Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Request feature: AF point select using a button on the body and one scroll dial

Hi.

Selection of AF points is one of my bugbears with Pentax camera bodies.

While the AF points are at a manageable level (and I believe 33 is manageable), I believe an AF selection button in combination with the front or rear dial to select the AF point would be better than the current method to select AF point.

Even with the current body they could add a firmware fix to make the Raw button more customisable and be used in the way I suggest.

Is anybody else thinking this way? Just wondering.

Howie Be

03-31-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is where a touch-sensitive panel could be really handy, especially when your eye is up to the viewfinder. Because your hand would be most likely on the grip and your index finger near the shutter release, and because the touch-pad doesn't have to be very big, I'd say make the top LCD touch-sensitive, enabled perhaps by a proximity sensor adjacent the eyepiece and initiated by a tap to signal the start of the selection process. The viewfinder indicators would light up in turn as your finger ran over the corresponding section of the pad, and the last one would stay on as your finger lifts off.

Anyone who's used a good computer trackpad would know how easy this would be to coordinate, after just a small amount of practice. I know I'd be more likely to move away from the centre AF point technique of focus-recompose if such a process was available.
03-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi.

Selection of AF points is one of my bugbears with Pentax camera bodies.

Even with the current body they could add a firmware fix to make the Raw button more customisable and be used in the way I suggest.

Is anybody else thinking this way? Just wondering.

Howie Be
You can do this on the K-S2 with the button customization menu.
03-31-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What about how Canon (I think) does it with a little joystick? Seems less complicated and perhaps could be integrated into the rear AF button. Make it a nub that can be tilted in 8 directions (like a joystick hat switch) and clicky to AF. Just a thought.

03-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think that for once they should just copy CaNikon and add a little joystick for AF point selection. It's the quickest and most straightforward method, and I don't see why Pentax' top APS-C and new FF flagship don't have it.
03-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Request feature: AF point select using a button on the body and one scroll dial Hi. Selection of AF points is one of my bugbears with Pentax camera bodies. While the AF points are at a manageable level (and I believe 33 is manageable), I believe an AF selection button in combination with the front or rear dial to select the AF point would be better than the current method to select AF point. Even with the current body they could add a firmware fix to make the Raw button more customisable and be used in the way I suggest. Is anybody else thinking this way? Just wondering. Howie Be
Your request is the way it works on the K-3. Keep your eye in the viewfinder, press af button, one wheel selects the af mode (AFA,AFS or AFC) and the other wheel selects the number of active AF points. If you have a K-3, you just have to use it.
03-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your request is the way it works on the K-3. Keep your eye in the viewfinder, press af button, one wheel selects the af mode (AFA,AFS or AFC) and the other wheel selects the number of active AF points. If you have a K-3, you just have to use it.
I don't think that's quite what they are requesting. I think they want to use the control dials to selects which point to use, not the amount of points.
03-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I would like the little joystick option myself. I thought initially that the new select wheel on top might include a tilt-able 8 way control for the AF point selection but no.

03-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Interesting idea, though it might be a little tedious as the number of points increases.

Steve
03-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Make a ring around the shutter button work like a 8-way controller and usable for selecting AF point.
Maybe together with a press of the AF mode button to avoid accidental change of focus point.

That would also work well for "thumb focus" users.
And the back of the camera is quite crowded already.

But using front and back wheel probably work well too, and has the advantage that it can be implemented without any hardware change.
03-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree, a joystick would be the best solution. The AF points should be called Focus points instead because if the camera is set to MF with an AF lens, the focus points can still be changed. With that here is my beef against Pentax DSLR, why can't these focus points be equally selectable with MF lenses? My Panasonic G6 can change the focus points regardless of the lens mounted, either native or adaptive, and I am sure Pentax/Ricoh can implement the same with a few lines of code.
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

If you get a chance, try the Olympus Pen-f: it has the focus point selectable by touch screen while looking through the EVF... really very neat and intuitve. Maybe the K1ii will have it ;-) ...
03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Make a ring around the shutter button work like a 8-way controller and usable for selecting AF point.
Maybe together with a press of the AF mode button to avoid accidental change of focus point.

That would also work well for "thumb focus" users.
And the back of the camera is quite crowded already.

But using front and back wheel probably work well too, and has the advantage that it can be implemented without any hardware change.
That would likely require removal of the mechanical DOF lever, one of my most frequently used features (I rarely use GB to meter).
03-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That would likely require removal of the mechanical DOF lever, one of my most frequently used features (I rarely use GB to meter).
I don't think that would be necessary, they could fit the lever around the 8-way controller.
Something like the back on the K10D/K20D, or on the Nikons back.
Attached Images

04-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everybodies feedback. I am thinking within the limitations of the current body, eg, K3 and K1.

I agree, a scroll ring would be ideal.

As it is not mirror less, a touch screen for selecting AF points isn't as useful except for in Live view.

This is because the touch point on the touch screen would actually have to correspond to one of the actual contrast detect AF points. With intelligent programming it would work, eg, using proximity on the touch screen to select the nearest contrast detect AF point but we already know it us not a touch screen.

Within the limitations of the current physical hardware I still believe my idea is better than the current selection method. Especially as you could select AF point while still using the optical viewfinder without going to a menu or the 4 way control pad.

You could select AF point with your eye to the viewfinder.

Howie Be