Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax details the challenges in downsizing the K-1 body

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Absolutely incredible how much they went through to downsize the K-1 camera body. In summary:
  • Overhauled SR system uses redesigned coils and sensor plate optimized for efficiency to ensure it doesn't take up an excessive amount of space.
  • Mirror mechanism must be large enough to allow for a viewfinder with near-100% coverage yet fit within an extremely limited space, due to both the fixed flange back distance and space lost to the SR system (which forced the shutter to be moved towards the mount), while not colliding with the mount when flipping up and, even harder still, accommodating optics with protruding rear elements. The new mirror design actually requires less damping than the one on the K-3.
  • Viewfinder assembly needed redesigned optics to maximize brightness, avoid distortion caused by the larger finder, and deliver near-100% coverage. Changes include using an asphere in place of a condenser lens directly below the pentaprism and AR coatings on both sides of the transmissive LCD.
Your thoughts?

03-27-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of these challenges would not have been present if they had gone with a "mirrorless" full frame.

Could you image if Pentax had taken the easier route and made the K1 a mirrorless full frame. They would have been to market a year sooner, and I'm guessing the price would have been around $1,400!
03-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Most of these challenges would not have been present if they had gone with a "mirrorless" full frame.

Could you image if Pentax had taken the easier route and make the K1 a mirrorless full frame. They would have been to market a year sooner, and I'm guessing the price would have been around $1,400! Now that's what I would have wanted more the the current K1.
Stop going on about mirrorless!

If you want a mirrorless camera swear makes FF ones.
03-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you image if Pentax had taken the easier route and made the K1 a mirrorless full frame. They would have been to market a year sooner, and I'm guessing the price would have been around $1,400!
It probably would have taken significantly longer, and cost substantially more than that since Pentax has zero embedded manufacturing engineering for mirrorless.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-27-2016 at 02:49 PM.
03-27-2016, 12:59 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I considered a and decided against it. How disappointed would I be if Pentax had come out with one? Really, really disappointed.

"I won't buy one" disappointed.

Time for you mirrorless dudes to clue in. If I wanted one, I'd have one.

It is absolutely ignorant to keep thinking this would be an acceptable solution for me and many others. We are totally sick about hearing about and mirrorless. to be blunt, the concept is at least in my opinion, completely disgusting, I'm tired of hearing about it, give it a rest. Go to some Sony forum.

Everyone who wants to know about mirrorless on the forum already knows. Most of us investigated when the first of the A7 series came out.
03-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

it would be better to name it /K challenger!!!!
hard work to bring this amazing machine.
thanks Ricoh again and again!
03-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Like Sony A7 a couple of years ago ?
So serious that they are now painfully selling any of the second generation bodies... too high price levels, and almost forgetting to sort sensible lenses in the meantime.

Exactly the reason Pentax Kept K-mount... SR and the mirror : there are many lenses available.
Plus there is, and there will be for a few years to come (at least) innovations in DSLR.

03-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
My thoughts? Here they are:

No wonder they didn't decripple the mount. All is forgiven.

No, sorry, one more:

You want the aperture arm back? Be prepared to say goodbye to SR and Pixel Shift (unless you want to go to Foveon land, and that's its own debate). I would pay that price in an ultra-cut-down FF camera with absolutely no frills, but it will be a long, long time before they make such a thing.
03-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think they've done a great job pulling all of this off in the K-1. I'm sure future bodies will incorporate optimizations to further reduce size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What interests me is the reduced mirror slap. This is an issue with the K3. The necessary two part operation decreases the inertia. This is something that will be noticed only in its absence and will be a basis of recommendation. It is nice to not have to fight or work around the flaws of your hardware.

All this tech will trickle down. Lighter and more effective SR in apsc bodies, who knows what in the GR line.

Doing more with the same batteries also comes from making the circuits smaller with discrete function chips and the like.
03-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Could you image if Pentax had taken the easier route and made the K1 a mirrorless full frame.
I can imagine the complaints about the K-mount registration distance and lack of OVF. The challenges for a Pentax FF mirrorless are more
than just eliminating the mirror box.
03-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
…You want the aperture arm back? Be prepared to say goodbye to SR and Pixel Shift (unless you want to go to Foveon land, and that's its own debate). I would pay that price in an ultra-cut-down FF camera with absolutely no frills, but it will be a long, long time before they make such a thing.
Their work on the electro-magnets for the SR assembly suggests to me that Ricoh's engineers are capable of designing a small magnetic sensor for the aperture lever, which would be far less intrusive than the original potentiometer (and spring, IIRC) mechanism, considering that space in that area is the technical hurdle, and the associated circuitry could be parked elsewhere. A sound economic reason for doing it is another matter.
03-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax's pride and joy is the PentaPrism; do not expect an MILC flagship product from them unless they are forced to do so by the market {so I don't preclude their experimenting around the margins}
03-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I considered a and decided against it. How disappointed would I be if Pentax had come out with one? Really, really disappointed. "I won't buy one" disappointed. Time for you mirrorless dudes to clue in. If I wanted one, I'd have one. It is absolutely ignorant to keep thinking this would be an acceptable solution for me and many others. We are totally sick about hearing about and mirrorless. to be blunt, the concept is at least in my opinion, completely disgusting, I'm tired of hearing about it, give it a rest. Go to some Sony forum. Everyone who wants to know about mirrorless on the forum already knows. Most of us investigated when the first of the A7 series came out
Good on you Norm, I could not have said it better myself. Thanks

Cheers
03-27-2016, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Yep..... easy to imagine...... could've been the biggest mistake ever!