Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Possibly. But when a customer gets an email saying the product is "now shipping" with a direct link to purchase the product, it is reasonable to assume that means the product is in stock.
Agree. I was only trying to point out that as a manufacturer Ricoh has a different mind set than retailers. When they do retail advertising they shouldn't. Either they expected to be in stock today and the email was pre-scheduled and no one stopped it when the delivery was late or they just have not quite gotten a handle on the difference between "shipping" to retailers and customers. Just stating facts, not defending anyone.

I talked to B&H yesterday and they said a delivery was expected yesterday. The only thing that changed is that the 28-105 went from pre-order to in-stock. No change on the k-1. So either they did not get any or what they got was not enough to cover pre-orders. Then got the email this morning that they are still out of stock so I suspect the delivery had lenses but no cameras.

05-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree. I was only trying to point out that as a manufacturer Ricoh has a different mind set than retailers. When they do retail advertising they shouldn't. Either they expected to be in stock today and the email was pre-scheduled and no one stopped it when the delivery was late or they just have not quite gotten a handle on the difference between "shipping" to retailers and customers. Just stating facts, not defending anyone.

I talked to B&H yesterday and they said a delivery was expected yesterday. The only thing that changed is that the 28-105 went from pre-order to in-stock. No change on the k-1. So either they did not get any or what they got was not enough to cover pre-orders. Then got the email this morning that they are still out of stock so I suspect the delivery had lenses but no cameras.
I understand.

Anyway, I'm not changing orders again now. I'll get it when I get it. Guess I'll just sit back and continue to read the impressions of those who have the camera.
05-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
From what store did you order?
Pentax/Shopatron
05-03-2016, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #349
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I talked with B&H on chat today and they said that they were getting a shipment on the 21st and early preorders like mine will go out with that one.
The person here who told you this was wrong twice. The date was incorrect and until we actually receive and inventory a delivery he should have demurred.

It's always nice to be able to say, "We were told to expect a delivery on Tuesday," and it'd be nicer to be able to say, "We were told to expect a delivery of ### cameras on Tuesday," but until the cameras are actually sitting in our warehouse there is some uncertainty, no matter what we've been assured or by whom.

I apologize.

05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #350

What a mess. Why are so many retailers so uncertain?

"We should be getting some in anytime. We're not sure how many or how many will be available after orders are filled. I can say that orders will be filled in the order received."

What? Don't these retailers use point-of-sale systems? My dry cleaner has a more advanced tracking system.
05-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #351

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
The person here who told you this was wrong twice. The date was incorrect and until we actually receive and inventory a delivery he should have demurred.

It's always nice to be able to say, "We were told to expect a delivery on Tuesday," and it'd be nicer to be able to say, "We were told to expect a delivery of ### cameras on Tuesday," but until the cameras are actually sitting in our warehouse there is some uncertainty, no matter what we've been assured or by whom.

I apologize.
So the official word from B&H is "We don't know anymore than you do."
05-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erkund Quote

"We should be getting some in anytime. We're not sure how many or how many will be available after orders are filled. I can say that orders will be filled in the order received."

What? Don't these retailers use point-of-sale systems? My dry cleaner has a more advanced tracking system.
They are uncertain because their shipment are not in sxhedule, maybe Ricoh dont have enough inventory and they delay the shipment, maybe with even less cameras. We are constantly calling for answer to people who dont have the actual info, im sure they call the warehouse and ask, hey the cameras have arrived, and the guy in the warehouse respond, they should be here on X day, and they give that info to the person.

But at the end, if BH or Adorama dont have the cameras is probably because of Ricoh, with enough time is easy to arrenge the delivery of the cameras to 1 of May to them if Ricoh have the stock

05-03-2016, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #353

Multiple stores told me they do for Canon and Nikon. Only Pentax doesn't provide tracking info to them so it magically shows up. Cameta Camera has them in stock if you call them and they correctly estimated they would get some today last week on their website, but the sales people didn't have any idea they were getting some.
05-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #354

I just came up with a great way to avoid this whole shipping fiasco. I wish I thought of this before.

1. Get one of those reloadable Visa cards. They can be used at any retailer accepting Visa, and they aren't attached to your bank account, and don't impact your credit rating. Put a balance of $1850 on the card (give or take to account for shipping).

2. Preorder the camera at every retailer you want using this card. They won't charge your card until they are preparing the item for shipping.

3. Once you get the shipment notice you can then cancel the order at the other retailers. Because the card has a limited balance, you don't have to worry about a second retailer also completing an order, because the card will be declined.

Would this work? I think it would have helped ensure a prompt delivery. It might not be a favorable method for the retailers, but I don't have much love for them right now.
05-03-2016, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, do you have this backwards. POS systems tell you what you sold, and possibly what you have on order. They tell you NOTHING about what your vendor has in stock or is shipping you.

This is starting to look like a mess but blaming retailers is simply wrong. They have no more idea than we do what is going to arrive on their dock. The person I talked to at B&H was able to confirm that "according to the information in their computer they expected a delivery on May 2nd." No different than you looking at a tracking number from UPS. It shows a box in transit, not what is in the box.

They are trying their best to give good customer service by passing on what info they have, which if it turns out to be wrong makes them the bad guy, which is wrong. Point your finger at Ricoh or maybe even the trucking company, but not at the retailers.
05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #356
B&H Photo Representative

Experience. Knowing what we've been told or assured or promised is not the same as having a pile of camera boxes on our loading dock from a recently offloaded delivery truck.
05-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #357

Just got an update from Amazon. Shipping tomorrow will arrive May 5th. Original preorder Feb 18th
05-03-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I got the email from Ricoh and decided to cancel my Amazon pre-order and order from them. Then after ordering, it says the item is not yet available and they'll let me know when it's in stock. Felt like a bait and switch. I hope they just hadn't updated their stock on the system or something.

I just feel like Ricoh should have them before Amazon anyway.

Either way, I got sick of waiting on Amazon and getting absolutely no indication from them when they will ever be getting the camera in stock. Of course, now I'm sure later today I'll start seeing happy Amazon pre-order people posting about how their cameras have shipped!
I went through the Ricoh check out process and as far as I'm concerned, the 3-7 business day for "delivery" sounds like ahead of B&H, for me at least. It's now a race. Who ships first. But yes, kinda annoyed that

B&H doesn't have enough stock to fill pre-orders
Ricoh says "Now Shipping" in email and status on completed order says "Will ship via - pre-order. We'll let you know when in stock."

Seriously, somebody needs to get their stories straight, especially for those of us on time-sensitive deadlines.

Will cancel or return the other and won't feel bad about it one bit. This is a little messy from the consumer standpoint.
05-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #359
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote

I apologize.
I still would love to see a shipping notice ASAP. I put off a trip to an aquarium until this coming Saturday, and I really hope to have it then. I did preorder 50 minutes after it was announced, so I hope mine goes out with the first shipment. I've been checking my email hourly hoping to see tracking.
05-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #360

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I still would love to see a shipping notice ASAP. I put off a trip to an aquarium until this coming Saturday, and I really hope to have it then. I did preorder 50 minutes after it was announced, so I hope mine goes out with the first shipment. I've been checking my email hourly hoping to see tracking.
I just talked to one of the CS at B&H today, they are expecting to have the camera on 5/5, I don't know if you can make it....
Closed Thread