03-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Unregistered User

If it has the electronic shutter would it not be possible to use that to increase the flash sync speed aswell?