Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
The more I have to crop, the more the noise becomes apparent in those areas especially when I lighten the shadows in post processing.
True enough, and if you're a dedicated BIF photographer who needs all the pixels they can get, maybe APS-C (or FF with equivalent pixel density) is what you need. I guess I'm approaching things from the point of view of an enthusiast with general interests who can't justify a separate body for every application and who's thinking of ways to make the best of all this potential new acquisition has to offer. And as I admitted, crop mode in the K-1 will put me almost exactly where I am now (and I can't imagine how much better than my *IstDL it would have been); I am well aware that K-3 shooters are not so fortunate.

03-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
The more time you spend studying photos and editing the more things you see. I never used to see things like noise and purple fringing but now they stick out to me. BTW,... I did a search on the D800 and the 645D on 500px. I like low light landscape photos. A few of the D800 photos have great details and dynamic range that seem to be matched by the 645D. What I see is smooth and subtle color transitions in various parts of some of the photos. The 645D came close with one of the photos.
That's definitely true. I spend a lot of time on 500px where I am often rather jealous of the images produced on D800s and D810s. But in all honesty, I think the quality of these photos often reflect the very careful shooting and processing chain that has been used. With a good exposure (or, as we often see in landscape, multiple exposure with very skilled blending), careful and experienced processing can bring beautiful smooth tones, even on a K-5 or K-3. I try to remember that once people reach a certain skill level, they go FF, so it is often their skills that bring these images rather than just the camera!

That said I will be watching the K-1 images very closely over the coming months. I am someone who genuinely has not decided whether to stick with Pentax APSC bodies (with my rather strange mixture of lenses), or change to K-1 or even D810. I VERY much appreciate the reach and weather sealing as well as the weight/performance ratio of Pentax APSC and am not clear I want to give that up....... But I can't resist the K-1 forever, can I? Not with an A50 1.2, AND a Revuenon 55 1.2 just screaming to be put on a K-1!

www.500px.com/JohnCPhoto
03-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I too am not sure, but I really like lots of the other stuff that comes with it. I suspect that it I can get a critter to fill the frame I will have a better shot, more resolution, better depth. That works sometimes. Ultimately with whatever I shoot the more time and effort taken to get close brings better results. A long lens just fills more of the frame when you are close enough to get a good shot.

I suspect that shooting full frame requires a different approach. You don't take the same shots. How that would work in practice I don't know. Someone I respect loves his d810. And he shoots wildlife.
03-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I too am not sure, but I really like lots of the other stuff that comes with it. I suspect that it I can get a critter to fill the frame I will have a better shot, more resolution, better depth. That works sometimes. Ultimately with whatever I shoot the more time and effort taken to get close brings better results. A long lens just fills more of the frame when you are close enough to get a good shot.

I suspect that shooting full frame requires a different approach. You don't take the same shots. How that would work in practice I don't know. Someone I respect loves his d810. And he shoots wildlife.
Remember that a lot of great wildlife photography was done with 35mm film cameras- even manual focus ones.

You might want to get involved with a wildlife photography forum or read some books.

At the present stage of Pentax technology, I would choose the K-3ii for the longest telephoto work, complemented by the K-1 for less extreme telephoto situations and wider work. If I had to choose one it would be the K-3ii. 24MP is plenty of resolution.

The bottom line is that the K-3ii is 24 MP, while the K-1 in crop mode is, what, 16 MP. A K-3ii body is probably a lot cheaper than an AF 800mm for FF.

03-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Remember that a lot of great wildlife photography was done with 35mm film cameras- even manual focus ones.

You might want to get involved with a wildlife photography forum or read some books.

At the present stage of Pentax technology, I would choose the K-3ii for the longest telephoto work, complemented by the K-1 for less extreme telephoto situations and wider work. If I had to choose one it would be the K-3ii. 24MP is plenty of resolution.

The bottom line is that the K-3ii is 24 MP, while the K-1 in crop mode is, what, 16 MP. A K-3ii body is probably a lot cheaper than an AF 800mm for FF.
Very true, the size, weight and cost penalty for long tele is significant for FF, especially with AF. But, it can be done....

One advantage FF should have for macro is a lifting of the diffraction limit, at least to that equivalent to the K-5.

I do note however that closer approaches to critters will be necessary. I'm hoping one day for a D-FA* 180mm AF macro to be brought out at a realistic price. But I appreciate this might be a long wait!

John