Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Star Stream mode?

OK, saw this in the "10 unique things" article.

What are the details? From the shot of the K-1 panel, it looks like a subspecies of interval shooting, which is how one usually shoots these, but I'm guessing instead of separate shots it combines them in one file? Sounds kinda like Olympus' composite live view: shoot a frame with say foreground, and then the camera adds successive layers of light as light becomes available (like star trails, or headlights on a road).

Anyone know?

03-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems likely to be a variation on the interval composite mode. Resulting in a single file that can be a RAW.
03-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The exact implementation was still being finalized in the pre-production model, but my understanding is the above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Pentax K-S2 already has the ”star stream” function, and it creates stunning movies like this
(yes I’m sarcastic) unless they come up with something else I’m going to call this the most embarrassing function ever to be found on a “professional” grade camera.

03-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The Pentax K-S2 already has the ”star stream” function, and it creates stunning movies like this PENTAX K-S2 Interval Movie Sample "Star Stream" - YouTube (yes I’m sarcastic) unless they come up with something else I’m going to call this the most embarrassing function ever to be found on a “professional” grade camera.
That's really cool to be honest. I wonder if the K-1 will still output videos (upon checking with the manual, it does, but things could still change).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2016, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

You have a manual?
03-31-2016, 02:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

you actually need to composite your shot when using this. that video is boring big time... but if you have a cool foreground and a silhouette in the back and then capture some star trials... this can be awesome

How To Photograph Star Trails - Digital Photography School
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/06/29/1226411/271863-lincoln-harrison-startrails.jpg

fingers crossed this can be useful

03-31-2016, 02:50 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax K-S2 already has the ”star stream” function, and it creates stunning movies like this... (yes I’m sarcastic) unless they come up with something else I’m going to call this the most embarrassing function ever to be found on a “professional” grade camera.
I quite like the look of that - I don't think there's anything embarrassing about it. I'm not sure I'd use it, but it looks like a fun feature, and so long as it doesn't get in the way of the basic shooting features, I'd have no problem with it being included. While the K-1 may be a professional grade camera, it's going to have a wide user base - from inexperienced amateurs right the way through to professionals. It needs to have a feature set that will appeal to as many of those as possible. There are plenty of features on the K-3 and K-3II that I find superfluous, so I simply choose not to use them. It's great they are there for others, though.
03-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's really cool to be honest. I wonder if the K-1 will still output videos (upon checking with the manual, it does, but things could still change).
You have manual?
Dose it output in 4k?
03-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's seem peoples who receive a K-1 are what it's call the Quiet peiod before launch. Dont expect anything coming from tester and ambassador.
03-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
You have manual?
Dose it output in 4k?
I compare K-1 manual with KS-2 manual, star stream function seems to be identical (with 4k output mode)
03-31-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

What K-1 manual?

Anyway, they have patents on improving the accuracy of the astro tracker function just by using software (by taking a calibration image and analyzing the error) It would have been nice if they had put some time on that instead.
03-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
What K-1 manual?
This one :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108004850@N03/26152325065

An extract with star stream mode :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108004850@N03/26059812792
03-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, movie.

Not so interested now. I like the one it created (needs a fade in to get past the first couple seconds, and a foreground of interest) in the example above. But I assume we're back to intervals and stacking for star trails in photos.
03-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hugh.... did I miss something? Where are those manuals? Are you a kind of ambassador or so? Where do I download a pdf of this?