Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #526
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For the vast majority of us K-1 is basically an adult toy. For a few more dedicated hobbyists it is a fine tool that will increase enjoyment of the hobby. I'd bet most if not all of the users who actually earn money with a camera have an account Rep at some dealer and made a verbal reservation. I'd also bet they got their cameras toot de suite.

Which is why we're not hearing much from them.
I suspect it is more.. us regulars are more hobbyists / enthusiasts than full time commercial photogs. I doubt too many full time photographers waste their time chewing the fat on the forums.. its mostly 50+ guys who enjoy the art posting here regularly.

05-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Hey! Just because it is a new toy....
Heh.

You're one of the reasonable ones. *

* ahem.
05-04-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered from B&H. Confirmation says 'Beginning of May, 2016'. Order Status says 'On Order'.*

* [EDIT] A couple weeks isn't going to kill me.
True but waiting for mine is like me being a kid waiting for Christmas
05-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #529

I believe zen3d got what was paid for and there is no basis to be upset, but if it was me I would have asked to talk to the manager and I am sure they would have upgraded the service.

05-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #530

QuoteOriginally posted by JENSEN7474 Quote
I believe zen3d got what was paid for and there is no basis to be upset, but if it was me I would have asked to talk to the manager and I am sure they would have upgraded the service.
Fair enough. This group's feedback has been absorbed by me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Time for the party to begin .
05-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #531

Here is another story. When I saw that Adorama had stock and offered free expedited shipping, I contacted Amazon for the 3rd time to find any new information. Nothing but they are still out of stock. So I started the order with Adorama, almost finished and decided to be sure and cancel with Amazon. Where I was told:

"shipping soon, cancellation is not guaranteed. We're preparing this order for shipment. If you'd like to cancel item(s) from this order, check the Cancel Item box next to the item(s) and click "Request cancellation." We'll do our best to cancel the item(s) selected. "

So I called the bank, they said there was a pending transaction about 8am. Then I called the number they gave me and talked to a helpful fellow from KY. He said that the process had started and that the delivery date was this Friday, but they had not gotten around to making it official I guess.

It is not that I had to have it this week, but the uncertainty of not even knowing when they would get the stock, fulfill other preorders and get to me eventually. We are like kids at Christmas though, aren't we?
05-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #532
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heh.

You're one of the reasonable ones. *

* ahem.
Some would say my collection is unreasonable for someone who plays around at photography...

05-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #533
Forum Member

Amazon has not shipped my camera. I am beginning to wonder if the customer service reps are somehow able to change the status of an order just to try to make people happy. I e-mailed them today and told them if it ships tomorrow I need to change my order to expedited shipping so I get it Friday. They e-mailed me back assuring me I would have it Friday. But I'm starting to have my doubts.

And I am actually someone who makes money with the camera. Although I'm fairly part time, I have been doing an average of one wedding per month so far this year. For me, this is a need, not a want. Although, I have been shooting weddings with other cameras and making do, and I am sure I can do Saturday's wedding without it. But I really, really want it!

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 10:24 PM ----------

Spoke too quickly. I just got a tracking number and my K1 is on its way set to arrive Friday!!!! Never hurts to bug customer service.
05-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #534
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
And I am actually someone who makes money with the camera. Although I'm fairly part time, I have been doing an average of one wedding per month so far this year. For me, this is a need, not a want.
A need huh?

Although, I have been shooting weddings with other cameras and making do, and I am sure I can do Saturday's wedding without it. But I really, really want it!
Much more honest... it's a want.
05-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #535
Forum Member

Amazon has not shipped my camera. I am beginning to wonder if the customer service reps are somehow able to change the status of an order just to try to make people happy. I e-mailed them today and told them if it ships tomorrow I need to change my order to expedited shipping so I get it Friday. They e-mailed me back assuring me I would have it Friday. But I'm starting to have my doubts.

And I am actually someone who makes money with the camera. Although I'm fairly part time, I have been doing an average of one wedding per month so far this year. For me, this is a need, not a want. Although, I have been shooting weddings with other cameras and making do, and I am sure I can do Saturday's wedding without it. But I really, really want it!)
What was your order date at Amazon? They have started shipping early pre-orders like the ones from February and early March.

If you need it urgently, you can still order through Adorama as they have a few of them in stock (as per their web site).
05-04-2016, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #536
Veteran Member

I am sure I can do Saturday's wedding without it. But I really, really want it![COLOR="Silver"]
its a slight deviation from tangent, but based on my wedding/paid function experience, no way in hell would I walk into a wedding with a camera I've had 1-2 days to play around with.

i'm giving myself almost 3 weeks of experimentation before i'm putting mine into "service".

from tweaking menu items, to user modes, to even button configuration, I've had my k3 for about 2 years and occasionally in really hectic situations I STILL forget things like how to change the AF mode or change max allowable iso. if nothing else, the change in FoV for lenses will take a little mental reprogramming.

if you can pull it off, more power to you....
05-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #537
Forum Member

My order date was April 21st. I already jumped ship from B&H to Amazon when I thought the release date was over the Passover. Thankfully, Amazon came through, since I didn't feel like switching my order again.

A need or a want? For some weddings, it is pretty close to being a need. The wedding Saturday is not a candlelit, dark church wedding, so it's not a need. Better high ISO is the most important thing for me. All the rest is bonus. I've been getting by, but there are situations where I would end up with less grain/sharper pictures. Now I need to get busy and get everything done ahead of time so I can send Friday breaking it in!

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 10:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
its a slight deviation from tangent, but based on my wedding experience, no way in hell would I walk into a wedding with a camera I've had 1-2 days to play around with.

i'm giving myself almost 3 weeks of experimentation before i'm putting mine into "service".

from tweaking menu items, to user modes, to even button configuration, I've had my k3 for about 2 years and occasionally in really hectic situations I STILL forget things like how to change the AF mode or change max allowable iso.

if you can pull it off, more power to you....
It depends how similar it is to the previous cameras. I always wear two cameras on Rapid Straps with different lenses the day of, so I can easily switch back to the familiar if I have to.
05-04-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My B&H order has shipped and will arrive on Monday, 5/9. In the meantime, I found one at my local camera store. They have not carried Pentax for years so I really wanted to support them for doing so again. I will be returning the B&H one as soon as it arrives.
05-04-2016, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
My B&H order has shipped and will arrive on Monday, 5/9. In the meantime, I found one at my local camera store. They have not carried Pentax for years so I really wanted to support them for doing so again. I will be returning the B&H one as soon as it arrives.
If it was Looking Glass Photo. I stopped by today and picked up a DFA 28-105 and paid for a K1 which should arrive this week. Like you I wanted to support a local store. They geniunely seemed excited about carrying the K1.
05-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
If it was Looking Glass Photo. I stopped by today and picked up a DFA 28-105 and paid for a K1 which should arrive this week. Like you I wanted to support a local store. They geniunely seemed excited about carrying the K1.
Yes! It was Looking Glass Photo. They are totally amped about the camera. A couple of their staff (one of whom bought the other K-1) stated they are planning to sell their Canon gear once they have their K-1. I just listed the B&H one for sale in the market place in case there are forum members who would otherwise experience a long delay in receiving one. If no one wants it, I will return it to B&H.
Closed Thread