Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #1

Battery life of the K-1?

Anybody have an idea of the battery life? I'm currently a night club photography using nikon D750. My main concern is battery life. I know I could just buy more batteries however I want an idea of how it going to be. That was one of the main reasons I didn't get sony AR7ii. Battery life was horrible. I've use to have K-3 a couple years back and hoping to come back to get the k-1 because I love the handle.

03-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

According to K-1 Data sheet http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/digital-slr/specifications/PENTAX-K-1-DSLR.html

Battery Life:
Number of recordable images: 760
Playback time: Approx. 390 minutes
* With a fully-recharged Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery. Tested in compliance with CIPA standard. Actual results may vary depending on the shooting condition.
03-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vallista Quote
...I've use to have K-3 a couple years back and hoping to come back to get the k-1 because I love the handle.
The K-1 will have similar battery life to your K-3. Using CIPA battery measures, the K-1 gets 760 shots while the K-3ii gets 720. I used the ii model because neither camera has on-board flash.

I'm a little surprised to see that. I expected the K-1's larger mirror, larger shutter, and increased pixel count to consume more power. Energy efficiency improvements made over time might explain the increased battery life.
03-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D-Li90 is a pretty big battery- plus, since the sensor doesn't always have to be on like on the A7, you can expect pretty good battery life. There's also the BG-6 grip for double the juice

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's also the BG-6 grip for double the juice

I'm about to order K-1 soon. I've never used battery grip before. Is there another benefit except 2nd battery inside? It's clear that I have to count with some extra weight and size. But what are the advantages?
03-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'm about to order K-1 soon. I've never used battery grip before. Is there another benefit except 2nd battery inside? It's clear that I have to count with some extra weight and size. But what are the advantages?
The battery grip can also use AA batteries instead of the Pentax rechargeable battery. This can be helpful for long trips to undeveloped areas; you might not have regular access to electricity but can find an occasional store to restock normal AA cells.

Beyond power, the grip adds a second shutter button. It's in a good position if you frequently shoot in portrait mode.

Some people like the extra weight of the grip to balance heavy lenses. I don't like it; I prefer to slide my left hand further forward to cradle and balance long lenses.
03-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Mainly better handling and balance. You can also store a third SD card in the grip- nice for those days where you forget to reinsert your primary card

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
ok, hmm....I'm not interested in buying a battery grip. Maybe just get an extra battery?
03-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ok, hmm....I'm not interested in buying a battery grip. Maybe just get an extra battery?

I have 4 batteries per camera and keep them fully charged at all times and as it is quick and easy to change the battery I think that's the way to go.
03-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm using 4 batteries in total for the K-5 and K-3 always fully charged.
2 Original and two cheaper ones.
Even in situations with lots of photos, I can't remember that I have to changes accus, but it is an excellent feeling to be able to to so.

Because i'm using BG's on both cameras - big hands - it is even easy to carry them with me. I' think the K-1 will be the first one without BG, because she is 10 mm taller as the K3 and fits very good to my hand, and the weight K1 without and K3 wiht BG is nearly the same.
04-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok after long some research, I found out the K-1 can do about 750 shots on one battery. I don't know if that includes raw shots or not. my current nikon D750 does about 1000. So this might work for me.
I was looking into the sony alpha 7 mark ii but battery life sucks. My only other concern has to do with HDR and if K-1 has it or not.

Last edited by Vallista; 04-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.
04-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I'm using 4 batteries in total for the K-5 and K-3 always fully charged.
2 Original and two cheaper ones.
Even in situations with lots of photos, I can't remember that I have to changes accus, but it is an excellent feeling to be able to to so.

Because i'm using BG's on both cameras - big hands - it is even easy to carry them with me. I' think the K-1 will be the first one without BG, because she is 10 mm taller as the K3 and fits very good to my hand, and the weight K1 without and K3 wiht BG is nearly the same.
Same her..hope I don't need a BG for K1,but its only €100 more as a bundle?? mmm..don't think the K3 one will be able to be adapted
04-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My only other concern has to do with HDR and if K-1 has it or not.
Yes, K-1 has HDR:
Features6 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
04-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i find it much easier to carry spare batteries than deal with a grip. camera doesn't fit into any of my three bags as easily with the grip on.
04-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok after long some research, I found out the K-1 can do about 750 shots on one battery. I don't know if that includes raw shots or not. my current nikon D750 does about 1000. So this might work for me.
I was looking into the sony alpha 7 mark ii but battery life sucks. My only other concern has to do with HDR and if K-1 has it or not.
The battery-life isn't much affected by writing raw, jpg, or raw+ . But your HDR-Option may use some power, the same way as all the correcting math for jpg's.
Most of the energy is used by the usage of the Back-display. On my K-3 I hve typically up to 1300-1400 pictures (not using the internal flash) and not viewing the pictures intensive after each shot.

On the K-1 I'll hope, there is no need for a BG anymore - I use one one the K3 (with the spare accu), because of my big hands. And the accus are so small that it is easy to have one additional in your jacket, this will be enough for more than one day with heavy shooting.

The BG6 of the K1 isn't kompatibel to the BG-5 of K3, different mechanical layout of electrical connector.