Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They've put the K-3 AF into the K-1 + some optimization. The step up was from the K5II 11 points to K-3 27 points af module which already had provision for the 6 adjacent points enabled in the K-1, if I understood correctly.
If that's correct then maybe must wait til next gen for a truly better AF/Tracking cam..

03-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

They used the AF sensor, but with different optics (and of course, the processor is different); it's the new optics which enables the wider area and the 6 extra AF points. That's not exactly the K-3 AF "+ some optimization"

We'll have to see exactly what are the improvements. For tracking, they need more processing power (available) and improved algorithms. And they were talking about improving the response time in low light conditions...
Though I expect the biggest improvement would be the new lenses.

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-30-2016 at 12:38 PM.
03-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They used the AF sensor, but with different optics (and of course, the processor is different); it's the new optics which enables the wider area and the 6 extra AF points. That's not exactly the K-3 AF "+ some optimization"

We'll have to see exactly what are the improvements. For tracking, they need more processing power (available) and improved algorithms. And they were talking about improving the response time in low light conditions...
Though I expect the biggest improvement would be the new lenses.
So then my 150-450 should be optimal on it I am hoping it is so much..2 more weeks to wait!!!
03-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I am considering it for "serious birding". I won't lose anything in terms of resolution vs my K5, and 6.5FPS in crop mode won't be appreciably slower than the 7FPS I have now and is the same as the canon 50D I had before. So its basically a K5 in crop mode, but with no AA filter, an AA filter simulator when needed, better shake reduction (that can be used while panning), and better AF.

My question, and probably the determining factor for me will be: how much better is the AF? It needs to be able to keep up with hawks, ducks and the like even when they are below the treelike. Something my K5 can't dream of.

03-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #20

I've been shooting birds and wildlife for years. My Film cameras and my K10, Kx, and K7 have done great work especially after getting my Bigma 50-500 and I'm sure it will work just fine on the K1. Looking forward to it in late April or early May. That is when the truth will be there. My Solid cat 600 and 800 will have a try there too.