Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I hesitated with the K3-II because I recently really discovered the usefulness of ISO 80 exposures
This is one of the reasons I am loath to move on from the K-5 for whatever reason. I'm hoping the K-1's ISO 100 will be better in every way, but in terms of sensitivity my ring flash is occasionally too bright even for ISO 80 at close range and f/22 at 1/4 power, and fifty would really be nice.

Nice pair of plots!

For me the question is not whether but when to K-1, and what happens to my lens collection afterwards depends on whether the purchase precedes or follows on the death of my K-5 and just how it feels to use a full-frame-incompatible DA lens in the full-frame viewfinder. On the one hand, I can rest easy knowing that the unusable areas will be cropped out; on the other... maybe I should go practise "dry" with my P3 and some of my DA lenses. The viewfinder is by no means 100%, but given how much that thing is going to vignette, extra coverage really isn't going to make much of a difference.

04-08-2016, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I'd like to get the K1 but will hold off. Not cause I don't want to but because I rather get new lenses. I just got the 77mm and have ordered a 58mm Helios on ebay. Eyeing a few other lenses I'd like, such as the trioplan 100mm. Lenses will always be good on the K3, and when I can afford to I'll get the K1 to use the full frame/film lenses I've got.
04-08-2016, 01:40 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When looking for and buying lenses after I bought my first DSLR, the *istDS, I have always kept an upcoming FF in mind. Over a decade I have built a lens collection ranging from 15mm to 600mm, all Pentax original and high quality including four *-lenses. Being patient and knowing what I want, I have got them all at decent prices, quite a few as bargains.
When the Pentax FF was announced (the mock-up), my first concern was wether the old glass would perform on a digital FF. The second was wether the viewfinder would allow easy-enough manual focusing with the A*85mm f1.4. Thirdly I wondered about and feared for the price.
So when the K-1 finally arrived, at a price I hadn't dared to hope for, there were only two questions left. I could test the viewfinder at a come-and-try-event and the reviews from test-shooters with old glass was reaffirming.

After spending a life catering and spending for girlfriends, x girlfriends, wife, kids, friends in a tight position and whatnot, now it's my turn. I have a decent income, last kid has left the building, wife approves, I won't get any younger.
Do I need it? H*ll no. Will I use it to it's full potential? Joking? Do I want it? H*ll yes! Will I buy it? Already preordered. After ticking YES! in three boxes ordering the camera was easy. What's not so easy is the waiting for delivery. Pain, lots of pain...

Kjell
04-09-2016, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If you are on the edge....this might help push you over.......

Regards!

04-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First time I've seen that one. Too perfect!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you are on the edge....this might help push you over.......

Regards!
04-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #36

I am renting a K1 (hopefully in May) to shoot a friend's wedding. I plan to spend about $175 for the rental and want to compare Low Light performance and Resolution against my K3 II. I shoot A LOT of low light - street, inside events, and some kids "sports" inside. I am really curious if the Sony Sensor will provide significantly better high ISO performance than the K3 II.... Anyone seen a comparison yet? This is my main issue. I can also hold out a few months or longer for a price drop (if one actually comes) or get a used body. And yes I hate the idea of spending $175 for a rental, but can't quite swing the $1800 or so now.
04-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Anyone seen a comparison yet?
I think you might have to wait a few weeks for that Today is the first day anyone has had one and only a very few at that. Kenspo might be a good source but again likely a couple weeks before we see much.
few months or longer for a price drop (if one actually comes)
That might actually be a long time coming. Not before black friday at the earliest I think, maybe not then. This camera is very aggressively priced, not much reason to drop the price until sales slow down.
get a used body.
Come back next spring

04-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best not to wait to long..... life is unpredictable..... never know whats around the corner or under the seat.....see link...
Spider bite| The Advertiser
04-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

This is more a want if you haven't outpaced your K-5 II or K-3.. from reading I'd say you are better of waiting and letting the 3rd party market grow for the camera. In the meantime the firmware will firm too. As well as reviews to see if it is really your cup of tea. The price won't be going up.. so there is no hurry.
04-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, my trip to Australia is canceled. LOL.
04-27-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this rational talk. I'm spending $200 or so to 'rent' my K-1 from now until the Christmas Sale pricing kicks in.
04-27-2016, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
All this rational talk. I'm spending $200 or so to 'rent' my K-1 from now until the Christmas Sale pricing kicks in.
Boom! Early adopters' tax? I call it six months of cheap rental.
04-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I call it six months of cheap rental.
+1 on that. Lens Rental charges a lot more
04-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I'm kind of in the same place. I would like to pre order right now but I know I don't have the skill to get the most out of it now but I am learning. I also know that I would want to order the FA31 and that's about another $1000 right now.

Most likely though I will pre order from B&H this weekend.
I did the same thing at near two grand. Just now I got word that I could buy direct from pentax for near two hundred dollars less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 04-27-16 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
I did the same thing at near two grand. Just now I got word that I could buy direct from pentax for near two hundred dollars less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I am going to see if I can cancel my order at B&H. Wish me luck. WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! My mistake.

Last edited by pntxjack; 04-28-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: I was mistaken about price I paid for K1.
04-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Just now I got word that I could buy direct from pentax for near two hundred dollars less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoa, how does that work? Pentax website says $1,799 how do you get $200 less? Do you have a coupon code?