Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry I was mistaken. Jack

06-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I had no intention of buying a K-1 until it was out for a while. Then I figured the price would drop some or I'd snag a used one. But once the price and specs were announced, I changed my mind.

I am concerned about size/weight. I'm a woman and I have small hands. But if I get it and think I can't handle it, I will just send it back. I doubt once I get it in my hands that's going to happen though. I have several FF lenses already, so that helps mitigate cost, although I'm sure I'll at least have to acquire a walkaround lens (D FA 28-105 likely).

Good luck with your decision!

I would like to know how the K1 is working out for you. As a woman, too, the weight is a concern for me. I have a K5II and at some point will upgrade to K3 or K1(I have heavy considerations on the new K70). So, an update on how it handles for you is of interest to me.
Thanks....

06-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
I would like to know how the K1 is working out for you. As a woman, too, the weight is a concern for me. I have a K5II and at some point will upgrade to K3 or K1(I have heavy considerations on the new K70). So, an update on how it handles for you is of interest to me.
Thanks....

Hi Cindy,

Well, I've had the K-1 for a little over a month now and I absolutely adore it! To be honest with you, while I am aware that it is a bit bigger and heavier than my K-3, in use I really don't notice it at all. All of the controls fall to hand very nicely. I'm loving the new third wheel, which I use for exposure compensation in AV mode and ISO adjustment in Manual mode.

I have not been on a day long photo trip with it yet, however. I may notice it more once I have to carry it around for longer periods. But so far, so good. i have even taken to using a hand strap most of the time, rather than my usual sling strap.

I have had these concerns about weight/size every time I've upgraded - from K-r to K-30, from K-30 to K-3, and from K-3 to K-1. Each time it's proven to not be as big of a deal as I feared. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Hi Cindy,

Well, I've had the K-1 for a little over a month now and I absolutely adore it! To be honest with you, while I am aware that it is a bit bigger and heavier than my K-3, in use I really don't notice it at all. All of the controls fall to hand very nicely. I'm loving the new third wheel, which I use for exposure compensation in AV mode and ISO adjustment in Manual mode.

I have not been on a day long photo trip with it yet, however. I may notice it more once I have to carry it around for longer periods. But so far, so good. i have even taken to using a hand strap most of the time, rather than my usual sling strap.

I have had these concerns about weight/size every time I've upgraded - from K-r to K-30, from K-30 to K-3, and from K-3 to K-1. Each time it's proven to not be as big of a deal as I feared. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Thanks! Much appreciated, indeed! I carry my camera when walking trails, etc.... I actually like the grip and generally wrap the neck strap around my wrist (I don't have a wrist strap, I am just aware of the pull it puts on my neck and shoulder and prefer the wrist). If I have additional questions will be asking. thanks again.

06-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #50

Love my K1 - Agree that it is a bit bigger than the K3 II, but not too noticeable for me since I use a RapidStrap and the weight is across my shoulder. Overall resolution is great. Works with many of my lens in FF mode and I just switch to Crop for one's it does no support. I have shot a wedding, multiple head shots (30 plus), lots of family activities, astrophotography, and more. High ISO performance and resolution is better..... tighter crops, 12,800 ISO is usable, and like that my 50mm 1.2 works great and the DOF is even tighter. My only issue is that when the buffer fills up, the camera pauses and occasionally locks up. I shoot in RAW and probably need to switch to JPG for rapid fire shooting. Ergonomically, I like it over the K3 II, but not sure why. The K3 II is wonderful and was my back up for the wedding, but I carry the K1 everywhere....
06-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Love my K1 - Agree that it is a bit bigger than the K3 II, but not too noticeable for me since I use a RapidStrap and the weight is across my shoulder. Overall resolution is great. Works with many of my lens in FF mode and I just switch to Crop for one's it does no support. I have shot a wedding, multiple head shots (30 plus), lots of family activities, astrophotography, and more. High ISO performance and resolution is better..... tighter crops, 12,800 ISO is usable, and like that my 50mm 1.2 works great and the DOF is even tighter. My only issue is that when the buffer fills up, the camera pauses and occasionally locks up. I shoot in RAW and probably need to switch to JPG for rapid fire shooting. Ergonomically, I like it over the K3 II, but not sure why. The K3 II is wonderful and was my back up for the wedding, but I carry the K1 everywhere....
When you say it locks up, does it come back on its own or do you have to pull the battery?
06-22-2016, 12:48 AM   #52
Pentaxian

When the buffer fills, its a short wait till you can shot again... if you are shooting JPG and Raw itll fill up when yr on the 4.5fps

06-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #53

Well, I just jumped on a K-1 purchase.

Several factors drove my decision.
* The end of the Australian FY is on 30 June and a local supplier had a 10% off deal that expires at midnight tonight. Price delivered to me is A$2525.
* I need a versatile DSLR for a trip at the end of this year and I'm concerned at UK BREXIT effects on the Aussie dollar against the Yen (already happening), so I have little confidence that the current Aussie retail price will be maintained.
* K-1 image quality and discussions on this thread, particularly a reply from 'sculptormic' (Michiel) in answering my query re IQ vs the Sony A7R.
* Pixel-shift and image-stabilisation are major attractions for me, also in-built GPS and astro-tracing.
* I plan to use my smaller P645 A lenses (A35, A75, A150) on the K-1 and also some legacy PK lenses and some soon-to-be Leitaxed Leica R and C/Y lenses. I may also splash out on a Pentax FA Limited lens at some stage however budget precludes that for now.

I shall miss the small form-factor of the Sony A7R and its amazing versatility to accept all types of lenses, however I shall not miss the menus, fiddly small buttons and shutter-shock.

My biggest concern, very much a 1st world problem, is that I may use my 645D less and that I have too much money tied up in too many cameras.

Last edited by lenticular; 07-05-2016 at 06:43 PM.
04-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #54

The K1 is worth every cent, I Have had it for 5 months and it has be great to use.
04-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Totally agree that when I use my RapidStrap, the size difference is minimal. When I put them side by side OR carry them strapless, I see the difference.

Love the K1 and still using my K3 II as backup.
04-13-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

In Australia if you get a good price its approx. AUD$1,000 less than a Nikon D810. A true bargain in my books. You get used to the weight pretty quickly although shrinking a bit of the bulk would be nice.

Outstanding value for the quality (sensor, build and unique features).
05-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I'm finally considering a K-1. I went from a K-50 to a K-3, so the change was not drastic at all. How is the change from a K-3 to a K-1?
How drastic is the change from an MZ-S to a K-1?
05-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is now one year of owning the K1 and I am still learning its features. My female colleague bought over a buddy's K1+DFA24-70/2.8 and she does not find that set up heavy. She had tried my K1 with the older FA*28-70/2.8 and that is almost double the weight and she asked me to keep a look out if there is a sale for the camera.

She is a happy user of the K1 now from being a Nikon user.
05-03-2017, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
How is the change from a K-3 to a K-1?
Massive.

More resolution
Less high ISO noise
Bigger viewfinder
Better AF
Better dynamic range
Fancy flippy screen
Native WiFi

The only time I would prefer the K-3 is when I need the faster burst speed and bigger buffer with telephoto lenses.

QuoteQuote:
How drastic is the change from an MZ-S to a K-1?
Is this a trick question? In what regard?
05-03-2017, 03:19 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Massive.

More resolution
Less high ISO noise
Bigger viewfinder
Better AF
Better dynamic range
Fancy flippy screen
Native WiFi

The only time I would prefer the K-3 is when I need the faster burst speed and bigger buffer with telephoto lenses.

Is this a trick question? In what regard?
This ^^.

The change is very significant....so much more potential for art shots. FF lenses can cost $$$. But this is such a fantastic camera that I just forget about cost and weight and enjoy the beast!!