Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We still don't know which camera you will buy {and therefore which forum will become your new home}

Have you actually investigated any of these cameras? Of the FF cameras, only the 24MP Nikon D610 ($1297) and the 20MP Canon 6D ($1399) are priced lower than the Pentax K-1. The least expensive 36MP FF {*} camera is the Nikon D810, which costs $1000 more than the K-1, and the 42MP Sony A7Rii is an additional $401 more. If you want nice video, then you will have to pay dearly for it. Many here are here because they do value the quality they have come to expect from Pentax and do not value video.

{*} apart from the K-1, all FF camera bodies priced lower than the D810 are 24MP or less

If you are honest, you will admit that this completely depends on how you value photographic equipment. I have made two videos in my life - once when I accidentally slid the switch to the wrong position and missed the picture I actually wanted. To me, video adds zero value to the camera, while increasing MP by 50% adds considerable value, and the flipping LCD {neither the D610 nor the 6D does this} adds additional value. In all this evaluation, I never once mentioned GPS and Astrotracer.
QuoteOriginally posted by nevermindhim Quote
Sounds like your argument for staying with Pentax is to do it to spite you... Not a very compelling reason.

Of course I've investigated those other cameras. Most have been on the market for a while, are also available used. And the A7II is available new cheaper than the K-1.

Yes, it depends--everything depends. Some people still shoot film. Basically every other brand offers some kind of physically stabilized video and Pentax doesn't, you have to factor that into the cost. What does it cost to buy a Pentax K-1 AND a Panasonic GH4 + lenses?

Don't you get that Pentax is locking you out of stabilized video? The body won't do it and the lenses won't do it. That's very unique situation to be in 2016.
Your "response" is what lawyers call "not responsive" - in other words it has nothing to do with what I said. On two different occasions I asked which specific available camera you consider to be the best choice rather than the K-1. On two different occasions you have gone off on an unrelated tangent; you repeatedly tap-dance around the issue of priorities. On the other hand, I have been very clear and direct. I consider video to be of no value. I consider 36MP to be better than 24MP and new better than used, so if I had $2G lying around, I would prefer the Pentax K-1 over the Nikon D610, the Canon 6D, the Nikon D750, the Sony A99, and the Canon 5Diii. I consider $1800 to be better than $2800, so I would prefer the Pentax K-1 over the Nikon D810 and the Sony A7Rii. Thus my argument for "staying with Pentax" {*} is that their products provide the capabilities I need at a better price than Canikon products which provide the same capabilities; in short, under my standards, they provide the best value.

Since we've now passed this station twice, I don't intend any more responses unless you actually address these issues.

{*} for me personally, this is a strange construct since I moved from Canon to Pentax less than a year ago, and I did it because of the kind of issues I've been discussing here, namely seeing greater value for me in what Pentax provides than in what Canikon provides; Your Mileage May Vary, which is why I have repeatedly tried to find out which of the alternatives you would buy if you had the money ready to go.

04-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by marq Quote
It seems like Pentaxians are starting to get polarized between the Stills camp and the Video camp.

I use both, have used various different cameras, and still continue to support Pentax because it has the, how shall we say, potential, no, actual capability of providing excellent results in both sectors, despite Ricoh saying they are not pushing for the best video featured camera. That is why you hear Pentaxian video enthusiasts comment on this subject, because they know the K-1 has, with a few upgrades, what it takes to be that perfect Hybrid DSLR. Mentioning in the manual that using an external microphone will facilitate shooting video without picking up camera noises is pretty much setting up a firmware update to enable mechanical SR in movie mode. There might however be a cost consideration in developing the software tweak to do this at the K-1s competetive (US) pricepoint.

So let me make a suggestion here. For those of us who really care about these particular pro video features, perhaps Ricoh could introduce them in a paid firmware update option. That way we get what we would need, and the fee would offset the development cost of enabling them, leaving normal bug fix updates to remain free for the stills users.

Please don't quarrel guys, you like stills, we like video too, we all love Pentax. And don't disrespect the engineers who have worked so hard to make this one of the finest cameras on the market today.
No polarization here. I live on the equator and really just want to do my thing. Stills that is.
04-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On the subject of the K-1 manual - the Dropbox account is now locked because the account is generating too much traffic.
Problem solved!

Here's the Pentax K-1 Owner's Manual
04-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You 'da Man!!

04-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You 'da Man!!
Yep I gave PetaPixel the tip...
04-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yep I gave PetaPixel the tip...
You have insider's information, or you're a good hacker !
04-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You have insider's information, or you're a good hacker !
Nah, just found it in the thread mentioned in the original post.
Then posted it in another thread and forwarded to PetaPixel.

@flogtv6; is the hacker:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/317779-star-stream-mode-2.html#post3590189

04-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your "response" is what lawyers call "not responsive" - in other words it has nothing to do with what I said. On two different occasions I asked which specific available camera you consider to be the best choice rather than the K-1. On two different occasions you have gone off on an unrelated tangent; you repeatedly tap-dance around the issue of priorities. On the other hand, I have been very clear and direct. I consider video to be of no value. I consider 36MP to be better than 24MP and new better than used, so if I had $2G lying around, I would prefer the Pentax K-1 over the Nikon D610, the Canon 6D, the Nikon D750, the Sony A99, and the Canon 5Diii. I consider $1800 to be better than $2800, so I would prefer the Pentax K-1 over the Nikon D810 and the Sony A7Rii. Thus my argument for "staying with Pentax" {*} is that their products provide the capabilities I need at a better price than Canikon products which provide the same capabilities; in short, under my standards, they provide the best value.

Since we've now passed this station twice, I don't intend any more responses unless you actually address these issues.

{*} for me personally, this is a strange construct since I moved from Canon to Pentax less than a year ago, and I did it because of the kind of issues I've been discussing here, namely seeing greater value for me in what Pentax provides than in what Canikon provides; Your Mileage May Vary, which is why I have repeatedly tried to find out which of the alternatives you would buy if you had the money ready to go.
Well, if you had been paying attention you would see that I stated at the very beginning that I haven't yet decided what to buy.

I can tell you one thing, I'm glad you're not the one spending my money...

Case closed.

---------- Post added 04-01-16 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That would be me. Are you saying I am a liar?

And why would I care? Seriously. Why? Stabilized video is of no use to me. Zero.
If I were going to call you something, I can think of a few better things.

GPS and Astrotracer are of no use to me. So what? What is your point? Does Pentax make cameras just for you?
04-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GPS and Astrotracer are of no use to me. So what? What is your point? Does Pentax make cameras just for you?
No they don't, so why are you insisting they should make them just for you?
04-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No they don't, so why are you insisting they should make them just for you?
Wow. You're really committed to this game, aren't you? Did you miss the part where I pointed out that basically every other camera system on the market provides this functionality except for Pentax? How convenient that you skipped that bit...

How on earth is video just for me?

GPS and Astrotracer especially, however, are as niche as you can get.

It's not even an either-or situation anyway, since Pentax has simply chosen to disable the sensor shift SR in video mode arbitrarily and YOU don't have to give up anything.

You're just trying to justify to yourself that 'your' brand is putting out a sub-par product, and it's painfully obvious.
04-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Wow. You're really committed to this game, aren't you? Did you miss the part where I pointed out that basically every other camera system on the market provides this functionality except for Pentax? How convenient that you skipped that bit...

How on earth is video just for me?

GPS and Astrotracer especially, however, are as niche as you can get.

It's not even an either-or situation anyway, since Pentax has simply chosen to disable the sensor shift SR in video mode arbitrarily and YOU don't have to give up anything.

You're just trying to justify to yourself that 'your' brand is putting out a sub-par product, and it's painfully obvious.
Now now, it isn't anyone here who is dictating anything. It is what Pentax has produced. You can choose to buy it or not, so can I. You can't understand why they didn't enable SR in video mode. Fine. I don't know either. They didn't. I or anyone else here has no input on that decision.

In the imaging resources interview the Ricoh folks seemed open to the idea of adding clean HDMI output in a future firmware release, if there was demand for it. They were not open to the idea of hardware SR. Who knows why? I don't.

If you think this is about ' my brand' well I invite you to go argue like that somewhere else.
04-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You miss my point. Lack of video is not sub-par 'for me' I don't care. I don't need it, I don't use it. So I selected a camera that supplies the features that I need. Which in this case is Pentax. Which isn't the only brand I use, by the way. Cameras are tools and I buy the one that best let's me do my job. Perhaps you would be happier if you bought a camera brand that supplied the features you need to produce the work you need.
Did you miss the part where I pointed out that basically every other camera system on the market provides this functionality except for Pentax? How convenient that you skipped that bit...
Nope, didn't skip it. Don't care. Don't use video. Don't need video. Which makes me happy as a clam to be using Pentax. Sorry you aren't.
04-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Now now, it isn't anyone here who is dictating anything. It is what Pentax has produced. You can choose to buy it or not, so can I. You can't understand why they didn't enable SR in video mode. Fine. I don't know either. They didn't. I or anyone else here has no input on that decision.

In the imaging resources interview the Ricoh folks seemed open to the idea of adding clean HDMI output in a future firmware release, if there was demand for it. They were not open to the idea of hardware SR. Who knows why? I don't.

If you think this is about ' my brand' well I invite you to go argue like that somewhere else.
The argument can't stand on it's own, so here come the reinforcements.

It's no surprise why there are so few Pentax users and members of this forum remaining who care about video. They've been driven off!

And so very defensive for people who "don't care" about something...
04-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #104
Pentaxian

The argument can't stand on it's own, so here come the reinforcements.

It's no surprise why there are so few Pentax users and members of this forum remaining who care about video. They've been driven off!

And so very defensive for people who "don't care" about something...
Defensive? Just annoyed at video aficionados who blather on about how silly I am for not going along with their opinion of what I need.

SR would not work for me. I've seen Canon video and I can match it. Same with Nikon d810. Neither meets my standards for quality that I try to achieve in stills. I'm not willing to spend a multiple of what I've spent on stills hardware, nor the effort to learn the substantial skills necessary to do it. It is another world, and I would want to do it really well if I was.

So we will see how the K1 looks, I suspect it is a marginal improvement on the K3, and I will be entirely satisfied in the results I get within the limits of what I expect. The K3 fits my video needs, but doesn't fill my stills needs.

If you don't like that I really don't care.

---------- Post added 04-01-16 at 10:04 PM ----------

Seriously. There is a thread somewhere here about video using the K3. Utterly devoid of any constructive knowledge, a total waste of time except if you want to moan about lack of SR. Quite shameful in fact.

I have utterly no patience for that. There is a different way. There is a vibrant and interesting thread where long lens shooters post shots. There isn't a wide range of capable long Pentax glass. But people show up with older glass, Tamron adaptalls, old A and M stuff, some new. I've learned an enormous amount from what people are doing, and it is fun. Some people move on to other brands, fine. But no moaning allowed, and no condescension, and you better post some shots, lots of shots over time before expressing an opinion.

All I've learned here is that there are lots of people interested in video but can't seem to get it to work without mechanical SR.
04-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Boriscleto is now invoked.
+1. Invoked here also.