Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 124
K-1 Tethering

Anyone know with certainty what the deal is with tethering a K-1 to Lightroom and CaptureOne? Anyone know, is the wireless transfer only going to be limited to transfer to a particular "Pentax" software? Or will the wireless have broader applications? Anyone know what the deal is with cable tethering specifically?

Kindly,

Rob.

03-24-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

Wi-Fi functionality is smartphone only at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2016, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,417
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

Wi-Fi functionality is smartphone only at the moment.
When using image transmitter 2, is the LV image displayed the native resolution of the monitor/tablet, or the 600x400 or whatever it is of the camera display? With the K3 and the Wi-Fi card its the latter, which was really disappointing when I have full HD tablet.

I could see spending 200 if I get true HD live view images to work with.
03-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 124
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

Wi-Fi functionality is smartphone only at the moment.
Thank you. At least there is something, that's a relief. As for "smartphone only", do you know if that extends to the likes of iPads?

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

gosh i wish camrangers were made to work with pentax

03-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
Ipads and Android tablets are supported- basically any device that can run the Image Sync app. I'm not sure about the resolution, but that's something we plan to test.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 124
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ipads and Android tablets are supported- basically any device that can run the Image Sync app. I'm not sure about the resolution, but that's something we plan to test.
thank you
03-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Anyone know with certainty what the deal is with tethering a K-1 to Lightroom and CaptureOne? Anyone know, is the wireless transfer only going to be limited to transfer to a particular "Pentax" software? Or will the wireless have broader applications? Anyone know what the deal is with cable tethering specifically?

Kindly,

Rob.
CaptureOne will not support tethering from any Pentax/Ricoh camera because they have their own MF camera system to sell.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 06:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
USB tethering is possible via Image Transmitter 2, and a Lightroom plugin is currently in beta.

Wi-Fi functionality is smartphone only at the moment.
Adam, is Trasmitter 2 included with K-1?
03-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Adam, is Trasmitter 2 included with K-1?
Available for purchase separately (I believe it's $199 in the US, not sure about pricing in other regions).


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Available for purchase separately (I believe it's $199 in the US, not sure about pricing in other regions).
Thank you for confirmation of my suspicions.
03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 124
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
CaptureOne will not support tethering from any Pentax/Ricoh camera because they have their own MF camera system to sell.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 06:49 ----------



Adam, is Trasmitter 2 included with K-1?
hmmm... yet they support canon and nikon which they don't sell. maybe there is hope.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 01:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
hmmm... yet they support canon and nikon which they don't sell. maybe there is hope.
oh, because pentax makes the MedF and canon and nikon don't? that would make sense
03-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
hmmm... yet they support canon and nikon which they don't sell. maybe there is hope.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 01:06 PM ----------


oh, because pentax makes the MedF and canon and nikon don't? that would make sense
Exactly. And they have exclusive contract with Sony. Sony sells to CO sensor technology, CO provides free version of CO9x for Sony cameras.
03-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
sbh
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: EU
Posts: 166
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
CaptureOne will not support tethering from any Pentax/Ricoh camera because they have their own MF camera system to sell.
Is that info from Phase One? Afaik they do support small- and micro formats (a.k.a. 35mm FF and smaller) from other brands but just not medium format cameras. I would be surprised if they wouldn't support the K-1 since it isn't direct competition.
03-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Is that info from Phase One? Afaik they do support small- and micro formats (a.k.a. 35mm FF and smaller) from other brands but just not medium format cameras. I would be surprised if they wouldn't support the K-1 since it isn't direct competition.
Sure, but you not counting that all Pentax cameras OS are based on the same core code, so if they will support K-1 tethering (which they won't) with little hacking and tweaking it will work with 645z which is a direct competition to their cameras.
03-27-2016, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 5,561
I'm really not keen on Phase One's attitude. I accept it's their privilege to decide what cameras they will and won't support in Capture One, but their insistence in not supporting competing medium format cameras is poor show in my view. It's worth reading this short thread on the subject.

EDIT: It's Phase One's final statement in the thread that makes me bristle just a bit:

"We have always been clear in this regard, since the very first Capture One software.

We do support a vast range of small and micro format cameras.
With medium format we only support our own "Team Phase One" * camera solutions.

We have never misled anyone in this regard.
We have never changed or revised this policy.
Nor should anyone expect it to change.

If you want to use Capture One in your medium format solution, then purchase a Phase One or Mamiya-Leaf solution.

This thread ends here."

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2016 at 04:48 AM.
03-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm really not keen on Phase One's attitude. I accept it's their privilege to decide what cameras they will and won't support in Capture One, but their insistence in not supporting competing medium format cameras is poor show in my view. It's worth reading this short thread on the subject.
Because you think that Phase One is working with their clients in B2C business model when they actually working in B2B. Exp; "survey monkey" will not support survey API for "confirmIT".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, canon, captureone, displays, dslr, full frame, full-frame, hope, image transmitter, it2, k-1, k1, lightroom, nikon, pentax k-1, post, sell, sierra, support, transfer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3II USB tethering making progress; pktriggercord beholder3 Pentax News and Rumors 26 05-01-2016 10:01 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 16GB FLUcard for K-3 (K-S1 or 645z with firmware update) for tethering cheekygeek Sold Items 2 10-18-2015 06:53 PM
K-50 tethering whoami Visitors' Center 8 12-06-2014 12:41 AM
tethering my k-30 vcousins Pentax K-30 & K-50 14 10-25-2014 02:47 AM
K-3 Tethering with a cable. Nickrs Pentax K-3 7 09-08-2014 12:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top