Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At some stage, I need to put up a single-in post of my K-1 wearing a really, horrifically cheap film-era AF zoom lens, just to horrify the purists.

05-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went through the same dilemma when I was still a Canonnite. I had been shooting with the cropped Canon 30D for a couple of years, but I really wanted the 5D which was full frame. After months(years) of salivating, I finally got up the money to buy the 5D. I was so excited I must have told the entire world that I now owned the 5D ! As months went by, however the 5D an $1800 camera back then, mostly sat on the shelf collecting dust. I would only bring it out if for special occasions, or if I had a paid gig such as a wedding. The 30D was just more comfortable, quicker and more fun. I didn't have to worry about it so much. All I needed was 2 or 3 lenses that I could stuff in my jacket pocket and I was off to the races. The 5D required FF large and expensive lenses which made me feel less comfortable for my style of shooting, which was mostly Street and Architecture. Sure the pictures looked better coming out of the 5D, sure I could crop like there was no tomorrow. Sure I could make large prints in sizes I would have never attempted before, but like I said those moments were few and far between. I didn't regret purchasing the 5D(FF). I felt every serious photographer should own a Full Frame DSLR. However when I sold the camera(5D) it was in Mint condition after 3 years ownership.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 05-06-2017 at 08:08 AM.
05-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #78
Pentaxian

In my current library there are 1292 K-1 images there are are 2151 K-3 images. This since I bought the K-1. I've taken many more images with the K-3 but many were wildlife burst images, a long burst leading to one or two keepers. The K-1 tends to be used for single shots of compelling landscape.

The K-3 has been relegated to being a camera for actions hosts and wildlife, the K-1 is used for landscape, architecture, anything that doesn't move.

Recent K-3 images

Landscapes with the K-1

The increased Dynamic Range of the K-1 is a huge help in images like this. In the original image the deck was almost black, it's all pulled up out of the shadows.

That would be fairly clearly defined roles, but they don't always stay true to form. The K-3 is very good for macro and some landscape

And the K-1 works for wildlife when given the opportunity.

Both are capable of doing the job the other does, but both are better at what they do best, by a fairly large margin. If I'm taking one body, it's probably going to be the K-3, but if the K-1 comes along as a second body, it's probably going to be used.

There are many photo excursions when I come back with pictures from both cameras.

And really how much difference does it make?
Taken with a K-3 or a K-1, can you really tell which is which? Do you really care?

Last edited by normhead; 05-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.
07-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, just to bring this full circle - I succumbed to the K1. It's sitting right here, as I am trying to set it up....