Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Unregistered User

K-1 Tethering

Anyone know with certainty what the deal is with tethering a K-1 to Lightroom and CaptureOne? Anyone know, is the wireless transfer only going to be limited to transfer to a particular "Pentax" software? Or will the wireless have broader applications? Anyone know what the deal is with cable tethering specifically?

Kindly,

Rob.

03-24-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

Wi-Fi functionality is smartphone only at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2016, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

When using image transmitter 2, is the LV image displayed the native resolution of the monitor/tablet, or the 600x400 or whatever it is of the camera display? With the K3 and the Wi-Fi card its the latter, which was really disappointing when I have full HD tablet.

I could see spending 200 if I get true HD live view images to work with.
03-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Unregistered User

Thank you. At least there is something, that's a relief. As for "smartphone only", do you know if that extends to the likes of iPads?

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

gosh i wish camrangers were made to work with pentax

03-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ipads and Android tablets are supported- basically any device that can run the Image Sync app. I'm not sure about the resolution, but that's something we plan to test.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Unregistered User

Ipads and Android tablets are supported- basically any device that can run the Image Sync app. I'm not sure about the resolution, but that's something we plan to test.
thank you
03-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Anyone know with certainty what the deal is with tethering a K-1 to Lightroom and CaptureOne? Anyone know, is the wireless transfer only going to be limited to transfer to a particular "Pentax" software? Or will the wireless have broader applications? Anyone know what the deal is with cable tethering specifically?

Kindly,

Rob.
CaptureOne will not support tethering from any Pentax/Ricoh camera because they have their own MF camera system to sell.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 06:49 ----------

Adam, is Trasmitter 2 included with K-1?

03-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Available for purchase separately (I believe it's $199 in the US, not sure about pricing in other regions).

Adam

03-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Available for purchase separately (I believe it's $199 in the US, not sure about pricing in other regions).
Thank you for confirmation of my suspicions.
03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Unregistered User

CaptureOne will not support tethering from any Pentax/Ricoh camera because they have their own MF camera system to sell.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 06:49 ----------

hmmm... yet they support canon and nikon which they don't sell. maybe there is hope.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 01:06 PM ----------

hmmm... yet they support canon and nikon which they don't sell. maybe there is hope.
oh, because pentax makes the MedF and canon and nikon don't? that would make sense
03-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 01:06 PM ----------

oh, because pentax makes the MedF and canon and nikon don't? that would make sense
Exactly. And they have exclusive contract with Sony. Sony sells to CO sensor technology, CO provides free version of CO9x for Sony cameras.
03-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that info from Phase One? Afaik they do support small- and micro formats (a.k.a. 35mm FF and smaller) from other brands but just not medium format cameras. I would be surprised if they wouldn't support the K-1 since it isn't direct competition.
03-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Is that info from Phase One? Afaik they do support small- and micro formats (a.k.a. 35mm FF and smaller) from other brands but just not medium format cameras. I would be surprised if they wouldn't support the K-1 since it isn't direct competition.
Sure, but you not counting that all Pentax cameras OS are based on the same core code, so if they will support K-1 tethering (which they won't) with little hacking and tweaking it will work with 645z which is a direct competition to their cameras.
03-27-2016, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really not keen on Phase One's attitude. I accept it's their privilege to decide what cameras they will and won't support in Capture One, but their insistence in not supporting competing medium format cameras is poor show in my view. It's worth reading this short thread on the subject.

EDIT: It's Phase One's final statement in the thread that makes me bristle just a bit:

"We have always been clear in this regard, since the very first Capture One software.

We do support a vast range of small and micro format cameras.
With medium format we only support our own "Team Phase One" * camera solutions.

We have never misled anyone in this regard.
We have never changed or revised this policy.
Nor should anyone expect it to change.

If you want to use Capture One in your medium format solution, then purchase a Phase One or Mamiya-Leaf solution.

This thread ends here."

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2016 at 04:48 AM.
03-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm really not keen on Phase One's attitude. I accept it's their privilege to decide what cameras they will and won't support in Capture One, but their insistence in not supporting competing medium format cameras is poor show in my view. It's worth reading this short thread on the subject.
Because you think that Phase One is working with their clients in B2C business model when they actually working in B2B. Exp; "survey monkey" will not support survey API for "confirmIT".