Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 02:24 AM   #541

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I'm pretty shocked at that statement and would be interested in specific reasons why Nikon "Can't" compete with Pentax anymore? I'm curious as to what your experience is with various models between the two. Although I still have some pentax lenses, I went to Nikon because of the amount of features. Perhaps you simply don't know much about the various cameras they have. For instance, I shoot with the D300 & D700. I like the D300 because the colors and microcontrast are incredible, even for an 8 year old camera. It's has 51 focus points, all of which work great. The D700's focus points cover a larger area than the K-1 and the grain looks fantastic, to me, at high iso. I would take the Nikon D3S or D3X over the K-1 any day. I saw some sample photos of the K-1 and the color rendering looks much like the K-5, which I owned. Just doesn't look right for portraits especially. And the microcontrast is terrible imo. It's was always a challenge to get portraits to pop and get rid of the foggy appearance of K-5 photos. Out of all the cameras Nikon has to offer and the amount of features in each. I simply do not understand your comment. Nikon also has a larger assortment of incredible lenses, many of which can be had for less than pentax. Where is pentax's 85mm lens? 135mm f2 lens? I'm not a fanboy or trolling, i'm just telling it like I see it

Here is where I am coming from. If I pick up my D600 with a prime lens and take a shot free-hand, I will be seeing something like 24 Megapixel best case, but when you consider aliasing filter you lose something there, and you lose something with camera shake.

If I pick up a K-1 with similar prime lens, I expect to see 50 Megapixels, a real 50 Megapixels. But in my book, I judge resolution by color resolution. That 4x increase super color resolution mode is key for my needs. So, in a relative sense, you can say that D600 is providing about 20 Megapixel best case, while the K-1 is providing 50 Megapixels * 4 = 200 Megapixel (no its not 200 Megapixel but in a relative sense it is).

It is a 10x improved solution to what I can get out of any Nikon really in practice. Admittedly, I haven't gotten to experience the K-1 but trust it works as reported. In my lab, I have grown accustomed to capturing full color resolution per pixel, and that is my criteria for comparison. I expect the K-1 to be a game changer, because once you start getting per pixel color resolution, you really can't go back to the alternative.

05-05-2016, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #542

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I'm pretty shocked at that statement and would be interested in specific reasons why Nikon "Can't" compete with Pentax anymore? I'm curious as to what your experience is with various models between the two. Although I still have some pentax lenses, I went to Nikon because of the amount of features. Perhaps you simply don't know much about the various cameras they have. For instance, I shoot with the D300 & D700. I like the D300 because the colors and microcontrast are incredible, even for an 8 year old camera. It's has 51 focus points, all of which work great. The D700's focus points cover a larger area than the K-1 and the grain looks fantastic, to me, at high iso. I would take the Nikon D3S or D3X over the K-1 any day. I saw some sample photos of the K-1 and the color rendering looks much like the K-5, which I owned. Just doesn't look right for portraits especially. And the microcontrast is terrible imo. It's was always a challenge to get portraits to pop and get rid of the foggy appearance of K-5 photos. Out of all the cameras Nikon has to offer and the amount of features in each. I simply do not understand your comment. Nikon also has a larger assortment of incredible lenses, many of which can be had for less than pentax. Where is pentax's 85mm lens? 135mm f2 lens? I'm not a fanboy or trolling, i'm just telling it like I see it

I grew tired of Canon dragging its feet (11 year Canon user here) and being a primarily Landscape shooter, my choices were the A7r2, the D810 or the K1. I went with the K1 because it made sense to me. I think it will prove to be a D810 killer in several (but not all) areas especially for scapes. I also waited for a high res Foveon sensor by one of the big 3, which never came... The K1's color detail is stunning. Bayer's mush up color detail , and what I saw with the super res on the K1, blew me away. Add to that, exceptional DR and Hi-iso performance compared to, what to me was the benchmark landscape body (D810) at almost half the price, was an easy choice. The Astrotracker was icing on the cake.

The K1 RAW files have excellent latitude, me and a fellow photeg (D800 owner) said the K1 files looked cleaner than his D800 file at base and at high iso. For me coming from a 5d3, they were an eye opener...

Nikon and Canon are playing a hostage game of releasing crippled products because many of us are invested in glass. (Nikon is a bit better than Canon in this regard, but with Sony not playing nice with them, who knows where they will be in a few years).

For me, the K1 may not blow Nikon or Canon in every conceivable shooting scenario, but in the one that's important to me, the K1 + 15-30 looks like a much better value than the 5dsr + 11-24, or the D810 + 14-24. And the way, they go out to give the customer tools that Nikon/Canon hold back, this system looks very promising to invest for me...

Last edited by K-amps; 05-05-2016 at 05:58 AM.
05-05-2016, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #543

Photos: Gallery
Got a notice from Amazon. My K1 is out for delivery. Very excited. This will be my first Pentax and my first Full Frame. Switching over from Nikon.
05-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #544
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
One of the ironies of this shipping situation is that I see the customer in Switzerland expects to get their delivery Friday (shipped today from B&H) while my in country delivery to Houston (shipped today also) is scheduled for next Monday. Of course shipments overseas go directly by air - while the trip in the US involves a stop and transfer at the US hub (Atlanta?) and thus takes longer; just enough longer to put us into the weekend and thus Monday.

UPS now has my tracking number and confirms signature required - although they say they only have the computer label and haven't picked up the item.
However you will have no problem with warranty.
Not entirely sure why you'd have it shipped to switzerland from the US though, after customs and taxes it will barely be cheaper. I'd have considered ordering from France or Germany but I'd rather support the local store.

05-05-2016, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #545

QuoteOriginally posted by Jsimmermon Quote
Got a notice from Amazon. My K1 is out for delivery. Very excited. This will be my first Pentax and my first Full Frame. Switching over from Nikon.

Good decision, Enjoy the ride

05-05-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #546
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jsimmermon Quote
Congrats! I daresay you might miss the zippy Nikon autofocus, but I think you'll be quite pleased by the build quality and ergonomics.
05-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #547

Sadly, I had to cancel my preorder at the beginning of the week. Money I had saved for it will have to buy a transmission for my vehicle instead.

05-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #548
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslewis02 Quote
Sadly, I had to cancel my preorder at the beginning of the week. Money I had saved for it will have to buy a transmission for my vehicle instead.
Ouch.

Good things come to those who wait. You might end up saving a few hundred bucks.
05-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #549
Veteran Member

My K-1 has been delivered! But it's 45 miles away at home. This is going to be a long day at work!!!
05-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
My K-1 has been delivered! But it's 45 miles away at home. This is going to be a long day at work!!!
Isn't that why they invented PTO?
05-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Isn't that why they invented PTO?
I'm sure it is!
05-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #552

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
I grew tired of Canon dragging its feet (11 year Canon user here) and being a primarily Landscape shooter,

Nikon and Canon are playing a hostage game of releasing crippled products because many of us are invested in glass. (Nikon is a bit better than Canon in this regard, but with Sony not playing nice with them, who knows where they will be in a few years).

While Canon and Nikon may have played a hostage game of releasing crippled products you have to remember for years people were moaning on these forums about no full frame option from Pentax. D800 has been out for years and are you going to be shocked if Nikon and(or) Sony releases 50mp or 60mp camera in the next 12 months?

QuoteQuote:
For me, the K1 may not blow Nikon or Canon in every conceivable shooting scenario, but in the one that's important to me, the K1 + 15-30 looks like a much better value than the 5dsr + 11-24
It is a better value but is it still if you already have Canon glass? How much money/time do you end up losing on by switching your systems?

K1 is great but there is a never ending arms race with digital bodies. I know people keep switching back and forth = $$$
05-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So. B&H just told me June 1st. Maybe.

I edited out the rant. It isn't the waiting. I pre-ordered late; I get that. It is the constantly changing story, and that they laid it all off on Ricoh. I have completely lost confidence that I even have a place in line, or a real, valid order. I can imagine June 1st coming around and going through the same cycle, and it really does get pushed to August.

[Further Edit] Bought locally from Dealer stock. It was on the shelf.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-06-2016 at 06:14 AM.
05-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope its sooner than June. My pre-order was in prior to some of the dates some people on here mentioned who already got theirs. I'm not sure what order they are filling them in. June. Wow.
05-05-2016, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yesterday they told me I was good to go in the next batch, coming in on Friday. Somebody ain't tellin' the truth here.
I think the confusion on their part is that they know a 'delivery' is expected but they do not know what, exactly, is in the box. My first conversation with them indicated the delivery on Monday would have K-1's but from the delay in shipping I'm guessing the box had only lenses and no cameras. Just guessing of course but having been involved in the retail trade most of my life there is a never ending challenge to balance trying to make your customers happy while dealing with vendors that are less than forth coming with info. I remember far too many times I promised a customer something based on what a vendor told me or implied in a communication only to have egg on my face when I found the information I was given to be wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know whether to be angry or not, and if angry, at whom to direct my anger. I might just cancel altogether and stick to my original plan, which was, "Wait until August."
Hang in there. Remember the 645z, if you cancel now you go to the back of the line again. And just because they said June doesn't mean the info Ricoh just gave them is any more accurate than when they told you it would be in on Friday.

Bottom line the situation is normal, totally confused. Nobody knows anything and if they do they aren't talking to the likes of us.
Closed Thread