Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nevermindhim Quote
ut back to the Pentax rant... Is it really possible that more people care about GPS and Astrotracer than something as common and basic as video?
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, yes. Yes it is. *

* You left off on board flash.
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Add me to the list of people who care more about GPS and Astrotracer than video.
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would...
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
Don't give a rusty rat's arse about the video but some pentaxians do. They should consider them as well. Not that it would matter one flat skunk on the road to me.
My thoughts regarding the video on my K-3 is that I use it in much the same way as the video on my cell phone with similar expectation. To balance that expectation, I would add that the video quality is pretty decent as long as you are willing to do your own focus, use professional camera support and make do without clean HDMI out. Strangely, that is the approach I would use if I were wanting to take up video even if not with the K-3. If I wanted AF, SR, and support for an external recorder I would buy a video camcorder or perhaps something with the Lumix label.

Steve

* Clean HDMI out would be nice, however...did I read that Ricoh said this was approachable?

03-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But the video guys are starting to sound like the FF guys a year or so ago. Every thread about anything got hijacked into "Pentax needs to make a FF camera". This isn't quite as bad but it still seems like every thread gets hijacked into "Pentax needs better video".
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe we need that for video so there is a proper place to voice the concerns.
Already exists.

The chant has been building for a long time with most of the same voices chiming in. With every new camera release there is disappointment that sensor-based SR has not been restored and that whatever codec that is supported is not the one used by <insert brand name here>, low frame rate, and that the video AF support sucks. Oh, yes, and the matter of no clean HDMI out.

I have to admit to having sympathy for their complaints. If you can imagine a world-class video-capable SLR with larger sensor, in-body SR, and a wide choice of vintage and modern lenses at the price point of a K-S2, K-50, or K-3II or for FF, the K-1?

Now, how about that new manual, eh?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2016 at 09:59 PM.
03-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Already exists.

The chant has been building for a long time with most of the same voices chiming in. With every new camera release there is disappointment that sensor-based SR has not been restored and that whatever codec that is supported is not the one used by <insert brand name here>, low frame rate, and that the video AF support sucks. Oh, yes, and the matter of no clean HDMI out.

I have to admit to having sympathy for their complaints. If you can imagine a world-class video-capable SLR with larger sensor, in-body SR, and a wide choice of vintage and modern lenses at the price point of a K-S2, K-50, or K-3II or for FF, the K-1?

Now, how about that new manual, eh?

Steve
I don't know. Is it really that off topic to comment on the video features mentioned in the manual? All of these people saying that Pentax is adamant (and justified) in not doing video seem to forget the fact that all of these cameras do have video functions and those functions are in fact advertised and documented.

It would be a different story if the K-1 didn't have a video mode at all...
03-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
p65 you can change flash level compensation from the body. Does the K3II do this?
Yes...

Steve

03-31-2016, 10:24 PM   #65
ogl
Banned

https://yadi.sk/i/m7vtNtzOqe9W9
download link to PDF manual

the quality of some pages are not good, but readable

Last edited by ogl; 03-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.
03-31-2016, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #66

Photos: Gallery
It seems like Pentaxians are starting to get polarized between the Stills camp and the Video camp.

I use both, have used various different cameras, and still continue to support Pentax because it has the, how shall we say, potential, no, actual capability of providing excellent results in both sectors, despite Ricoh saying they are not pushing for the best video featured camera. That is why you hear Pentaxian video enthusiasts comment on this subject, because they know the K-1 has, with a few upgrades, what it takes to be that perfect Hybrid DSLR. Mentioning in the manual that using an external microphone will facilitate shooting video without picking up camera noises is pretty much setting up a firmware update to enable mechanical SR in movie mode. There might however be a cost consideration in developing the software tweak to do this at the K-1s competetive (US) pricepoint.

So let me make a suggestion here. For those of us who really care about these particular pro video features, perhaps Ricoh could introduce them in a paid firmware update option. That way we get what we would need, and the fee would offset the development cost of enabling them, leaving normal bug fix updates to remain free for the stills users.

Please don't quarrel guys, you like stills, we like video too, we all love Pentax. And don't disrespect the engineers who have worked so hard to make this one of the finest cameras on the market today.
04-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #67
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Manual for the K-1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/penzi21ucajn0lb/K-1_Operating_Manual.pdf Found here: Star Stream mode?
Oh, that's what this thread's about...

04-01-2016, 03:21 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I really enjoyed those. How dare you! Very nice work. Looked like it was a pretty warm bath for that momma bear.
The little I have done shows me that to get decent results requires a serious commitment. The K3 function is basic, better than the K5 in all but SR. I work very hard to get nice sharp shots of wildlife, and I succeed from time to time in getting something I'm proud of. To reach that same standard in video I frankly don't know how I would go about it. Maybe 4k, very likely some kind of dampened panning head or gimbal stabilization gizmo, plus the serious effort in software for finish. Plus a bunch of lenses, I don't even know where to start with that.

This is complex and demanding stuff. To pull off a happenstance shot is almost impossible. A body designed for video would be a different body, as are the lenses. Serious videographers don't use autofocus, they have tape measures and graduated marks on the lenses. They plan the shot like a military campaign.

A friend has the Canon apsc , 7d or 70d, not sure of the model. I think his lenses are stabilized, not sure. He gets decent stuff, but you see the AF hunting. It is supposedly so much more advanced than the K3, and probably is, but it is still inadequate.

An evf is essential for video, but a compromise for the stills shooting I do.

So Pentax has produced a body whose goal is to be superb for stills, and has a functional video capability. The image resources interview suggested that they may get a clean HDMI output in a later firmware if there is demand. If they want to blow up the market they would do a medium format with nicely implemented video. Otherwise smaller sensors seem to be the way to go, along with all the mirrorless goodies. I suspect they have some people in dark rooms beating away on these challenges.
04-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #69
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Wouldn't it be more interesting to discuss findings in the manual than having another nonsensical quarrel over video?
04-01-2016, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Happy that we will get plastic triangles for neckstrap rings.
04-01-2016, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wouldn't it be more interesting to discuss findings in the manual than having another nonsensical quarrel over video?
Nope. We made it to page 3 before a Pentax is doomed comment. We should count ourselves lucky.

I'm kind of amazed the:
  • Lytro guys aren't in here saying that Pentax is doomed because it wont take pictures where you can adjust the DoF later.
  • Underwater guys saying Pentax is doomed because the camera wont stay waterproof to 50'
  • iOS users saying Pentax is doomed because the iPhone 6 can clearly take better pictures.
  • Individuals saying Pentax is doomed because we have to pay money to use their cameras.
  • Big oil saying Pentax is doomed because they use a lithium ion battery instead of gasoline to power their cameras

You know, just to name a few...
04-01-2016, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Happy that we will get plastic triangles for neckstrap rings.
But the suggested method for threading the strap is wrong again !

Last edited by kh1234567890; 04-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.
04-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
But the suggested method for threading the strap is wrong again !
That's up to you to figure it out (;
04-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #74

Here's the reality of the situation: if you buy a DSLR/mirrorless camera from any other manufacturer, it will have some kind of physical image stabilization for video, be it in the lens or body, and it may even have full time autofocus.

That is the industry standard.

If you expect people to overlook that (and the fact that Pentax is offering far less value than the others as var as video is concerned), then I think you'll be disappointed.
04-01-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nevermindhim Quote
Here's the reality of the situation: if you buy a DSLR/mirrorless camera from any other manufacturer, it will have some kind of physical image stabilization for video, be it in the lens or body, and it may even have full time autofocus.

That is the industry standard.

If you expect people to overlook that (and the fact that Pentax is offering far less value than the others as var as video is concerned), then I think you'll be disappointed.
So, which 36MP FF camera are you buying to do your video??