Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote

So Im pretty sure I've seen videos of Studio shoot where photographer was displaying his pictures the the artistic director on a big screen...and he had no cables whatsoever.
I've shot tethered in a studio with a Canon ... definitely a cable setup to the computer, and then another HDMI cable to a big monitor.

12-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've shot tethered in a studio with a Canon ... definitely a cable setup to the computer, and then another HDMI cable to a big monitor.

I tried this setup with the K-1. One USB-cable to the computer running Lightroom and a HDMI cable to a monitor. The camera froze and I had to pull the battery to restart. Will not try that one again.
12-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I tried this setup with the K-1. One USB-cable to the computer running Lightroom and a HDMI cable to a monitor. The camera froze and I had to pull the battery to restart. Will not try that one again.
The HDMI cable is from the computer, Bengan!

12-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The HDMI cable is from the computer, Bengan!

Elaborate, please. I don't have a graphics card with a HDMI interface. I'm using a HDMI to DVI adapter and was under the impression that the HDMI from the camera was output. How do I setup this to input to my computer??? I'm obviously a novice when it comes to interfacing my camera with a computer (among other things).

12-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using a HDMI to DVI adapter and was under the impression that the HDMI from the camera was output.
It is output only, which is different from tethering, where the device on the other end of the cable is sending instructions like triggering the shutter, changing aperture, shutter speed, etc. back to the camera.

In regards to a comment someone else made about not wanting cables in the studio, wireless communication doesn't provide enough bandwidth to provide live view images with anything close to the camera's native resolution, without delays that make it difficult to trigger the shutter when you want. Assuming that the studio subject is not between the camera and the computer and the camera and computer are within 25 feet of each other, I really don't see why using a USB cable is such a hindrance.
12-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Elaborate, please. I don't have a graphics card with a HDMI interface. I'm using a HDMI to DVI adapter and was under the impression that the HDMI from the camera was output. How do I setup this to input to my computer??? I'm obviously a novice when it comes to interfacing my camera with a computer (among other things).
The correct way to do what you want is the following :

From your camera to the Computer -> USB cable
From Computer to Monitor -> DVI to HDMI adaptor if your monitor doesn't have a DVI Input
That will display the image from your computer in the monitor.
On your computer you must allow for a second display, probably in mirror mode for easier of use.

I hope I'm clear enough, please ask questions if needed.
12-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I hope I'm clear enough, please ask questions if needed.

You´re probably crystal but I'll take you up on that. What I tried to do (since the Lightroom plugin doesn't allow live view) was to connect the camera with USB to the computer for control and file transfer directly into Lightroom and a HDMI from the camera to a separat monitor for live view and that setup crashed. I ended up keeping the HDMI connection for live view and using a wireless trigger, saving pictures to the in-camera memory card. It works, but not as well. The live view on a large display with zoom capability was key. And, yes, I know this setup isn't tethering. Unfortunately the Lightroom plugin is at present very rudimentary. Did I miss something vital?

Yes. Realized that what you guys are talking about is showing captured pictures using a two monitor setup from the computer whereas I was into an alternative to Image transmitter 2. Some times my head is filled with brake fluid. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Bengan; 12-17-2016 at 02:03 AM.
12-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
When using image transmitter 2, is the LV image displayed the native resolution of the monitor/tablet, or the 600x400 or whatever it is of the camera display? With the K3 and the Wi-Fi card its the latter, which was really disappointing when I have full HD tablet.

I could see spending 200 if I get true HD live view images to work with.
Did this ever get answered? It's also a bit worrying that IT2 hasn't been updated to include support for MacOS Sierra.
12-17-2016, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #39
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IT2 displays live view and the captued image in 720x480. Making that larger is my primary feature request. However, in LV you can zoom in to 100%.
12-17-2016, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Did this ever get answered? It's also a bit worrying that IT2 hasn't been updated to include support for MacOS Sierra.
Works on my 2012 iMac running Sierra.

---------- Post added 2016-12-18 at 10:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
IT2 displays live view and the captued image in 720x480. Making that larger is my primary feature request. However, in LV you can zoom in to 100%.
Yes and also, when enabled focus peaking displays in the IT2 preview window!
12-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #41
Unregistered User

Just had success tethering to LR with my USB cable and getting live view with the mini HDMI output to DVI-D on a seperate monitor. Finally! Going to make shooting the likes of food photography so much easier.
12-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Just had success tethering to LR with my USB cable and getting live view with the mini HDMI output to DVI-D on a seperate monitor. Finally! Going to make shooting the likes of food photography so much easier.

That's what I tried and my K-1 froze. Did you do anything besides connecting an switching on? Any special order? Perhaps I shouldn't have given up after the freeze.
12-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Product and macro photography are great uses of what you set up, Lightsource!
12-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #44
Unregistered User

That's what I tried and my K-1 froze. Did you do anything besides connecting an switching on? Any special order? Perhaps I shouldn't have given up after the freeze.
Hi, I have no idea what order I did it in. Sorry!
11-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #45

I realize this is a year old now, but I was trying to figure out how to get tethering to work on my Macbook Pro 17", in Lightroom with the LR tether plugin (not Image Transmitter2).

Nothing I did helped: the camera would freeze with PcP on the top screen as soon as connected, until the USB was pulled, then it reverted to normal.

Long story short: needs a quality USB cable. I tried three I had before I discovered that the one that worked, while being the longest of them all at 3ft, it had the beefiest cord in terms of gauge. Worked fine after that. Now to play...