Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Movie SR is on by default. Really. That makes me believe they never, ever, tried the camera in video mode. Not even once. It looks absolutely awful, videos automatically improve by deactivating it. Pretty much always.

When did they think that THAT is useful? No SR at all would have been a big improvement, having it activated by default... might as well activate 640x480 and some odd posterization effect by default.

It's not quite true what they say in the manual, the camera isn't able to record a 35mm frame in video mode.

I do like some of the other options, and it's good that video recording is started with the shutter button. I don't like oddly placed rec buttons...

QuoteQuote:
You can reduce the possibility of
recording camera operation
sounds by connecting a
commercially available stereo
microphone to the microphone
terminal on the camera.
Now that's a joke, right? They are a) aware that camera sounds are still recorded, despite deactivating SR, and they b) suggest using a microphone to get around the limitation. D'uh. We've been saying that all along, that's why deactivating proper SR is simply not necessary. For Christ sake, make it so that SR is only working when a microphone is plugged in...!

Some more sad news... it seems like Pentax only considers the HDMI output as useful for displaying the image to a TV. If properly implemented it would be much more useful for using external recorders. But since Pentax doesn't mention that I guess it's going to be useless.

Instead they focused their efforts on implementing useless stuff like in camera editing.

The existence of a color profile called flat is promising though. Unfortunately MJPEG is only reserved for timelapses, having that during normal video recordings would have been nice.

No mentioning of whether focus peaking works while recording a video.

I'm sure the stills mode is fine though, it always has been.

I do notice one improvement it seems as to the AF point selection. There seems to be a mode where you have to push the AF point selection button before you can use the cursor buttons for AF point selection. Otherwise it seems like it will default to WB etc.? That's not ideal, I'd much rather have it the other way round (and why isn't that possible, really?!). I only want to have those buttons used for WB etc. when I push a button before that... But at least there's some consistency now, something I could probably get used to. Canon and Nikon IIRC do it better though, and so do old Pentax cameras too.

Bracketing options are still disappointing, there's no sensor shift bracketing.

Of all the things they could do to make me buy the new camera, minor firmware fixes really, they implemented one. Well, not really, but half way there. Kind of disappointing, but I expected that.

03-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
badabing! thanks for the link
03-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I'll wait for version 1.00 that comes with the camera.
03-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Movie SR is on by default. Really. That makes me believe they never, ever, tried the camera in video mode. Not even once. It looks absolutely awful, videos automatically improve by deactivating it. Pretty much always.

Pentax K1 Video sample - YouTube

When did they think that THAT is useful? No SR at all would have been a big improvement, having it activated by default... might as well activate 640x480 and some odd posterization effect by default.

It's not quite true what they say in the manual, the camera isn't able to record a 35mm frame in video mode.

I do like some of the other options, and it's good that video recording is started with the shutter button. I don't like oddly placed rec buttons...

Now that's a joke, right? They are a) aware that camera sounds are still recorded, despite deactivating SR, and they b) suggest using a microphone to get around the limitation. D'uh. We've been saying that all along, that's why deactivating proper SR is simply not necessary. For Christ sake, make it so that SR is only working when a microphone is plugged in...!

Some more sad news... it seems like Pentax only considers the HDMI output as useful for displaying the image to a TV. If properly implemented it would be much more useful for using external recorders. But since Pentax doesn't mention that I guess it's going to be useless.

Instead they focused their efforts on implementing useless stuff like in camera editing.

The existence of a color profile called flat is promising though. Unfortunately MJPEG is only reserved for timelapses, having that during normal video recordings would have been nice.

No mentioning of whether focus peaking works while recording a video.

I'm sure the stills mode is fine though, it always has been.

I do notice one improvement it seems as to the AF point selection. There seems to be a mode where you have to push the AF point selection button before you can use the cursor buttons for AF point selection. Otherwise it seems like it will default to WB etc.? That's not ideal, I'd much rather have it the other way round (and why isn't that possible, really?!). I only want to have those buttons used for WB etc. when I push a button before that... But at least there's some consistency now, something I could probably get used to. Canon and Nikon IIRC do it better though, and so do old Pentax cameras too.

Bracketing options are still disappointing, there's no sensor shift bracketing.

Of all the things they could do to make me buy the new camera, minor firmware fixes really, they implemented one. Well, not really, but half way there. Kind of disappointing, but I expected that.
I chuckled at that external microphone bit too...

I'm still tempted by the K-1 for stills of course. Right now I've narrowed it down to the K-1 or the Fuji X-Pro2 (or X-T2 if that's out by the time I make up my mind). Which is funny considering how everyone knocks the Fuji for being terrible at video--still it's better than the K-1, from what I can tell, in that it has continuous AF in video and access to some current stabilized lenses.

I don't think I'll be making a decision until some more sample material comes out for the K-1, but the X-Pro2 RAWs compare pretty favorably to the D810 RAWs, at the same display resolution and correcting for Fuji's ISO fudging. I assume the K-1 will perform about the same, so the full frame advantage would seem to only be an advantage in low light. The Fuji lenses are pretty affordable compared to the Pentax DFA offerings too. They're all focus-by-wire though. Ugh. So many compromises...

Anyway, I've at least ruled out the Sony options. 4k sounds nice, but I don't think a Sony would survive any rough treatment, and I know I wouldn't survive its poor ergonomics and user interface.

But back to the Pentax rant... Is it really possible that more people care about GPS and Astrotracer than something as common and basic as video?

03-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, yes. Yes it is. *

* You left off on board flash.
03-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nevermindhim Quote
Is it really possible that more people care about GPS and Astrotracer than something as common and basic as video?
I would...
03-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

But back to the Pentax rant... Is it really possible that more people care about GPS and Astrotracer than something as common and basic as video?
Almost certainly not, for most users, I have no idea what Ricoh were thinking - unless they simply ran out of development time and resources to improve the movie stuff wthout further delays, and focussed on the absolute priority of getting the stills right.

People who want decent sound with their video will use an external mic or an external audio recorder anyway, something like a Zoom say, and use the DSLR audio track for quick and easy sync when replacing it with the external one. So camera and SR sounds are irrelevant for people who want high quality video and sound. I still use my K-5 for video as the sensor SR works wonderfully well once you know its limitations and act accordingly. Software Movie SR is utter rubbish - it's as bad as the awful Youtube shake reduction.

Come on Ricoh, let's have proper sensor SR for video next time round!

Last edited by Dave L; 03-31-2016 at 04:58 PM.
03-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I suspect that the real reason for not using sensor move SR in the video mode is power consumption - GPS and wi-fi also get turned off.
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one who has never touched the red button on any still camera. CCL.
03-31-2016, 05:35 PM - 4 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it really possible that more people care about GPS and Astrotracer than something as common and basic as video?
Yep.

To state that differently: "Is it really possible that more people care about video than something as useful as GPS and Astrotracer?"
03-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #41

So why do you stick with Pentax and not one of the other players with better video? Is it because of the still image quality? Why can't the other players deliver something as common and basic as still image quality?
03-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I have owned still cameras for over forty years. I have never used one to record movies / video. I have never had an interest in video, but if I do, I will purchase a camera designed to record video.
03-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
To state that differently: "Is it really possible that more people care about video than something as useful as GPS and Astrotracer?"
So true...
03-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add me to the list of people who care more about GPS and Astrotracer than video.

03-31-2016, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yep.

Don't give a rusty rat's arse about the video but some pentaxians do. They should consider them as well. Not that it would matter one flat skunk on the road to me.